Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 08-17-2011, 08:06 PM

some trans questions

I have a 92 LSi that I am parting out. my goal is to yank the engine (already done) the engine harness, and the ECU for a standalone build to be swapped into my 03 Baja. Also I am contemplating swapping the svx springs into the baja as well.

The baja is a 5spd AWD and I want to butt the EG3.3 up to this trans. I have 123K miles on the baja clutch and I routinely use it to pull an 18 foot bass boat, so it's almost time to replace the clutch any way. I was just gonna order a clutch set for an 03 wrx, I figure it has 227 HP and the EG3.3 is 230. I am wondering if there is any difference between a turbo clutch and non turbo clutch. I think read somewhere that one is a push type clutch and the other is a pull type? Can anyone relate to this? I would think they are all push type, meaning when you push the clutch pedal down, the clutch fork pushes the throw-out bearing into the pressure plate, lifting the pressure plate off the clutch disk allowing it to float between the pressure plate and flywheel, and then of course when releasing the clutch pedal the pressure plate sandwiches the disk between itself and the flywheel.

The main thing I am trying to do is get a clutch and pressure plate out of something with similar power. The ultimate goal is to run the baja with the EG3.3 in it permanently and leave the EG3.3 stock. I can use the extra power to pull the boat around, and for getting up some of the steeper boat ramps.

If the swap goes well and everything is good then I will just run it like that.

If there is a difference between the turbo and non turbo clutches, is there anything else that's closer to 230HP non turbo? The baja is only 170HP and I wouldn't wanna get a baja clutch set to run with the 60HP difference unless that was the only way.
Old 08-17-2011, 09:53 PM
Takin tools to task

Send a message via MSN to NikFu S.
Registered SVX
You may be able to stick with a non-turbo clutch setup if you can find an aftermarket disc and pressure plate with higher torque ratings.

I've spent the last hour and a half researching your push vs. pull question just so I could answer it, and while I have yet to find a conclusive answer this is how I understand it to work:

Both push and pull clutch types "push" in reference to the direction of the vehicle (forward, release bearing engaging the flywheel), but in reference to each other the slave cylinder is either exerted toward or inserted away from the clutch release lever.

WRX clutch is pull type, the slave cylinder pushes a lever forward that pulls the release bearing away from the plate towards the back of the car when the clutch pedal is pushed in. The clutch engages as the slave cylinder actuator is pulled away and the release spring contracts, pulling the lever and bearing into the pressure plate.

Your MT is a push type. The slave cylinder is flipped around the other direction mounted backwards to the WRX cylinder, and pushes the lever opposite direction to the WRX, pushing the release bearing forward as the pedal is retracted, engaging the clutch.

So, in simple terms, a push versus pull type clutch system depends on whether the slave cylinder goes in or out when the clutch is engaged.
[Afterthought:] And of course, the master cylinder or pedal actuators would have to work backwards as well, pulling and pushing line pressure either in or out.
I hope that isn't wrong.

'92 Dark Teal SVX LS-L, >146,000m
3 pedals, 5 speeds., restoration underway.
2012 Honda Insight, slow but cute.

Last edited by NikFu S.; 08-17-2011 at 10:10 PM.
Old 08-17-2011, 09:58 PM
some sort of nerd. some sort.
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX
Re: some trans questions

Take a look at your trans. If the slave cylinder is in front of the clutch fork and pushes the top of the clutch fork forward, then it's a pull-type clutch. If the opposite, then you have a push-type. Here is some more info: http://www.iwsti.com/forums/drivetra...push-type.html

Google should yield quite a bit of info on the differences.

Pull- and push-type clutches are NOT interchangeable. It seems like the turbo Subies are usually pull-type, and non-turbos are push type. However (double check this) I think the 08+ STis have push-type now. Not sure about the WRXes.

Also the STi and WRX clutches are not quite interchangeable, the throw-out bearings and the part of the pressure plate that the TOB interfaces with have different diameters. With some other parts, an STi one can be made to work in a WRX trans though.

Short answer: you've probably got a push-type and you should just get a higher-rated clutch/pp.

Also, lets see some pics of the Baja.
'94 Laguna Blue LSi ~159k.......JDM ultra short-geared 3.900 STi Version 7 6-speed w/ Cobb shortshifter, ECUtune 244,8.1mm/256,9.1mm i/e cams, group N motor mounts, '97 grille, JDM clear corners, Momo JDM Legacy GT steering wheel, apkarian's LED tails, silver STi BBS wheels, PWR radiator, redstuff pads f/r, drilled/slotted rotors, bontragerworks rsb #18, Koni/GC 450f/375r coilovers, Megan Racing adjustable lateral links, KMac c/c plates, Stebro exhaust, ECUtune 1v5, Optima battery in the trunk where it belongs. Turbo project

'97 Ebony LSi ~137k #036.......Power mode mod, JDM clear corners, BBS wheels. AUX/pocket mod

Now a mod "over there" ............Photo album
Old 08-17-2011, 10:01 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikFu S. View Post
You may be able to stick with a non-turbo clutch setup if you can find an aftermarket disc and pressure plate with higher torque ratings.

I've spent the last hour and a half researching your push vs. pull question just so I could answer it, and while I have yet to find a conclusive answer this is how I understand it to work:

Both push and pull clutch types "push" in reference to the direction of the vehicle (forward, release bearing toward the flywheel), but in reference to each other the slave cylinder is either exerted toward or inserted away from the clutch release lever.

WRX clutch is pull type, the slave cylinder pushes a lever forward that pulls the release bearing away from the plate towards the back of the car when the clutch pedal is pushed in. The clutch engages as the slave cylinder actuator is pulled away and the release spring contracts, pulling the lever and bearing into the pressure plate.

Your MT is a push type. The slave cylinder is flipped around the other direction mounted backwards to the WRX cylinder, and pushes the lever opposite direction to the WRX, pushing the release bearing forward as the pedal is retracted, engaging the clutch.

So, in simple terms, a push versus pull type clutch system depends on whether the slave cylinder goes in or out when the clutch is engaged.
I hope that isn't wrong.
Nope, not quite. Took me a long time to figure it out with the parts in hand, it is confusing the first time you encounter them. I still don't understand the advantage of either type, other than being able to have the Slave cylinder in different places.
'94 Laguna Blue LSi ~159k.......JDM ultra short-geared 3.900 STi Version 7 6-speed w/ Cobb shortshifter, ECUtune 244,8.1mm/256,9.1mm i/e cams, group N motor mounts, '97 grille, JDM clear corners, Momo JDM Legacy GT steering wheel, apkarian's LED tails, silver STi BBS wheels, PWR radiator, redstuff pads f/r, drilled/slotted rotors, bontragerworks rsb #18, Koni/GC 450f/375r coilovers, Megan Racing adjustable lateral links, KMac c/c plates, Stebro exhaust, ECUtune 1v5, Optima battery in the trunk where it belongs. Turbo project

'97 Ebony LSi ~137k #036.......Power mode mod, JDM clear corners, BBS wheels. AUX/pocket mod

Old 08-17-2011, 10:07 PM
Takin tools to task

Send a message via MSN to NikFu S.
Registered SVX
No? What's wrong with what I said?

'92 Dark Teal SVX LS-L, >146,000m
3 pedals, 5 speeds., restoration underway.
2012 Honda Insight, slow but cute.
Old 08-18-2011, 05:19 AM
Inventor of the 5-speed swap

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX

Have to use a non-turbo clutch for a non-turbo transmission...pick up an ACT set, and you'll be fine.
88 XT6 AWD 5-Speed "Bride of FrankenWedge"
15 Impreza Premium Sedan
15 Crosstrek XV 5-Speed
My 5-Speed "How-To" Write-up
1976 Pontiac Firebird Formula
Current Count of Subaru's Owned.... "70"
Old 08-18-2011, 10:08 AM

This is the baja when I first got it.
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...type=1&theater

After some minor bodywork and prepped for paint.

This is how it looks today.

I tried to post up the images but it didn't work so I put up some links. Thanks for the help guys.
Also anyone know if the 3.0 was offered in a manual trans? Just a thought.
I still don't fully understand the difference in the clutches, but I am sure once I get mine torn apart I will be able SEE what's going on there and then it will make sense, I am a hands on or visual learner anyways.

Last edited by Subaru Alliance; 08-18-2011 at 10:28 AM.
Old 08-18-2011, 11:05 AM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subaru Alliance View Post
Also anyone know if the 3.0 was offered in a manual trans? Just a thought.
In the US, it doesn't look like it, some other markets yes. Actually, since the XT6, Subaru hasn't offered a H-6 + m/t combo in the US at all.

I have always had a soft spot for the Baja, and I wouldn't mind a turbo one one of these days. I'm really digging the single-tone instead of the two-tone, looks very nice.

I know that us SVX peeps are supposed to be pissed about swaps into other cars, but I think the Baja would be pretty great with the H6. As big as it was, it probably should have come with one from factory.

Old 08-18-2011, 05:57 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by icingdeath88 View Post
Nope, not quite. Took me a long time to figure it out with the parts in hand, it is confusing the first time you encounter them. I still don't understand the advantage of either type, other than being able to have the Slave cylinder in different places.
The difference is in the clutch fingers. The push has the clutch finger pivoted in the center, the pressure plate connected to the outside end and the pedal connected to the inside end. So the throw-out pushes the inside end, the finger pivots in the center and the pressure plate is pulled back by the outside end.

The pull type has the finger pivoted at the outside end, pressure plate connected to the finger center, and the throw-out pulling the inside end back.

The advantage is that you can use a heaver clutch pressure spring, but the pedal is easier to push, due to the longer finger lever increasing the mechanical advantage of the finger.

Hows that clear as mud.

Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.
Old 08-19-2011, 10:18 AM

LOL yes that is clear as mud. thanks for the info guys
Old 08-19-2011, 10:32 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by oab_au View Post
Hows that clear as mud.
Actually that clears it up pretty well. Just high school physics, spinning around really fast.