How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 09-24-2008, 03:35 PM

Send a message via AIM to Wolfy
Better Gas mileage! :)

i didnt consider this to be a technical subject since its more of an experiment than an actual mod but if im wrong please forgive me. heres a fun idea to help with gas mileage, its nothing permament but it may help if you hate getting 17 mpg :P

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHAUsGlfbx8 check it!!!
Old 09-24-2008, 03:38 PM

Re: Better Gas mileage! :)

the acetone trick really works! i put 4 oz in when i filled my tank and gained about 9 or 10 miles per gallon. but im not sure of long term effects in my fuel system so i havent tried again. anyone else thinking of trying?
Old 09-24-2008, 08:59 PM

Hope you don't have any plastic fittings in the fuel lines.... and hopefully the line itself can handle it.... Part of the reason cars need to be specifically built to handle E85 is because in a typical vehicle, over time, the fuel lines and other components of the system will be eaten by the ethanol..... Be VERY careful to keep even the smallest drop off your body panels too....

From the sounds of it, this is diluting it quite a bit (just like E10 fuel) so hopefully it won't
Old 09-24-2008, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iizbeastie View Post
Hope you don't have any plastic fittings in the fuel lines.... and hopefully the line itself can handle it.... Part of the reason cars need to be specifically built to handle E85 is because in a typical vehicle, over time, the fuel lines and other components of the system will be eaten by the ethanol..... Be VERY careful to keep even the smallest drop off your body panels too....

From the sounds of it, this is diluting it quite a bit (just like E10 fuel) so hopefully it won't
well thats mainly a reason why i stopped puttin it in because my friend said acetone eats soft rubber and kills paint. but im only using enough to help vaporize the gas particles, not purging it into my car like no2 lol
Old 09-25-2008, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfy View Post
well thats mainly a reason why i stopped puttin it in because my friend said acetone eats soft rubber and kills paint. but im only using enough to help vaporize the gas particles, not purging it into my car like no2 lol
It eats paint?? OOH, that must be why it's the main ingredient in paint thinner!!....

And actually it wouldn't stop there.... it eats fiberglass too!!

Last edited by iizbeastie; 09-25-2008 at 03:32 PM. Reason: I cannt spell
Old 09-25-2008, 06:02 PM
Avalanche Alcyoneer
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

I got almost 30 MPG on the highway..... dunno why.

"A person convinced against their will, is of the same opinion still"

New?? Find the downloadable SVX Online Service Manual Here
RECOMMENDED READING for newer SVX owners Here some cool info if not fully accurate.
Old 09-25-2008, 07:10 PM
svxless

Registered SVX

ive come to accept the fact that im not going to get great gas mileage in my svx
and thats it

1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 126k "BXR6" Sold 3/23/13
1992 LS-L Claret 178k totaled 10/26/09

1987 BMW 325is

60% of the time it works, every time
Old 09-26-2008, 06:17 AM
Bad decisions effect everybody

Send a message via AIM to JaySVX Send a message via Yahoo to JaySVX

My SVX gets around 22-24mpg normally, I've gotten as high as 28mpg cruising on the highway, though I did have the AC going. The acetone idea seems neat, would really rock on my expedition, I could afford to daily drive it! However, I will wait to hear more from more experienced car guys before doing that one. If it works, wish I'd had known it for my 3200 mile trip to dallas in august!
2004 Ford Excursion Eddie Bauer, 6.0litre Power Stroke Diesel - Daily Driver.

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, scotch in one hand, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA !!!!!
Old 09-26-2008, 10:50 AM

There's no way adding 4 ounces of anything to your fuel could gain you 9 or 10 miles per gallon. Sorry, but you're mistaken.

Do not put acetone into your gas tank. Or toulene. Or Amazing Kickass SuperDuper Power-Extender Fuel Additive. They're all bogus. Urban legend. A myth. A waste of money.

For as long as there have been cars, there have been folks trying to find or concoct some sort of fuel additive (or simple bolt-on gadget) to magically improve fuel efficiency and power. THERE IS NOTHING YOU CAN ADD TO GASOLINE TO APPRECIABLY IMPROVE FUEL ECONOMY. Period. Really.

dcb
Old 09-26-2008, 10:59 AM
What do you mean wrong SVX?

That video is hilarious. I love how he opens the excel spreadsheet and types numbers in to make it look like official results. Also, classic lines like "I did some research on the internet," and "Something gas companies don't want you to know," make it a winner in my book.
Old 09-26-2008, 11:27 AM
15th time is a charm?

Registered SVX

I got 31.5 MPG on my way back from OTs house last meet when I was driving my Claret.

I don't abide additives and myths. I just use 93 Octane every time in my car and I don't race the engine uneccessarily.
Old 09-26-2008, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcarrb View Post
There's no way adding 4 ounces of anything to your fuel could gain you 9 or 10 miles per gallon. Sorry, but you're mistaken.

Do not put acetone into your gas tank. Or toulene. Or Amazing Kickass SuperDuper Power-Extender Fuel Additive. They're all bogus. Urban legend. A myth. A waste of money.

For as long as there have been cars, there have been folks trying to find or concoct some sort of fuel additive (or simple bolt-on gadget) to magically improve fuel efficiency and power. THERE IS NOTHING YOU CAN ADD TO GASOLINE TO APPRECIABLY IMPROVE FUEL ECONOMY. Period. Really.

dcb
i know theres a lot of bull out there but these are one of the few guys who actually know what hes doing. he has a lot of things on youtube and other sites contain real facts about simple things that can make your life just a little bit easier or a little funner the only reason you only add 4 ounces is because its highly concetrated. anymore and you might do major damage to your car. i said ive tried it and it did help. not in a ridiclious amount but just enough to ease your mind, and to me thats worth it...
Old 09-26-2008, 10:48 PM

Ok, seriously? "what Big oil companies don't want you to know"? The big oil companies are getting grants and breaks on researching these things. Why don't they want you to know?.... its actually don't want you to try. I have worked with these companies in addition to being an automotive designer by trade and the reason they "don't want you to know" is because they have tried it and have good reason for not wanting you to do it. In this case, because they know it does damage to your vehicle and could do more if you are careless and spill it. There has to be some compromise between good gas mileage and engine life. Remember the movie Blade II? Whistler comments on how he jacked up the horsepower but he'll burn the thing out before the next oil change..... he wasn't kidding!!! Notice how so many cars that live soooo long are STOCK because they are designed to last for a period of time when you treat them the way you are supposed to..... Between my SVX and my Jetta I have people telling me constantly "oh, you don't need 91 or better, it will run just as good on regular..... and you know why I don't listen? Because I KNOW it increases the chances of my car making it many more years if I do what the car tells me, so I stick to 91 (if I can't make it to a station with 93) and I avoid Ethanol like it's deadly. I try every day not to laugh at all the 16 year olds bringing home moms station wagon and gassing up with E85 at the renew station in a car that isn't built to take it, because the poor thing won't make it to 120K..... I just hope I don't turn out to be the poor sap who bought a used car after being treated that way.....