SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 08-25-2008, 04:12 AM
One teal and One yellow

Re: The first accident on my Teal SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by plantchick View Post
Wish I could. I'm with ensteele in thinking the ditch should have stopped her (and the incompetence part). Have you been able to get any info from her on what happened? I could only think of three possibilities; panicking and hitting the accelerator instead of brakes, brakes failing, or getting her foot jammed in the pedals. More than one impact point just seems weird.

Hope dealings with the insurers are going ok. I read the stories of you guys dealing with insurers and count myself lucky we have an option for 'agreed value' insurance here.

Tania.
She lives next two blocks to my building.

When I went to look for her on the Saturday, her husband opened
the door. My first respond to them was: how would that happen?
There's also a ditch to stop or slow down your car down the hill!!!
Their answers were lame, her husband explained to me, she parked
the car reserve and then just went down the upper parking lot and
hit my car. (((how???))) They remained silent and didn't explain if
there's any mechanical wrong on their car. I guess not!!
They asked if my car is driveable and why is it there and it's so
coincident she'd hit my car?? I responded to them my car is very
driveable I parked it there because I don't drive it very often. I have
other vehicles to drive. I told them do you know that I'm probably
lost my car like this because of your hit! They didn't give me very
solid answer and expressed it's their fault. I got the insurance
information and phone numbers and left.

Thanks. Wish me luck on the insurance part.

92 LS-L TEAL since Aug '01
92 LS-L YELLOW since Mar '05
Old 08-25-2008, 06:02 AM
Bad decisions effect everybody

Send a message via AIM to JaySVX Send a message via Yahoo to JaySVX

Be careful with what you say, the most innocent of statements can be turned against you. If you'd have replied that your car wasnt' drivable, there'd have been no fault. Seriously that sucks, but I'd called it a total loss. The rear panel is a nightmare to fix/replace, due to the uni-body construction. The door and front quarter panel can be replaced without tou much hassle for about $2000, but that rear you are looking at another $2000+ for, not to mention tires, rims, etc, to be replaced. Body work and paint I'd guess around $5000 for a total fix. I've been in my share of accidents, and had quite a few adjusters out. Stuff gets very expensive very quickly.

I had a 1994 Saturan SL1 quite a few years back. On the way home from the dealership, a guy ran a red and hit my front driver-side quarter panel, which put me into a parking lot, where I hit a RAV4. Front bumper, front quarter panel, front bumper cover, $4000 to fix. I hit a patch of black ice once, and slid into the rear bumper of a Nissan Maxima, at about 4mph. New bumper cover, $1200-1500. A guy backed out of his driveway into the bumper of my Ford Probe. New bumper cover, $900. These are just plastic parts, that just needed repainted, and they were that much. You're talking new skins, and major parts. I'd prepare for the worst...
2004 Ford Excursion Eddie Bauer, 6.0litre Power Stroke Diesel - Daily Driver.

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, scotch in one hand, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA !!!!!
Old 08-25-2008, 07:32 AM
Mechanical 'L' plater ahead

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSSVX View Post
They remained silent and didn't explain if
there's any mechanical wrong on their car. I guess not!!
They asked if my car is driveable and why is it there and it's so
coincident she'd hit my car??
Hang on, the "coincidence" thing...
Of course - you parked your cars there 'cause you knew she'd screw up and reverse down a hill to hit one. Yeah right, that makes sense.

Would it make a difference to liability if there is/was a mechanical fault on their car? Sorry, I don't know US insurance laws.

Quote:
Thanks. Wish me luck on the insurance part.
Yup, still wishing you luck.

No plants = no life on earth - so go forth and plant green things!
Old 08-25-2008, 08:15 AM
Posting since Dec.'98
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

Maybe totaled for insurance purposes, maybe not. Ask your own insurance company to take care of your interests & go to bat for you.

Totally repairable damage so don't let it end up in the hands of a scrap yard.
Old 08-25-2008, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSSVX View Post
Thank you. Her insurance is State Auto hopefully they're good company and I hope to meet a nice adjuster.

The more I look at my teal SVX now, the more I feel hurt. Yes, she caused the whole side damage of my car. And it was in good shape.

My rear quarter panel was first hit pretty deep and she was still reversing and dragged thru my driver side door and hit my front fender really deep again with different angle until her car was not be able to move. (my analysis)

Please tell me how would this happen???

I took a picture from where she began to reverse back and hit my car.

Sorry about your car.

I have seen this before. I bet she threw it into revers in place of drive, at the point of the dip or ditch she then panicked flooring the gas some more in place of the break peddle. When she struck your car she probably still kept her foot on the gas for a while till she ended up on your front wheel and bumper. If you ask me she should not be driving regardless of her age. It clearly shows that she is incapable of handling a vehicle during a situation that would require positive human intervention.

I believe the repairs will cost more than you think or is worth while for any insurance company unless you had an evaluation done on your car and registered it with your insurance. Especially the rear quarter like already mentioned. See what they will want to settle for and then see if you can discount the price by a couple of hundred bucks by keeping the car as a spare parts car (if you have the space). Argue that you will want to buy another and do not think you will find one as nice thus will use those parts to swap. Also that it will cost them further to pick up the car and transport it to the scarp yard. You can also part it out afterwards and make some more money back aside from your settlement. Then get yourself another.

Keep us posted.

Regards

Max
Old 08-25-2008, 01:59 PM
Still 1.7K to go...
Subaru Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to SilverSpear Send a message via MSN to SilverSpear Send a message via Skype™ to SilverSpear
Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVX_MY_BABY View Post
Totally repairable damage so don't let it end up in the hands of a scrap yard.

I dunno about that statement... I am worried about the rear fender... it looks to me beyond repair unless he is willing to throw big bux for it...

1994 Silver SVX in hybernation, awaiting for the monsterous awakening (Lebanon)
1967 Mercedes-Benz 250SL Euro Specs, Hard/Softtop, White/Red. Under Complete Restoration
2013 Mercedes-Benz SL350 Euro Specs, White/Red. Mint... Another step into SL Collection.
Old 08-25-2008, 02:03 PM
My car's Italian, right?

Send a message via AIM to Tim

I hope you have the receipts for the transmission work you had done as well. Luckily the low mileage cars are still worth a good amount so that should help you leverage the fact that she damaged a car thats difficult to replace.

I just looked on Autotrader and I just saw a 96 with 132k miles going for 6500. In my area they're difficult to find, as the lowest mileage one I found was 98,000 and they're still asking 3500.
2012 Camry V6 SE

Last edited by Tim; 08-25-2008 at 02:06 PM.
Old 08-25-2008, 03:15 PM
Looks and smells great.

The idiot lady probably threw it into reverse instead of drive, and panic-mashed the gas when she started going backwards. It's the type of dumb mistake you expect from teenagers and the senile. Sorry your car was the unlucky one in the way.

It will almost certainly be a total. With the parts you have, I bet you could make some good money parting it out instead of letting the insurance company retain salvage; that's what I would recommend once you have a settlement. It's possible that they won't total it, but I wouldn't bet on it. Sorry.

As far as fault, your car was parked. End of story. As far as drivability, your car is not drivable due to the flat tire and the damaged mirror. Talk to their insurance company (I assume you don't have Collision coverage) about getting into a rental; they owe you for one in most states.

Best of luck, and keep us posted with the settlement/estimate figures. Remember, you can argue the total loss settlement if you can support a higher value!
1992 LSL Pearlie: 108k, 15min/$15 mod, Alternator wiring "upgrade," Power Mode switch, K&N drop-in, 4500k 35w low-beam HIDs, 3000k 35w fog HIDs, lots more planned (pending funds, of course)- 4.44 5spd being at the top of the list.
"We laugh at honour and are shocked to find traitors in our midst."
-C.S. Lewis
Old 08-27-2008, 10:22 AM
Mechanical 'L' plater ahead

So how is it all going?

No plants = no life on earth - so go forth and plant green things!
Old 08-27-2008, 02:54 PM
Collision Refinishing Tech

Registered SVX

Rear quarter panels are about $350 new last time I checked which isn't bad for this car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSpear View Post
I dunno about that statement... I am worried about the rear fender... it looks to me beyond repair unless he is willing to throw big bux for it...
Mods:AWD conversion/4.44 swap by Budfreak, Custom red interior lights, Custom Satin black dash, Power mode switch, Cold air intake, Permecool tranny filter,Sony xplode 10" sub, Sony xplode 1000w amp, Blitz in-line driver, DDM Tuning 6000k HID's, New paint job/body work by me, 97' Grill, QC shift kit, 17'' MB Motoring rims, 15&20 min mod, front & rear urethane swaybar bushings, Custom fiberglass sub box, Custom red led a/c control unit, perrin lightweight crank pulley, Black wrinkle finish powdercoated intake manifold w/ clear hoses , 02' outback heated/power black leather seats
Soon to come:Fiberglass hood, upholster ALL suede to black leather
Past subies:

92' Pearl White/black top LS-L-SOLD
96' Legacy Outback-TOTALED
99' Legacy Outback Limited 30th anniversary edition-TOTALED
98' Forester L -Totaled
Other toys:
99' Forester S -WRX brake upgrade, soon an 04 wrx motor swap
06' B9 Tribeca-Stock
1982' Yamaha xj650 Maxim
Mods:
work in progress
Old 08-28-2008, 05:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redlightningsvx View Post
Rear quarter panels are about $350 new last time I checked which isn't bad for this car.
But what's a body shop going to quote for labor? That's what matters.

dcb
Old 08-28-2008, 07:35 PM
Collision Refinishing Tech

Registered SVX

Well of the top of my head and seeing how you don't cut and splice into the c piller with our cars I would say 4-6 hours.
Mods:AWD conversion/4.44 swap by Budfreak, Custom red interior lights, Custom Satin black dash, Power mode switch, Cold air intake, Permecool tranny filter,Sony xplode 10" sub, Sony xplode 1000w amp, Blitz in-line driver, DDM Tuning 6000k HID's, New paint job/body work by me, 97' Grill, QC shift kit, 17'' MB Motoring rims, 15&20 min mod, front & rear urethane swaybar bushings, Custom fiberglass sub box, Custom red led a/c control unit, perrin lightweight crank pulley, Black wrinkle finish powdercoated intake manifold w/ clear hoses , 02' outback heated/power black leather seats
Soon to come:Fiberglass hood, upholster ALL suede to black leather
Past subies:

92' Pearl White/black top LS-L-SOLD
96' Legacy Outback-TOTALED
99' Legacy Outback Limited 30th anniversary edition-TOTALED
98' Forester L -Totaled
Other toys:
99' Forester S -WRX brake upgrade, soon an 04 wrx motor swap
06' B9 Tribeca-Stock
1982' Yamaha xj650 Maxim
Mods:
work in progress
Old 08-28-2008, 11:48 PM
Work, Sleep, SVX, Repeat

OMG! that's really all I can say man. I really know how you feel though.

When I purchased my SVX, the day I bought it, probably about 30mins after, I was putting gas in it(Portland area, I live in the tri-cities, about a 3 1/2 hr drive) a woman backed into my car doing about 25mph. Needless to say I was out of a car for a month at least, and I had to limp home. Being it was my first accident I was naive and didn't know much about this site. I paid about 3 grand to have a new drivers side door put in and to have a small crease in my front fender taken on. Plus I didn't get a rental.

As others have said, take everything you can get, adjusters are sneaky sons of *******, don't let em get away with really screwing your car up man. Best of luck and I hope it turns out favorably.
1991 Non-Turbo MR2 214,xxx, replaced engine at 190,xxx

Watch your thoughts, for they become words.
Watch your words, for they become actions.
Watch your actions, for they become habits.
Watch your habits, for they become character.
Watch your character, for it becomes your destiny...
Old 08-29-2008, 12:28 AM
My Other car is a GENIUS Car!
Subaru Bronze Contributor

Registered SVX

See, this is what sickens me about insurance companies and full coverage.

I had asked my insurance about doing an evaluation on my SVX and registering it with them but they said they don't do that but I could probably find some other agency that does. (what a way to say go elsewhere eh?). Also they said they go by KBB and nothing else. Apparently there's no other way for me to increase the value either, only accidental coverage for persons/liability (which is odd considering that goes upwards towards $50,000 in hospital bills anyways) but your not willing to take care of a few extra grand to recover/repair a decent car because of some idiot? Would not fly well with me... which is why I've asked in advance, in case something stupid like this were to happen. (Obviously I'm still trying to find what else I can do about increasing the value or putting a higher protection value on it, rather.)

Being that it is truly repairable (stating the frame isn't bent) and regardless of KBB value (which seems out of line, is a BS basis of opinion anyways, imo)... I'd get a lawyer and do whatever it takes to get them to fix it the way it was before the idiot who trashed your SVX.. taking nothing other then "We will fix it all" for an answer.

Really sorry to see you having to deal with such a mess and people who should clearly not be able to legally drive. Wish you well in clearing the issue up in hopes they will take care of it for you, especially as seeing the low mileage.. as mentioned before. On the bright side, you do have a really nice looking yellow one still, but I realize that doesn't change the fact your minus one at the moment.

Good luck with everything!
Old 08-30-2008, 04:25 AM
One teal and One yellow

Quote:
Originally Posted by plantchick View Post
So how is it all going?
Thanks for asking! : )

I talked to the adjuster. They sent a third party company inspector
came and looked at the damage of my car on Wednesday morning. The inspector said he'd pass the information to the adjuster and they'll let me know from there.

I talked to the adjuster again yesterday. He said it's "total loss" and he needs to get more paper works done and I also need to fax him the note from the police. After that he will give me some options. He told me the damage is about $4600. It exceeds the value of the car and it's total loss. : (

I don't know what kind of "okay" news or "bad" news or "worse" news he's going to tell me after few more business days.

92 LS-L TEAL since Aug '01
92 LS-L YELLOW since Mar '05