Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 08-04-2008, 10:23 PM

New member thinking of buying first SVX...

Hello everyone! Glad to be here. It appears you are all just as enthusiastic as I am with my 308 [currently being sold]. I work on most of my cars. To date I have owned a Triumph GT6, a 914 2.0, 2- 944's and a 951 [944 turbo]. This will be my first Japanese car since owning a Honda back in the eighties and a 06 Civic last year.

In any event I am looking at an SVX as a daily driver. A guy in my neighborhood has a "pearly" [as you all refer to it]. It's a 92 loaded w/touring package. 94K on the clock and pretty nice condition. Original paint is 9 out of 10, it has aftermarket aluminum wheels,has had some recent mechanical work i.e. rebuilt abs, rebuilt tranny, front cv joints, rear brakes and the interior is all original and most everything works [except the cruise].

I love the car after spending 120 miles driving it in most conditions like highway and local traffic...even a rain storm. It's a great cruiser. The only thing I have noticed is a very slight thump when it engages second and third at normal throttle. When I stomp on it it goes thru the gears just fine. I did a search in the mechanical forum and it could be either a bad mount or the left rear cv...I'm not certain. It has no rotational sound at all.

BTW...this forum has the same format as Ferrarichat.com.

So...I have him at 4K even...any input will be great!

Oh..here's a pic of the 308...just have to show off you know
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3407.JPG (501.3 KB, 233 views)

Last edited by svx2008; 08-04-2008 at 10:28 PM.
Old 08-05-2008, 12:30 AM
Still 1.7K to go...
Subaru Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to SilverSpear Send a message via MSN to SilverSpear Send a message via Skype™ to SilverSpear
Registered SVX
Re: New member thinking of buying first SVX...

We are all honored that you will be replacing the 308 with the SVX. That truely shows how valuable and appreciated our cars are.

I would recommend check that "thump" out BEFORE purchasing the car...

Good Luck and Welcome to the SVX World Network!!

1994 Silver SVX in hybernation, awaiting for the monsterous awakening (Lebanon)
1967 Mercedes-Benz 250SL Euro Specs, Hard/Softtop, White/Red. Under Complete Restoration
2013 Mercedes-Benz SL350 Euro Specs, White/Red. Mint... Another step into SL Collection.
Old 08-05-2008, 01:06 AM

That thump seems more like tranny failure. Reminds me of my Jeep Grand Cherokee.. when you went slow through the gears it would thump and rumble but if you gave it gas it would just cruise through it.

Originally I actually replaced the throttle controller unit and it helped but then it came back and the tranny just went so I junked it. So I'd definitely bring her into a tranny shop first. My shops around here offer free inspections and estimates, so not sure about your area but I'm assuming it shouldn't cost much.

ANYWAYS.
Have tons and tons of fun and barring the thump problem 4k seems to be very reasonable for an above good condition SVX with only 92k miles.
Old 08-05-2008, 01:08 AM

Oh, and you should see if that rebuilt tranny had its housing replaced. My 94 SVX had a rebuilt tranny.. 2 weeks later it crapped out and it turned out the housing and to be entirely replaced... they fixed it all for free and has worked fine since. =) Just things to bring up if you do bring it to a tranny shop.
Old 08-05-2008, 06:16 AM
Rebuilding

Registered SVX

You cant go wrong with an SVX They are great Daliy drivers (as long as they are not beaten into the ground). You probably know its not as fast as your other cars but nothing can beat its touring ability's. Would be a great and unique car to add to your collection. I think 4k for a 94 with 94k on the clock seems live a very good deal. FYI there were not many 94 pearlys so its makes it even more of a sweeter deal.

1994 SVX LS - 5spd AWD Emerald Green 202k miles PWR Radiator, HID 5000k, New paint job with issues, 17" STI BBS wheels, converted to 5spd AWD from FWD. Purchased from SVXyGirl 2/20/09 -- Undergoing complete rebuild
1993 Justy 4wd 5door- Teal of sorts , beater.
2008 OBXT Newport Pearl 65k miles
Old 08-05-2008, 08:40 AM
Awitha Cheese-ahhh!

Send a message via AIM to greggbzz

There are those much more knowledgeable then I, but I would not guess your "thump" means tranny failure.

I've been lurking a long time and have never read anything like that.
More likely it's a tranny mount. That seems logical.

Does it do it also when you downshift? How many miles on the rebuilt? How is the fluid? If they made any screw ups it probabbly would have manifested itself catastrophically by now. That seems to be the way it goes with rebuilds.

4K for a southern 92 in very good shape is a fair to good deal. You seem to be one that would take care of it also. The SVX is unique in many ways. I say buy it, I know you'll enjoy it.
Old 08-05-2008, 08:42 AM
Awitha Cheese-ahhh!

Send a message via AIM to greggbzz

200 posts w000T!!,
I'm catching up with my slashdot account
Old 08-05-2008, 10:39 AM

Registered SVX

I have something similar on my car. It happens only when upshifting from 1st to 2nd, and it's not a "thump", it is more like a car slightly pulls forward when it's engaging the 2nd. It also happens when accelerating slowly.

No clue to what it is, a dealership mechanic looked at it but did not suggest any repairs/replacements. So I think I'll keep using it "as it is" and if/when the tranny dies, I'll go for 4.44 or MT swap...
Old 08-05-2008, 11:55 AM
Work, Sleep, SVX, Repeat

308........so, ummm whats the 308 going for out of curiosity?
1991 Non-Turbo MR2 214,xxx, replaced engine at 190,xxx

Watch your thoughts, for they become words.
Watch your words, for they become actions.
Watch your actions, for they become habits.
Watch your habits, for they become character.
Watch your character, for it becomes your destiny...
Old 08-05-2008, 12:42 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm

Nice 308.

The harsh shifting could be just the mount (a common issue). Normally the clunk is more obvious when shifting into reverse.

There may also be a shift kit installed or the dropping resistor has been unplugged.

Does the power light come on (good) or flash (bad) when you start the car?

You also have the option of converting to a 5/6 speed manual which, in my biased opinion, completely transforms the car.
Old 08-05-2008, 12:48 PM

Was your 308 a daily car ?

If not and the SVX would be a daily car then Silverspear, "he is not replacing a Ferrari with an SVX".

My advice svx2008, is to get a 97. They are much more rare since only 600 or so were sent to the US.

Plus you are more likely to get very low miles.

My only other advice is to not drive it daily and sit on it to make it more rare.

I have a red 97 with 77K that I once considered selling however will not sell it now.
Old 08-05-2008, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeneathNorthernSkys View Post
308........so, ummm whats the 308 going for out of curiosity?
I sold it locally for 24K with another 8-10 K of work he is contracting me to have done, i.e paint, etc.
Old 08-05-2008, 04:31 PM

I am not sure I would call it harsh...more like a mild thump when engaging. It has that classic slack [for loss of a better word] when I lift at about 60 or so and it appears to downshift properly. I also noticed a little metalic sound like metal to metal from the left rear when making a turn or just starting out which makes me suspect it may be a simple mount issue.
Old 08-05-2008, 04:34 PM

[QUOTE=anthonybuchanan;559007]Was your 308 a daily car ?

If not and the SVX would be a daily car then Silverspear, "he is not replacing a Ferrari with an SVX".

Correct, it's not replacing anything. My wife and I are expanding our business and need the money. The SVX will be a second car for general running around and I need something to feed my desire for something exotic...my other option is another 944 but my wife hates the manual box

Some would argue a 308 can be a daily driver but I don't...it a pure sports car...not very practical at all. And you need deep pockets to boot.
Old 08-05-2008, 08:55 PM
Rebuilding

Registered SVX

[QUOTE=svx2008;559021]
Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonybuchanan View Post
Was your 308 a daily car ?

Correct, it's not replacing anything. My wife and I are expanding our business and need the money. The SVX will be a second car for general running around and I need something to feed my desire for something exotic...my other option is another 944 but my wife hates the manual box

Some would argue a 308 can be a daily driver but I don't...it a pure sports car...not very practical at all. And you need deep pockets to boot.
Is it possible to post some pictures of the Pearl? I think 4k for that low mileage is a good deal. The SVX is defiantly exotic. You will get questions about it and might get chased down to be asked what it is. I wish you the best in finding an SVX ( a 97 would be nice but expect to pay alot more and a 94 pearl with only 92k and taken care of is up there ) the SVX has been called the poor mans Porsche but I disagree the SVX is so comfortable when driving its just feels great nothing is poor about it (expect the trans maybe )

1994 SVX LS - 5spd AWD Emerald Green 202k miles PWR Radiator, HID 5000k, New paint job with issues, 17" STI BBS wheels, converted to 5spd AWD from FWD. Purchased from SVXyGirl 2/20/09 -- Undergoing complete rebuild
1993 Justy 4wd 5door- Teal of sorts , beater.
2008 OBXT Newport Pearl 65k miles

Last edited by Wikedjuggalo; 08-05-2008 at 08:58 PM.