How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 09-20-2011, 09:44 PM
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX
Re: Is the guy at Advance Auto full of it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92snowmachine View Post
you may get more life out of them if you run them down before putting them back on the charger.
+1 biggest reason why laptop batteries typically wouldn't last long is because they stayed plugged in most of their lives. Charge, drain a bit, charge, etc is much better and makes them last much longer.
Old 09-21-2011, 06:33 AM
Uses the ignore feature

Registered SVX

I got the battery tested at Sears last night and it tested out OK there too. The thing is, they only test the cranking ability and not the reserve capacity so I don't know if the battery is good in that respect. The reserve capacity is supposed to be 110 minutes at 25A of draw. I bought a multimeter with a current clamp (always wanted one) and tested the car under the same exact conditions as the other day. I discovered one thing I didn't think of...the radiator fans. Even though the A/C wasn't on, the car had warmed up enough to kick on the fans. I have no idea how long those fans were running the other day out of the 30 minutes total time I was sitting there. But when they are on, the draw is 35A. I would think the battery should still be OK with a 35A draw for 30 minutes but I don't know how much faster the reserve capacity draws down at 35A versus 25A. I do know it is not proportional. So it looks like I probably did draw down most of the reserve capacity. After the car sat there for another hour or so, it was able to start. So what probably happened is that the reserve was heavily depleted AND the battery got pretty warm. Once the battery cooled down, there was enough reserve left and sufficient voltage to start the car. Ironically, this probably wouldn't have happened in the winter time as those radiator fans would not have been on or been on for very long. Those suckers draw a HUGE amount of current!

Thanks again for the info on the deep cycle batteries. I will definitely change them out before the spring thaw and maybe even before the November rains.

1996 Polo Green Subaru SVX LSi, 168,XXX miles, Redline D4 ATF, Redline 75W90 gear oil, K&N HP-4001 Oil Filter, Mobil 1 5W50 FS (3qt) and 5W30 High Mileage (4qt) Oil Blend, Motul RBF600 Brake Fluid, AC Delco A975C Air Filter, NGK BKR6EIX-11 plugs, Centric Rotors, Power Stop Evolution Carbon Fiber Ceramic Brake Pads
2005 Gray Acura RL, 165,XXX miles, Redline D4 ATF with Lubegard Platinum Protectant, Mobil 1 5W20 High Mileage Extended Performance Oil
2009 Red Toyota Venza, 123,XXX, Mobil 1 5W30 High Mileage Oil
1992 Red Ferrari 348 ts, 82,XXX, Redline everything
Old 09-21-2011, 09:18 AM

Registered SVX

I use batteries in my video work . it is proportional . If I use a 25 Watt light I will drain my battery in 2.5 hours .. If I run the 50W light I run my battery down in is just over an hour The battery is ratted in AH= Amp hours a 12 AH battery will power a 1 am unit for 12 hours a 14 amp unit for 1/2 hr and a 35 amp unit for about 20 min . So u sound like you have a 40 ah battery . 24 amps = 300watts and 35 amp = 420 watts
Old 09-21-2011, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huskymaniac View Post
The battery weakened to the point of not being able to start the car.
It has been several years since this happened and I don't remember the details but something I was doing to the car required that the ignition switch had to be turned to "run". This condition was only for a few minutes, but when I tried to start the car, it wouldn't fire up and I had to wait a bit to get the ignition system to fire. I didn't try to find out why, but simply haven't done that again.

You did not say what happened when you tried to start your car after having the ignition switch to run for "about 30 minutes", but my solution was simply to get the battery charged and go on with my life. Needless to say, I have not let any car sit there with the ignition switch on for an extended amount of time again!

Costco batteries are great and they do not even have a way to test them, if you bring one back during the warranty period, which is a great warranty period, they will just replace it. No questions asked.

Good luck!

Keith

Last edited by kwren; 09-21-2011 at 10:21 AM.
Old 09-21-2011, 10:37 AM

the "deep cycle batteries" unrelated thing.

I am in the process of installing a rod iron fence with an electric automatic gate. This gate is a double 8+ feet high, 16 ft wide, commercial type, with two openers. I plan to totally use solar power with no electrical supply to charge the system. I also am building columns that will each have 3 candelabra bulbs on column that will be illuminated for approximately 4 hours every evening. Our "November rainy season" here in western Washington state lasts a little over 11 months.

Question... Without no transformer to charge the "deep cycle battery, and only solar, does anyone besides me think this will work? Any input appreciated.

Keith
Old 09-21-2011, 11:17 AM
1995 Subaru SVX LSi Polo Green

Send a message via ICQ to Manarius Send a message via AIM to Manarius Send a message via MSN to Manarius Send a message via Yahoo to Manarius Send a message via Skype™ to Manarius
Registered SVX

Quote:
I discovered one thing I didn't think of...the radiator fans. Even though the A/C wasn't on, the car had warmed up enough to kick on the fans. I have no idea how long those fans were running the other day out of the 30 minutes total time I was sitting there. But when they are on, the draw is 35A. I would think the battery should still be OK with a 35A draw for 30 minutes but I don't know how much faster the reserve capacity draws down at 35A versus 25A.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manarius View Post
Well, if the blower fan was on, that would mean you had the car in the "ON" position, not the "ACC" position. In the "ON" position, more than just the blower and radio are on. The whole ignition system is also primed and ready to go. So, that includes the igniter, all the coils, the fuel pump, the radiator fans, etc. So, for 30 minutes for the car to sit in the "ON" position without the car being on with all that stuff going seems pretty reasonable to weaken the battery to the point of not being able to start the car.

I never leave the car in the "ON" position unless the engine is actually running. I don't want to burn up the coils or igniter for no good reason.
Moral to the story is, if you're sitting in the car, either ACC or engine running. Sitting in the "ON" position is no bueno.
(8/23/07-Present) 1995 Subaru SVX LSi (197k) Polo Green (#1102) 03/95
Mods: DDM Tuning 4500k 35w Low Beam HID, 100w H3 Bulbs, Extra Ground Cables, 15 minute $12.96 mod,
svxfiles designed transmission mount (), sporting a "new" tail light bar,
silver BBS rims, custom power steering cooler (one that doesn't dump ATF constantly), new negative lead cable, no more third or fourth gear
(1977-Present) 1977 Chevrolet Corvette (81k) Silver
(12/01/2011-Present) 2005 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited 5MT (97k)
I have a bad feeling about this.
-Obi Wan Kenobi
Old 09-21-2011, 11:37 AM
dances with roads

Registered SVX

Quote:
I have an unrelated question for you. I have a battery backup sump pump. It was installed in January 2006. The batteries are deep cycle batteries from Interstate. They have been on a battery monitor/charger for these 5+ years. Any idea how long I should keep them before replacing them? I am starting to get some stuff seeping out of the caps so I suspect they are at the end of their useful life.
A new battery is cheap insurance.

My dad's battery sump pump failed 20 minutes into the Irene-induced power outage. Cause was an old battery, which turned out to have almost no reserve power. Result was a lost night's sleep for him and me, failure to get the pump rigged up to a car battery before the basement flooded, and a $2400 bill for cleanup/dryout/decontamination.
2012 Tacoma 4wd v6 Access Cab
2013 Mercedes E350 4Matic Wagon
2005 STi - totaled after 10 great years
1994 SVX LSi 5spd - sold but not forgotten
2000 Legacy GT 5spd sedan - gone after 150K miles of bliss
Old 09-21-2011, 12:23 PM
Uses the ignore feature

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdb View Post

My dad's battery sump pump failed 20 minutes into the Irene-induced power outage. Cause was an old battery, which turned out to have almost no reserve power. Result was a lost night's sleep for him and me, failure to get the pump rigged up to a car battery before the basement flooded, and a $2400 bill for cleanup/dryout/decontamination.
That sucks. If there is any place with worse weather and water problems than here, it is NE PA. How old was the battery?

1996 Polo Green Subaru SVX LSi, 168,XXX miles, Redline D4 ATF, Redline 75W90 gear oil, K&N HP-4001 Oil Filter, Mobil 1 5W50 FS (3qt) and 5W30 High Mileage (4qt) Oil Blend, Motul RBF600 Brake Fluid, AC Delco A975C Air Filter, NGK BKR6EIX-11 plugs, Centric Rotors, Power Stop Evolution Carbon Fiber Ceramic Brake Pads
2005 Gray Acura RL, 165,XXX miles, Redline D4 ATF with Lubegard Platinum Protectant, Mobil 1 5W20 High Mileage Extended Performance Oil
Old 09-26-2011, 10:30 AM
dances with roads

Registered SVX

Quote:
How old was the battery?
5 or 6 years.
2012 Tacoma 4wd v6 Access Cab
2013 Mercedes E350 4Matic Wagon
2005 STi - totaled after 10 great years
1994 SVX LSi 5spd - sold but not forgotten
2000 Legacy GT 5spd sedan - gone after 150K miles of bliss
Old 10-24-2011, 09:44 PM
Uses the ignore feature

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdb View Post

Update on this. I drove to a side of our neighborhood I don't usually drive to. Why? The Servicemaster van was in the driveway of one of my neighbors. They also had a dumpster full of debris. Next door to them I saw a very long corrugated pipe coming from their neighbor's house. I'm guessing those two tropical storm remnants flooded basements of houses that don't usually get water.

So I am starting to look more closely at replacement batteries. I have two currently hooked up to my backup pump. The manual for the pump says the pump can run for 9 hours on a typical group 27 deep cycle battery (rated for 105 AH when drained over 20 hours). The two batteries I have now are blemished Interstate SRM-27B batteries. They have a 20 hour rating of 102 AH. They are made by Johnson Controls. I can replace them with full cost versions of the same model from Interstate.

Sears has recently switched from JCI to Deka batteries. For the same cost as the full price SRM-27B ($115 each), I can get a Deka DP31DT which has a 20 hour capacity of 100 AH. While slightly less capacity, Deka batteries (made in the Reading, PA area) are supposedly much better batteries with a longer operating life.

Another, cheaper, option is to buy a JCI battery from Autozone. They have the JCI SRM-24 for $80 and each battery has a 20 hour capacity of 86 AH. That is a better deal but it is a JCI versus a Deka.

I am leaning toward the Deka due to reliability. With two of those batteries my pump can run continuously for 16 hours verus 13 with the Autozone JCI battery. And those run times assume pumping 900 gallons per hour at 10'. I don't think our pump rate gets quite that high nor are we pumping up a full 10'. Plus, we have a bit of a siphoning effect as the outlet is below the pump level in the back yard so that helps a little.

Anyone have any experience with Deka/East Penn batteries?

Old 10-25-2011, 07:16 AM
Uses the ignore feature

Registered SVX

On a related note, does anyone live near the East Penn factory that might be coming up to NY soon? I hear they have a factory store and the batteries are a great deal there.

Old 10-25-2011, 08:31 AM

Registered SVX

i see a lot of deka batteries in work vans/trucks. they seem to do the job but have problems with corrosion and leaking out. they still function fine but always seem to look terrible. don't know why, could be the way the customers treat them. if you buy the deka battery i would set them on battery mat just in case.
Old 10-25-2011, 08:51 AM
Freezepop's are Awesome!!!!
Subaru Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Hocrest

Quote:
On a related note, does anyone live near the East Penn factory that might be coming up to NY soon? I hear they have a factory store and the batteries are a great deal there.
Do you have an address?
Old 10-25-2011, 09:59 AM
Uses the ignore feature

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hocrest View Post
Do you have an address?
Deka Road
Lyon Station, PA 19536

There is also a facility in Yeadon and Pittsburgh.

Old 10-25-2011, 10:00 AM
Uses the ignore feature

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92snowmachine View Post
i see a lot of deka batteries in work vans/trucks. they seem to do the job but have problems with corrosion and leaking out. they still function fine but always seem to look terrible. don't know why, could be the way the customers treat them. if you buy the deka battery i would set them on battery mat just in case.
I'm curious to see how they compare to the Interstate JCI batteries I have now. Those are leaking quite a bit. I think the stuff I am seeing is lead sulfide crystals.