How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-04-2010, 10:22 PM

Exclamation Big Decison

hey guys you have always had good advice for me! so im comming to you guys for help.
okay, this is my problem
I bought my svx like 2 monthes before i found out that my girl friend was pregant so i ended up haveing to drive around a coupe, having to put her in the back seat...
also i have been having alot of issues ever sence i bought the car and im not very machcanicaly inclined so i have been putting lots of money in to fixing it...
sence i bought it i have put in
Water pump
Timing belt
Radiator
fuel pump... soon to be twice :*(

i want to keep my svx but i also was thinking about getting an impreza, because its only a 4 cylinder and i will get better gas mileage and being a newer car hope it wont break down as much!(i hope) and the 4 doors for my new daughter, but if i buy an impreza it will be very expensive and i will have to make payments every month, but i was thinking by the amount of money i have been putting in my svx that it will even out and at the end i will have a newer car...

So, i don't know if i should get a newer car or just keep fixing my svx because maybe this time i wont have as many problems after i fix the fuel pump the second time with diffent parts (suppobly better parts...)

So the real question is wether to keep puting money into my svx, or shoot to buy a newer impreza hopeing it will run longer and not have as much problems as my beloved svx....
so that in the long run i could be saving some money

So to keep my svx or to start anew with an impreza
Old 12-04-2010, 10:30 PM

Registered SVX
Re: Big Desison

If you decide to sell shoot me a PM. I may be interested. What are the specifics? mileage, condition, problems, etc.

'92 Ls-L Dark Teal
11:1 CR ECUTUNE pistons
ECUTUNE .256 duration intake/exhaust cams
ECUTUNE STAGE 2AV1 ECU
Z32 MAF/SR20DET injectors
Balanced & Blueprinted
Old 12-05-2010, 05:51 AM
Happy SVX
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

I know when my 1st one was born I had a Ford Probe and it was very difficult to get that infant car seat in and out. We had the kind that is rear facing and the seat part clipped in and out of a base. It was difficult to angle that seat with a baby inside it past the front seat. I didn't like the way I had to lean in with the weight of the baby extended while got it in the right position for the base. I was worried I was going tweak my back every time I did it. Once it was snapped in, the front seat had to be pretty far forward too. For me that wasn't working and I ended up selling to buy a 4 door. I do regret selling that car though, I should have just parked it for a year since it was paid off already.

Anyhow you will probably get a car seat prior to the baby being born. Once you get it, see how hard it is to get in and out, keep in mind it will weight 20lb more.
1992 SVX LSL 5-Speed Sold at 180K 2019
1995 SVX Lsi Polo Sold at 118K 2007
Old 12-05-2010, 06:32 AM
Have a poncho I can borrow?

Why don't you just go out and buy yourself a breeder buggie and paint a racing stripe on it like Sean did.

Having put my daugther into the back of my SVX and XT6 for years, it can be done and really isn't that hard provided you don't buy the piggiest seat with all the frills your kid won't care about anyways. Just get a simple safe seat and mount and you'll be fine, provided your girlfriend isn't over 5'8". One advatage I found with the XT6 and SVX was that I could reach back and get things for the little one when needed, something I couldn't do in the Legacy.

As for the Impreza, why would an Impreza be more expensive. They've been making Imprezas for 18 years now. I bought my last one, a 98 Outback Sport for under $2k.

Good luck and congrats!
Old 12-05-2010, 07:19 AM
Happy SVX
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by benebob View Post
Why don't you just go out and buy yourself a breeder buggie and paint a racing stripe on it like Sean did.
My wife wants me to buy her a bigger breeder buggy now, a Honda Odyssey. I keep trying to talk her out of it but it's not happening.

By the way I think the SVX is a bit bigger in the back than my Ford was, it may be a little easier
1992 SVX LSL 5-Speed Sold at 180K 2019
1995 SVX Lsi Polo Sold at 118K 2007
Old 12-05-2010, 08:10 AM

Registered SVX

Just keep the svx and buy an impreza. I would never sell anything that i didnt want to sell. Like was already said, you could pick up an outback for 2 grand probably. It wont be new but so what.
Old 12-05-2010, 09:06 AM
There's a storm coming.

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean486 View Post
My wife wants me to buy her a bigger breeder buggy now, a Forester/Outback/Tribeca. I keep trying to saying what a great idea She has!

By the way I think the SVX is a bit bigger in the back than my Ford was, it may be a little easier
Fixed it!
the first equal length headers,
the first phenolic spacers,
the first Class Glass fiberglass hood,
the first with 4, 4.44s in his driveway

Fiberglass Hood thread
My locker
4.44 Swap link
Old 12-05-2010, 09:43 AM

Registered SVX

The seat I got for my son has a level on it for the correct safety angle. It doesn't line up right when installed, but does fit with adiquate room for the passenger. I do not use a base in my car so I do not know if that would fix the angle. I believe the use of towels would let one achieve a correct angle. I would not go on a drive of any significant length without a fix.
92 LSL Pearl 205k+ mi. 4.44 Trans (no 1st or reverse) | VR3 deck, Shark class-D amp, 6.5" bass tube, JVC front, Lanzar rear | SPD trunk struts. Gotta get ones for hood, the random auto store ones don't cut it. Vice grips work tho | DDM HID's 55W shining nice and white.
Old 12-05-2010, 10:46 AM
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to Stevebsy Send a message via Yahoo to Stevebsy

I only had my SVX when my first kid was using those kind of seat. I recall I had to put towels in the back seat to get the base leveled out right, and use the seat belt clip to clamp it in securely.

Someone can sit in the front seat, even with the whole contraption in the back seat, but the front seat does have to be forward somewhat.

I found it easier to put the kid on the passenger's side back seat.

Remember they do not use these kinds of seats forever, so if you can deal with it for a little while, you'll get through.

Custom Oil Caps, Battery Bars, Phenolic Spacers for sale here:
http://www.x35design.com
Old 12-05-2010, 11:38 AM
There's a storm coming.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevebsy View Post
Remember they do not use these kinds of seats forever, so if you can deal with it for a little while, you'll get through.
Stupid Maryland law;

"Maryland has joined the list of states with the most stringent child booster seat laws in the nation. Effective June 30, 2008, children in Maryland must ride in an approved child booster seat until they reach the age
of 8 years old, attain a height of 4'9", or surpass 65 pounds in weight."

"Stupid law;
Car Seat Laws
* Rear facing seats should never be used in the front seat if the vehicle contains an active passenger-side airbag. Although not mandated, the safest place for your child of any age is in the back seat of the vehicle.

** Independent of regulations, children between the ages of 4 and 8, or weighing under 80 lbs, should sit in a booster seat."

Tom says by 8 years old they should be able to "take out" an 80# German Shepherd with their bare hands!

Fiberglass Hood thread
My locker
4.44 Swap link
Old 12-05-2010, 12:24 PM

Send a message via AIM to Green1995SVX Send a message via Yahoo to Green1995SVX
Registered SVX Classic SVX

2001 Audi S8
Old 12-05-2010, 02:12 PM
There's a storm coming.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green1995SVX View Post
Tom says that Mike is a funny, funny guy!

Fiberglass Hood thread
My locker
4.44 Swap link
Old 12-05-2010, 02:54 PM
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to Stevebsy Send a message via Yahoo to Stevebsy

Quote:
Originally Posted by svxfiles View Post
Stupid Maryland law;

"Maryland has joined the list of states with the most stringent child booster seat laws in the nation. Effective June 30, 2008, children in Maryland must ride in an approved child booster seat until they reach the age
of 8 years old, attain a height of 4'9", or surpass 65 pounds in weight."

"Stupid law;
Car Seat Laws
* Rear facing seats should never be used in the front seat if the vehicle contains an active passenger-side airbag. Although not mandated, the safest place for your child of any age is in the back seat of the vehicle.

** Independent of regulations, children between the ages of 4 and 8, or weighing under 80 lbs, should sit in a booster seat."

Tom says by 8 years old they should be able to "take out" an 80# German Shepherd with their bare hands!
That may be true, but those seats are easy to work with, and the kid can get in/out by themselves. I'm talking about the carrier for infants that clicks into the base rear facing, those take up all the room.

The booster seats are forward facing so they don't mess up the front seating situation any, if at all.

In fact I took my family of 4, an EJ25 engine in the trunk, and our luggage in the SVX for a 9 hour trip once. Put the luggage on the roof in a padded bag. One kid in a booster and the other just in the seat. It was not ideal, but it worked, just like Clark Grizwold

Custom Oil Caps, Battery Bars, Phenolic Spacers for sale here:
http://www.x35design.com
Old 12-05-2010, 03:13 PM
There's a storm coming.

Re: Big Decison

When my guys were little they actually LIKED being in a booster seat because they (Dave) could see out the rear windows of the (Pearl White) XT6 better.
What was REALLY a PITA was holding Dave's hand while driving the Gun Metal Gray GL10 Turbo 5 speed.
Since I worked out of town, and only saw them every other day for 4 years and 9 months He wanted to hold my hand while I drove...

Kids, the best thing ever!

Fiberglass Hood thread
My locker
4.44 Swap link
Old 12-05-2010, 05:41 PM

Re: Big Decison

Thanks guys the most if the problem is not having enough room its more of my svx keeps breaking down and it keep needing more and more money to fix it... and I want a WRX or an STI so that's why its so expensive and I want a 2000 to 2007