Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 06-27-2011, 04:13 PM
The Molinator

Mounts & Bushings.. Subframes & Other Mounts.. .

I've got a strange creeking I'm getting when I suddenly accelerate from stop when turning sharply (right or left) .. It has been going on for over a year..

I don't know how to evaluate Mounts and Bushings for adequacy.. or for this noise (creeking, rotational) .. Please advise if this noise cud be generated by a bad bushing or mount .. and HOW any (engine, AT, A-Arm, Sub-Frame or related) Mount/Bushing could be evaluated practically.. ??

Thanks..
2013 Veloster Red - Driver Now??Dropsprings [1/2" rear, 1" front] with Koni Strut Inserts> Magnaflow Exhaust System> ECUTune Stage 1av1 Upgrade (from 1v4)> ECUTune TCU MOD> Aluminum Crankshaft Pulley> Stainless Brake Lines> Phenolic Spacers> Perforated Brake Rotors (dint like, OEM now)> SmallCar Shift Kit (resting since TCU MOD)> 7-Position Ground System> High-Pressure Fuel Pressure Regulator (resting)> ATF Cooler & Campaign Filter> Yellow Polish Polyurethane Bushings> Pioneer Double-DIN Stereo with JL AUDIO Speakers> Driveshaft Rebuilt with C-Clip U-Joints> 15 Min MOD> 20 Min MOD .. . (2011)
Valentine One Radar Detector with Remote Display - ucan'tseeme!
Old 06-27-2011, 06:21 PM
It's just a phase

Send a message via Yahoo to msvx95
Registered SVX
Re: Mounts & Bushings.. Subframes & Other Mounts.. .

+1 to this question...also how often should we replace the A-arm and subframe bushings?
How can you tell when they are toast?
Old 06-30-2011, 03:42 PM
The Molinator

ANY INFO GUYS.. ON THESE BUSHINGS.. AND MOUNTS???

HeLp!

Thanks..
2013 Veloster Red - Driver Now??Dropsprings [1/2" rear, 1" front] with Koni Strut Inserts> Magnaflow Exhaust System> ECUTune Stage 1av1 Upgrade (from 1v4)> ECUTune TCU MOD> Aluminum Crankshaft Pulley> Stainless Brake Lines> Phenolic Spacers> Perforated Brake Rotors (dint like, OEM now)> SmallCar Shift Kit (resting since TCU MOD)> 7-Position Ground System> High-Pressure Fuel Pressure Regulator (resting)> ATF Cooler & Campaign Filter> Yellow Polish Polyurethane Bushings> Pioneer Double-DIN Stereo with JL AUDIO Speakers> Driveshaft Rebuilt with C-Clip U-Joints> 15 Min MOD> 20 Min MOD .. . (2011)

Last edited by James Scott; 06-30-2011 at 03:46 PM.
Old 06-30-2011, 08:20 PM

Registered SVX

I got a squeak in the right rear on the 92 Pearlie . Sounds like the rear seat is not fully attached , It only does it for the first 5 miles on really bumpy roads , after it has sat for 3 or 4 days. What do we think it is /
Old 07-01-2011, 05:55 PM
The Molinator

If you have Polyurethane swaybar bushings.. spray with silicone spray.. (If not, spray all visible rubber bushings.. . like trailing arm, lateral arms, subframe, rear diff crossmember, etc.).. . WORKED FOR ME!

I had years-old squeek on rear suspension compression.. completely disappear after spraying poly swaybar bushings (as mentioned by Tom).. . I thot it was bad Koni shock!

Old 07-05-2011, 09:26 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to alia176

All of our cars are getting long in the tooth so I bet our rubber bushings are nearing their time for replacement.

Swapping out bushings in the front lower arms sounds like a PITA. May be worth buying the whole arm with the bushings already loaded in them. The rear arm bushings may be easier to r/r by placing them in a press and pushing out the old bushings and pushing in the new bushings. Again, if you don't have access to these types of tools or are not comfortable with this type of work, it may be better for you to buy that component with the bushings pre-loaded. You'll need to weigh in the costs of various options.

Evaluation of bushings:
- check for visible cracks and tears
- move the item so that you can make the rubber stretch and deform. Usually a pry bar can be used to forcibly move a part.
- Ideally, if you can unload the suspension part and then move it that'd be great. But, that means that the struts will need to be removed and that in itself require a special tool and some knowledge due to the safety concerns of this procedure.

'92 SVX LSL
'03 4Runner
'96 FZJ80 Landcruiser
'90 Mercedes 300E
Old 07-05-2011, 12:53 PM
The Molinator

Is PITA that Animal worshipping organization.. that Al Gore is a member of.. ??

I hope others.. with experience with these bushings/mounts.. will chime in on this subject.. ?? OR lemme know where previous threads are on this subject?

Thanks..

Last edited by James Scott; 07-05-2011 at 12:58 PM.
Old 07-05-2011, 01:30 PM
some sort of nerd. some sort.
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Scott View Post
Is PITA that Animal worshipping organization.. that Al Gore is a member of.. ??
PITA = pain in the a**.

PETA is what you're thinking of.
'94 Laguna Blue LSi ~159k.......JDM ultra short-geared 3.900 STi Version 7 6-speed w/ Cobb shortshifter, ECUtune 244,8.1mm/256,9.1mm i/e cams, group N motor mounts, '97 grille, JDM clear corners, Momo JDM Legacy GT steering wheel, apkarian's LED tails, silver STi BBS wheels, PWR radiator, redstuff pads f/r, drilled/slotted rotors, bontragerworks rsb #18, Koni/GC 450f/375r coilovers, Megan Racing adjustable lateral links, KMac c/c plates, Stebro exhaust, ECUtune 1v5, Optima battery in the trunk where it belongs. Turbo project

'97 Ebony LSi ~137k #036.......Power mode mod, JDM clear corners, BBS wheels. AUX/pocket mod

Now a mod "over there" ............Photo album
Old 07-05-2011, 01:50 PM
The Molinator

Sorry.. . Just KiDdInG! BUT, ThAnKs! I dint know.. .

BUT... TELL US ABOUT THE BUSHINGS/MOUNTS.. . PLEEZ..

HeLp?
Old 07-11-2011, 08:21 PM
The Molinator

WELL.. Seems like my creaking/rotational issue was the center bearing! Yea! Hope I'm not premature.. haven't driven yet.. BUT, seemed very much to be the problem after part was replaced.. .

Thanks..
Old 07-18-2011, 03:33 PM
The Molinator

Yep! .. The creaking/rotational noise went away .. It was the center bearing. YEAH!

Now.. As I had feared when I took the front driveshaft off the center bearing .. It appears the U-Joint on that front driveshaft is bad. One pivot point was smooth.. the other, sorta smooth in the straight position, but very tight turning either way. Does anyone know about rebuilding these? or buying a used one? cuz all you can buy on SubaruParts.com is an entire 2-piece driveshaft for ~$400!

I get a droning sound now at about 2000 rpm in Drive .. I think it's the U-Joint!

Thanks..
Old 07-18-2011, 04:39 PM

Take it to a driveline shop. They should be able to rebuild it if anyone can.
Old 07-18-2011, 04:50 PM
some sort of nerd. some sort.
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

See here: http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=56689
'94 Laguna Blue LSi ~159k.......JDM ultra short-geared 3.900 STi Version 7 6-speed w/ Cobb shortshifter, ECUtune 244,8.1mm/256,9.1mm i/e cams, group N motor mounts, '97 grille, JDM clear corners, Momo JDM Legacy GT steering wheel, apkarian's LED tails, silver STi BBS wheels, PWR radiator, redstuff pads f/r, drilled/slotted rotors, bontragerworks rsb #18, Koni/GC 450f/375r coilovers, Megan Racing adjustable lateral links, KMac c/c plates, Stebro exhaust, ECUtune 1v5, Optima battery in the trunk where it belongs. Turbo project

'97 Ebony LSi ~137k #036.......Power mode mod, JDM clear corners, BBS wheels. AUX/pocket mod

Now a mod "over there" ............Photo album