SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-03-2011, 10:51 PM
British Incursion

Registered SVX
Why do people use Lowering Clamps.

so I recently purchased a 1992 subaru svx, the last owner was a teenage kid who owned it for a few months, and traded it to a local dealership because he wanted something easier
To "modify".

at this time I had a 2002 lancer with the same dealership and could not afford another payment, but checked every week as the dealer lowered and lowered the price. it wasn't until I was in an accident and my lancer was wrecked that I purchased the car for the newly lowered price of 2500.

for the most part the car is in good shape, with exception to a faulty lock mechanism on the drivers side, and a poorly done lowering, involving 2 clamps on each of the front springs and what seems to be cut rear springs. Obviously this is causing issues, specifically with the rear wheel steering rubbing when on full lock. And the clamps smashing together on rough roads

I would like to remove the clamps from the front springs and replace the rear ones, but I understand there could be some safety issues with doing this. I will eventually buy new springs all around, so should I just wait till I can do that?
Old 11-04-2011, 02:07 AM

Registered SVX
Re: Why do people use Lowering Clamps.

You own a JDM Alcyone SVX with rear wheel steering? I think they are pretty rare if you are in the USA. If you are having rubbing/handling issues ,change all 4 springs for stock ones.
Old 11-04-2011, 08:23 AM

Registered SVX

you may be able to save money on the front springs by taking them to a local spring shop and having them "resprung". having them clamped down may have messed them up but should be fixable. you will have to replace the rear springs because they are progressive rate springs taking out a coil from the top or bottom will completely ruin them. you should post some pics of how it looks now, preferably with all 4 wheels turned.
Old 11-04-2011, 09:22 AM
Still Cant' Say the Z-Word

Send a message via AIM to LetItSnow
Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobymal View Post
You own a JDM Alcyone SVX with rear wheel steering?
According to the profile pic, nope.
Old 11-04-2011, 07:28 PM
British Incursion

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobymal View Post
You own a JDM Alcyone SVX with rear wheel steering? I think they are pretty rare if you are in the USA. If you are having rubbing/handling issues ,change all 4 springs for stock ones.
To be honest I'm assuming it has 4 wheel steering because I hear rubbing from the rear wheels when on full lock, a and my fathers svx had 4 wheel steering. His was when we were in England, I'm now in the usa.
Old 11-04-2011, 08:21 PM
There's a storm coming.

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX

"Why do people use Lowering Clamps."

Because they don't know any better?
the first equal length headers,
the first phenolic spacers,
the first Class Glass fiberglass hood,
the first with 4, 4.44s in his driveway

Fiberglass Hood thread
My locker
4.44 Swap link
Old 11-04-2011, 08:42 PM
work in progress

Send a message via AIM to LastSVXintheChi
Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sionide View Post
To be honest I'm assuming it has 4 wheel steering because I hear rubbing from the rear wheels when on full lock, a and my fathers svx had 4 wheel steering. His was when we were in England, I'm now in the usa.
I thought the 4 wheel steer only worked over 45mph?

1992 dark teal SVX LS
Old 11-04-2011, 10:48 PM

Send a message via AIM to Green1995SVX Send a message via Yahoo to Green1995SVX
Registered SVX Classic SVX

This thread is so full of fail.

USDM SVXs do NOT have active 4 wheel steering.
2001 Audi S8
Old 11-04-2011, 10:56 PM
some sort of nerd. some sort.
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
You sure it's wheels rubbing and not the AWD binding? That would be most noticeable on full lock.

But yea, no USDM SVX came with active 4WS. There are 2 JDM 4WS cars in California though . The only 4WS ones in the UK are imported JDM ones, btw.
'94 Laguna Blue LSi ~159k.......JDM ultra short-geared 3.900 STi Version 7 6-speed w/ Cobb shortshifter, ECUtune 244,8.1mm/256,9.1mm i/e cams, group N motor mounts, '97 grille, JDM clear corners, Momo JDM Legacy GT steering wheel, apkarian's LED tails, silver STi BBS wheels, PWR radiator, redstuff pads f/r, drilled/slotted rotors, bontragerworks rsb #18, Koni/GC 450f/375r coilovers, Megan Racing adjustable lateral links, KMac c/c plates, Stebro exhaust, ECUtune 1v5, Optima battery in the trunk where it belongs. Turbo project

'97 Ebony LSi ~137k #036.......Power mode mod, JDM clear corners, BBS wheels. AUX/pocket mod

Now a mod "over there" ............Photo album
Old 11-04-2011, 11:07 PM
Moar shifty!
Subaru Gold Contributor

Send a message via MSN to Crazy_pilot
Registered SVX

As stated, in the USDM the SVX did not come with active rear/4-wheel steering. It apparently has a manner of passive rear steering, which I believe implies that the alignment geometry is calibrated to generate some toe angle as the suspension compresses, effectively "steering" the wheels to a degree. The rear wheels rubbing while steering is probably just because the car is leaning over in the corners. Cut/clamped or not, the stock spring rates aren't exactly conducive to flat cornering.

My car rubbed for a while after lowering it. Then the tires wore through the plastic wheel well trim. All is now groovy.

92 Ebony Mica LS-L "A Rolling Restoration": 223,250 KM - Sleeping
2007 STi 6MT, Stance GR+ coilovers, PWR Rad, JDM hood badge, svxfiles 6000K HIDs, JDM Clear Corners, $15/15 min mod, $20/20 min mod, Energy Swaybar Bushings, Hella Supertones horns, Gold STi BBS rims, Group A lightweight crank pulley, A/C system removed, Custom header-back exhaust, Hybrid carbon/metal rear sway bar, restored headlights with CCFL halos
2008 Subaru Legacy Spec B - Diamond Grey Metallic - Sold
2020 Ram 1500 Longhorn - Red Pearl

Last edited by Crazy_pilot; 11-04-2011 at 11:09 PM.
Old 11-05-2011, 10:56 AM
British Incursion

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by icingdeath88 View Post
You sure it's wheels rubbing and not the AWD binding? That would be most noticeable on full lock.

But yea, no USDM SVX came with active 4WS. There are 2 JDM 4WS cars in California though . The only 4WS ones in the UK are imported JDM ones, btw.
Worth looking into. I assume putting a fuse in the fwd slot and then trying to see if it still does it would be an ample test, correct? Or is there a better way to go about it?

As for the springs, I see a site selling a set for just under 400, not bad at all, so I'll go ahead and order those.

Bad thing is I work at a dorman auto parts warehouse, and we carry no parts for them. I knew that when I purchased her though.
Old 11-05-2011, 03:01 PM
There's a storm coming.

Quote:
Worth looking into. I assume putting a fuse in the fwd slot and then trying to see if it still does it would be an ample test, correct? Or is there a better way to go about it?

As for the springs, I see a site selling a set for just under 400, not bad at all, so I'll go ahead and order those.

Bad thing is I work at a dorman auto parts warehouse, and we carry no parts for them. I knew that when I purchased her though.
http://svx-motorsport-accessories.st...opsprings.html

Fiberglass Hood thread
My locker
4.44 Swap link
Old 11-05-2011, 08:41 PM
some sort of nerd. some sort.
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
That would be a good start, but it won't be conclusive one way or the other. Give it a try.

Quote:
Have heard some negative things about those particular springs. If you have the budget for it, get koni/ground control coilovers, they are adjustable height, and just awesome overall. If you just want stock springs, I'm sure you can find some here on the forums for sale.
'94 Laguna Blue LSi ~159k.......JDM ultra short-geared 3.900 STi Version 7 6-speed w/ Cobb shortshifter, ECUtune 244,8.1mm/256,9.1mm i/e cams, group N motor mounts, '97 grille, JDM clear corners, Momo JDM Legacy GT steering wheel, apkarian's LED tails, silver STi BBS wheels, PWR radiator, redstuff pads f/r, drilled/slotted rotors, bontragerworks rsb #18, Koni/GC 450f/375r coilovers, Megan Racing adjustable lateral links, KMac c/c plates, Stebro exhaust, ECUtune 1v5, Optima battery in the trunk where it belongs. Turbo project

'97 Ebony LSi ~137k #036.......Power mode mod, JDM clear corners, BBS wheels. AUX/pocket mod

Now a mod "over there" ............Photo album
Old 11-05-2011, 08:45 PM
There's a storm coming.

Quote:
Originally Posted by icingdeath88 View Post
That would be a good start, but it won't be conclusive one way or the other. Give it a try.

Have heard some negative things about those particular springs. If you have the budget for it, get koni/ground control coilovers, they are adjustable height, and just awesome overall. If you just want stock springs, I'm sure you can find some here on the forums for sale.
Ground control.
5" front springs
7" rear springs

Fiberglass Hood thread
My locker
4.44 Swap link
Old 11-05-2011, 10:20 PM

Send a message via AIM to Green1995SVX Send a message via Yahoo to Green1995SVX
Registered SVX Classic SVX

I have the motorsport springs. I'm not satisfied with the ride, and the finish on them has completely flaked off and the springs have begun to rust. They are not a quality product. They do make the car look good, though.

I intend on upgrading to the konis and ground controls.
2001 Audi S8