Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Do you think the SVX takes after the Impreza or the Legacy
Impreza 0 0%
Legacy 20 100.00%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-09-2010, 07:53 AM

Registered SVX
more like a legacy or impreza?

what do you think the svx takes after more?
Old 06-09-2010, 08:35 AM

Send a message via AIM to StatGSR
Re: more like a legacy or impreza?

well since the svx came before the impreza its kinda hard for it to take after it isnt it?
Old 06-09-2010, 09:07 AM
I have a problem. :(

Send a message via AIM to shelfy Send a message via Yahoo to shelfy
Registered SVX

worst poll ever?

1997 Subaru SVX LSi "Svetlana" #185 of 640 - 09/1996 - Polo Green Pearl - 34k miles

1992 Subaru SVX LS-L "Everett" #8738 - 01/1992 - Ebony Pearl - 139k miles - 5MT shifty - Sold 07/31/2011

1992 Subaru SVX LS-L "Sven" #1599 - 05/1991 - Claret - 168k miles - Traded 05/11/2005

2023 Subaru Crosstrek Limited CVT - Crystal White Pearl - 2.8k miles
2021 Subaru Forester 2.5i Limited CVT - Horizon Blue Pearl - 17k miles
2023 Volkswagen Jetta S 6MT - Pure White - 2.6k miles
2020 Hyundai Ioniq Limited EV - Ceramic White - 30k miles
Old 06-09-2010, 09:20 AM

Registered SVX

hehe.. If you look at the rear lamps then you see it have some kind of the same look as the svx. But i will say the Svx looks like a svx. And is the ''big sister'' to the Xt verson will i say.

My subarus:
1992 Svx LSI 5-MT(3.54)
1998 Legacy BG 2.5L GX
Old 06-09-2010, 09:34 AM

Send a message via AIM to Green1995SVX Send a message via Yahoo to Green1995SVX
Registered SVX Classic SVX

Is this poll really happening? Neither.

(I voted for Legacy because there was no "WTF??" option.)

mike
2001 Audi S8
Old 06-09-2010, 09:48 AM
15th time is a charm?

Registered SVX

No.

Old 06-09-2010, 10:14 AM
Still Cant' Say the Z-Word

Send a message via AIM to LetItSnow
Registered SVX

The 360, in so many ways I fear counting them.
Old 06-09-2010, 10:18 AM
I have a problem. :(

Send a message via AIM to shelfy Send a message via Yahoo to shelfy
Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by LetItSnow View Post
The 360, in so many ways I fear counting them.
one should not be afraid of the numbers.

1997 Subaru SVX LSi "Svetlana" #185 of 640 - 09/1996 - Polo Green Pearl - 34k miles

1992 Subaru SVX LS-L "Everett" #8738 - 01/1992 - Ebony Pearl - 139k miles - 5MT shifty - Sold 07/31/2011

1992 Subaru SVX LS-L "Sven" #1599 - 05/1991 - Claret - 168k miles - Traded 05/11/2005

2023 Subaru Crosstrek Limited CVT - Crystal White Pearl - 2.8k miles
2021 Subaru Forester 2.5i Limited CVT - Horizon Blue Pearl - 17k miles
2023 Volkswagen Jetta S 6MT - Pure White - 2.6k miles
2020 Hyundai Ioniq Limited EV - Ceramic White - 30k miles
Old 06-09-2010, 11:08 AM

I test drove a then-late model Impreza when I was looking for something to replace my world-weary '90 Legacy, and was amazed by how thoroughly inferior the Impreza felt. That tired old Legacy was a better car in every respect.

For way, way less money than that guy was asking for his Impreza, I bought an SVX. Now I'm spoiled for sure.

There's little to compare.

dcb
Old 06-09-2010, 11:11 AM

Send a message via AIM to Green1995SVX Send a message via Yahoo to Green1995SVX
Registered SVX Classic SVX

The 90-94 legacy is basically the best car subaru ever made.
2001 Audi S8
Old 06-09-2010, 11:55 AM

Its most like a 300zx 2+2

Its definitely not much like a legacy or impreza.
Old 06-09-2010, 12:49 PM

There were a few styling and familial similarities to the 1990-94 Legacy, but they aren't the same car, and the Legacy never had the H6 engine. (although one could surmise that maybe it should have taken on a role of SVX-sedan for it's second generation. The Second Generation Legacy was a fine car, though, too.)

The SVX was on the opposite end of the Subaru model spectrum than the Impreza, though... very little commonality, other than company-mandatory traits, like boxer engines and AWD capability.

I can only imagine if the mid-90s had unfolded slightly differently, from Subaru...

The SVX and a larger 2nd Gen Legacy join forces as a coupe/sedan/wagon, and then Outback wagon Cadre, to share the suspension and drivetrain... lowering the costs.

What we know as the 2nd Gen Legacy 95-99, a good design, could have split, and gone bigger for what I just described... an SVX-like sedan, and gotten scaled down slightly, and could have been a better looking body on the GC Impreza chassis, as a sedan, and compact coupe, and the little 5-door hatchback/OB Sport.

GC Imprezas were nice little cars, but the forward-slope roof was odd. The 95-99 Legacy was much better looking, and just barely bigger in sedan format. (wagon format was bigger than the Impreza 5-door.)

If the 95-99 Legacy had kept some of it's styling, gained a bit of SVX's styling, and been about the size of an SVX extended to 4-doors, but shared the EG33 engine, and the premium interior... it could have helped share the costs that SVX bore exclusively without a platform-mate.

I think that could have been even better for the Legacy, and Legacy would have benefitted from the optional H6, and had a smoother transition to the EZ-series H6 that the Outback received for the 2000-2004 third generation.

If the Legacy had some SVX traits, maybe it wouldn't have been a complete wallflower (aside from maybe the JDM S401), for that generation, and could have carried some appeal through to the 4th Gen Legacy, which I have, and enjoy. A more exciting 3rd Gen Legacy could possibly have carried a revised SVX coupe pairing along with it.

The 5th Gen Legacy (current) is too big. Too big for it to be appealing on it's own, and far too big for an SVX pairing. The current GR Impreza is nearly the same size as the previous 4th Gen Legacy, and shares some of the chassis configuration. NOW, it would make more sense for Subaru to build an SVX successor Grand Touring and Sport Coupe from the Impreza's current chassis, with 2009-Legacy level of features and options, and some of WRX STI's suspension and driveline hardware.

Mercedes Benz just built a coupe, which they are calling the E-class coupe, but it is actually built on the C-class chassis, with E-class styling and features.

Subaru could do that today, build a sporty GT AWD Coupe, size based on the Impreza, but features-wise based on the Legacy. (especially the 2008-2009 Legacy, because 2010 Legacy lost features comparatively)

With the new Naturally aspirated DOHC boxer 4 that they just introduced this year at the Geneva show, the tried and true EJ-series turbo H4s, possibly both at 268HP, and 305HP (STI), and a nicely tuned up EZ36 revision with AVLS back in the mix, making 300-320 horsepower without turbos...

That would put SVX-II (2012 20th Anniversary release date?) with an H6, DCCD 6MT gearbox, Bilsteins, Brembos, and the whole works... right into the thick of the mix.

Genesis 3.8 Track. Similar weight and power, no AWD.
Infiniti G37x or G37S (AWD and 6MT don't mix there... SVX would have it.)
Mustang 3.7 V6 with sport package, Brembos... Similar weight and power, but bulkier, and no AWD.
Audi A5 2.0T Quattro would be less powerful, 3.2 Quattro has no 6MT, and is more expensive. S5 is much more expensive. A5 is also not a particularly light chassis.
Camaro V6 is heavier, and not AWD.
Challenger V6 is much heavier, and not AWD.

And other than the Genesis Coupe's 2.0T, and the Audi A5 2.0T, the 2.5T Subaru turbo boxer is more powerful, and less expensive than the Audi. Until GenCoupe gets Sonata's 274hp turbo engine, instead, likely also in 2012.

None of the cars would have a naturally aspirated H4 base engine for the "economy" model, as most of those brands default to their smaller compact FWD coupes for NA 4-cylinder economy, and not a whole lot of those offer AWD.

For the Subaru, I would actually name them differently per their engine option.
2.0 RS for the base NA engine and 5EAT or down-spec 6MT gearbox
2.5 GT for the turbo H4 (268hp like Legacy GT/WRX) and 5EAT-sport shift or down-spec 6MT gearbox
2.5 STI for the turbo H4 (305hp like WRX STI) with brembos and inverted Bilsteins, etc... robust-updated 6EAT-sport shift, or Dual-clutch geabox for automatic, or 6MT STI-grade gearbox with DCCD and SI-Drive.

The SVX name would be applied to the H6 model only.
3.6 liter AVCS/AVLS boxer 6-cylinder engine, preferably 310+ naturally aspirated horsepower. Probably ~275 or so ft.lbs. of torque. (probably less than turbo H4 STI engine...) tuned to run on 87 octane with up to 15% ethanol content normally, but perhaps a 3-5hp boost if the ECU senses 91+ octane premium fuel, if one would choose to feed it the good stuff.

Same as the 2.5 STI model in most other respects.
Automatic gearbox option would either be a robust-updated 6EAT-sport-shift with steering wheel paddles, or a real 7-speed dual-clutch, like Audi's DCT, or Porsche's PDK. With VTD or DCCD center differential, and at least a rear limited slip, with brake-actuated torque vectoring... maybe a front limited slip differential as well, like WRX STI.
Manual gearbox option would be a revised-gearset version of the the STI 6MT, with DCCD center differential, and the other AWD features, as well. With adjusted gear ranges and/or final drive ratio, to better suit the non-turbo characteristics of the H6 engine, and it's low RPM cruising capability.

SI-Drive chassis and drivetrain dynamics selector, possibly in conjunction with adjustable bilstein dampers (perhaps even Magne-ride ferro-fluid variable dampers), as well.

Specifically chosen damping profiles and spring rates to suit smooth ride (touring), with competent body-roll, pitch (weight transfer), and yaw (turn-in and minimal under-steer) characteristics, for sporty driving. Leave the track-ready suspension calibration to the 2.5 STI model, and WRX STI.

I want a new SVX to ride as smoothly as the original, while giving up very little in terms of handling performance.

Plus, I would want the car to have a nice SVX-like wrapped-around interior, with premium materials on the SVX model, or "Limited" versions of the 4-cylinder models. SVX H6 trim would only be default with premium trim.

And if Subaru has any stylists left who can design a car, it should be long, low, and sleek, with simple fender details, like an up-to-date 21st century SVX.

No short, stubby, and tall boxes, like Impreza or just plain tall and bulky like Legacy. No tacked on fender flares stamped into the panel toolings, like both Legacy and now WRX and STI all have.

If they build this car. I will trade both subarus that I have for it... because it will be the combination of what I love about both the SVX and the 4th Gen Legacy.

If they continue to refuse to build anything like it... I will have to stick to 20 year old SVXs, out-of date Legacys now as well... or used Porsches. Nothing else in Subaru's lineup appeals to me, except maybe a Newport Blue Forester, if I ever feel the need to own a SUV... But that vehicle deserves an H6 with a gearbox upgrade, as well, and it will sit outside, while a pristine SVX, or a Porsche parks inside the garage, first.

------------

1992 Claret SVX. Rescued from certain destruction, and still on the road, where it belongs. Waiting for a bit of a makeover, when I can afford it.
2005 Garnet Red Pearl Legacy GT Limited 5-speed. - The late great Subaru sport touring sedan.
1999 Classic Red Miata, Preferred equipment package 5-speed. Fun, fun, fun, in the Sun, sun, sun.
Old 06-09-2010, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XT6Wagon View Post

I so badly wish that I could put an EG33 into a Z32 300ZX 2+2...

The normally aspirated VG30DE is less powerful, and crammed under the low hoodline. The VG30DETT twin turbo is more powerful, but crammed even tighter with more heat, and more complexity that is even harder to work with.

A nice tuned up EG33 from tom or LA-Name approaching 300 naturally aspirated horsepower, nicely tucked under that low, sleek hood, even just RWD, with the Nissan's 5MT gearbox... would be phenomenal.

I love the Z32 bodystyle, with the hatchback and the t-roof, and the interior is on-par or better than the SVX's... (although I wish the Z32 door cards had SVX top-side interior door latch pulls... rather than the kind of bargain-bin pulls that the Nissan has)

If I could have two resto-mod 90s era cars, one would be a Z32, the other would be an SVX, both similarly prepared, the z32 being the open-top summer car, the SVX being the AWD all-season car... (although I'd probably still have a winter beater just to save the SVX's quality from the worst of the winter weather exposure.

------------

1992 Claret SVX. Rescued from certain destruction, and still on the road, where it belongs. Waiting for a bit of a makeover, when I can afford it.
2005 Garnet Red Pearl Legacy GT Limited 5-speed. - The late great Subaru sport touring sedan.
1999 Classic Red Miata, Preferred equipment package 5-speed. Fun, fun, fun, in the Sun, sun, sun.
Old 06-09-2010, 01:01 PM
some sort of nerd. some sort.
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by XT6Wagon View Post

+1. It's sort of a cross between the 300zx and the 90-94 legacy, only nicer than both.
'94 Laguna Blue LSi ~159k.......JDM ultra short-geared 3.900 STi Version 7 6-speed w/ Cobb shortshifter, ECUtune 244,8.1mm/256,9.1mm i/e cams, group N motor mounts, '97 grille, JDM clear corners, Momo JDM Legacy GT steering wheel, apkarian's LED tails, silver STi BBS wheels, PWR radiator, redstuff pads f/r, drilled/slotted rotors, bontragerworks rsb #18, Koni/GC 450f/375r coilovers, Megan Racing adjustable lateral links, KMac c/c plates, Stebro exhaust, ECUtune 1v5, Optima battery in the trunk where it belongs. Turbo project

'97 Ebony LSi ~137k #036.......Power mode mod, JDM clear corners, BBS wheels. AUX/pocket mod

Now a mod "over there" ............Photo album
Old 06-09-2010, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxerFanatic View Post
I so badly wish that I could put an EG33 into a Z32 300ZX 2+2...
Wonder how hard it would be to cut and paste on the SVX frame rails from the firewall forward, then wrap in the Z32 bodywork. Would leave you stuck with the Subaru style front suspension, but I think that would be the easiest way to do it. Certainly easier than some of the body conversions like the WRX with a civic body stuck on top.