How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 04-16-2010, 08:33 PM
Its a Classic!

Mechanic trying to scam me? what to do?

well some of you may have seen my previous thread. I brought my car to my mechanic over 3 weeks ago to try to diagnose a mystery no start issue. I had a good battery, starter was turning over, no CEL and no firing...I verified fuel pressure before and after the fuel filter. He tried to pull codes and couldnt and finally recommended I get an ignition module. Before I bought an ignition module I wanted him to pull a plug and make sure there was indeed no spark...took 3 days to do it and only did it when I showed up unannounced at the shop. He discovered a broken ground wire from firewall to dogbone and refused to connect it and try to start it so I did it myself. Well guess what it didnt start but I WAS able to pull codes. I pulled a crank position sensor code. From day one he has been trying to get me to replace my timing belt....which I did myself 40k ago. Then when I asked him to test the sensors to figure out which crank sensor went he told me it was probably the one behind the timing belt because of the heat so i might as well replace the timing belt WTF they are literally and inch apart and neither require pulling the timing belt.

I am really starting to feel uncomfortable and want to get my car back and pay for my 3 week diagnosis where he didnt do anymore than attempt to pull engine codes, remove right and left timing cover and remove intake from MAF to the TB.

He is a verbal contract pay in cash shadetree mechanic type and im worried he might try to make me pay for more expensive service or try to charge me a ridiculous fee like 1000 for the (failed) diagnosis and storage. Im feeling very vulnerable and want my car back what would you do in my position.
STi BBS wheels,legacy gt 4.44, 3" catback exhaust, Stance GR+ 7k/5k, QS Teflon adjustable endlinks, Hankook EVO 245/40/17, 95-LS escaine seats, GC8 V7 steering wheel, JDM clear corners, small car clear lenses, Alcyone badge, JDM rear taillight, 97 grille, stevesby bumper, PWR radiator, Perrin Crank pulley, Urethane Swaybar bushings, urethane diff bushings, DDM 6k 55watt lows and 4500k 35watt fog lights; $15/15min mod, Motorsport whs 22mm rear swaybar, QC shift kit, ToMyx intake, z32 aluminum calipers 13" rotors, nitrous express proton + wet kit.
Old 04-16-2010, 08:33 PM
Its a Classic!

Re: Mechanic trying to scam me? what to do?

oh and by the way im in search of both used crank sensors lol
STi BBS wheels,legacy gt 4.44, 3" catback exhaust, Stance GR+ 7k/5k, QS Teflon adjustable endlinks, Hankook EVO 245/40/17, 95-LS escaine seats, GC8 V7 steering wheel, JDM clear corners, small car clear lenses, Alcyone badge, JDM rear taillight, 97 grille, stevesby bumper, PWR radiator, Perrin Crank pulley, Urethane Swaybar bushings, urethane diff bushings, DDM 6k 55watt lows and 4500k 35watt fog lights; $15/15min mod, Motorsport whs 22mm rear swaybar, QC shift kit, ToMyx intake, z32 aluminum calipers 13" rotors, nitrous express proton + wet kit.
Old 04-16-2010, 11:03 PM

You should be feeling uncomfortable.

The chances of you finding a mechanic that knows anything is almost nil and if you did, they probably have also graduated from the stealing 101 class.

Sorry...

Keith
Old 04-17-2010, 01:33 AM
Phil & Belha

Make him write a fully itemised breakdown of everything he did and how much it cost. Then make him justify every item.

Take a big mean looking friend when you go to pay. Even better if he's on the way to baseball practice and carrying his bat.
1994 Alcyone SVX S40-II
2004 Subaru Legacy 2.5 SE Sports Tourer
1996 Subaru Legacy 2.2 GX Wagon
1988 Subaru Justy J12 SL-II
Old 04-17-2010, 04:52 AM
51 Club

Registered SVX

There's also the Better Business Bureau and the treat of litigation. Shady business people don't like lawyers.
Old 04-17-2010, 03:09 PM

lots of cranking and no starting will throw a crank cam sensor code too.
Old 04-17-2010, 09:20 PM
Avalanche Alcyoneer
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

Most shops charge an hour labor for diag, which should be between 70-90 bucks. If the contract is verbal and you didnt sign any papers saying he has unlimited authorization to do what he wishes..... then you dont have to pay him JACK past $50 or whatever the state law says.

Go get your car and call the cops if he refuses to release it.

This is coming from a shop manager/mechanic....

"A person convinced against their will, is of the same opinion still"

New?? Find the downloadable SVX Online Service Manual Here
RECOMMENDED READING for newer SVX owners Here some cool info if not fully accurate.