Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 10-09-2006, 04:19 PM
I work for my SVX

Registered SVX
Stage 1 chip

What performance do you feel? I installed mine a week ago, and if feels like it's straining in the low RPMs, like it was in third gear. It ran smoother before. Is this normal?
Old 10-09-2006, 05:01 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
Most reports state that it takes a bit of time for the ECU to relearn and gets better over time.
Old 10-09-2006, 05:07 PM

I have that ecutune stage1. The lower RPM's is where I saw the most benefits. I saw benefits the minute after it was installed. It consistantly barks the front tires a little coming off the line where before it did nothing. My brother has a Saturn Ion with a 5 speed and before the chip he would always get me the first 100 feet before I could catch up, now I catch up in about 30 to 50 feet. Yes I'm 35 and my brother is 44 and we still race each other despite having childrens car seats, and Elmo cds in the cars.

Last edited by Hose92SVX; 10-09-2006 at 05:11 PM.
Old 10-15-2006, 02:41 PM
I work for my SVX

Registered SVX
I liked the way the car was running before, it was smooth. Now it's harsh and rough. Car sounds like a VW rather than a Subaru.
Old 10-28-2006, 03:40 PM
I work for my SVX

Registered SVX
It has been a month since I installed the stage one chip. The gas milage has droped from 25 to 17MPG (highway). The engine sounds rough, straining, reaches close to 3K RPM just to reach 40 miles an hour. I had the car checked at the trans shop, my local guy for exhaust leaks and I replaced the air filter with a K&N filter. I still have the same problem. I am very picky with the way my car runs, It wasn't as fast on low RPMs before but it was SMOOTHER. I am taking out the chip to see if it makes a difference. Has anyone had a similar experience?
Old 10-29-2006, 07:39 AM

Mine was fine.

Greg
Old 10-29-2006, 08:48 AM
6MT STi-ified, now with R180!

Send a message via ICQ to Nemesis Destiny Send a message via MSN to Nemesis Destiny
Perhaps you should address the issue with the chip manufacturer. They may have an answer for you...
1992 LS-L Touring, Liquid Silver w/ Black, 110k mi. "Alice." Rebuilt title. Mods: WRX 6-CD changer, 17x8" Motegi LC-12 (16.5lbs), PWR rad, Perrin LCP, JDM v.8 6MT + R180, Koni + Ground Control (325f/280r), Earthworm Bushings. Awaiting resto.
1994 LSI The legendary "Shotgun Slade" 110k mi and still going strong!

2005 Outback XT Limited 5MT, Obsidian Black Pearl, 211k km, daily driver.
1999 Mazda MX5 base 5MT, Twilight Blue Metallic, 152k km. "Twilight Sparkle" Summer daily driver!
2007 Honda CR-V, some awful shade of light green *yawn*

1992 LS-L Touring, Ebony Mica, 176k kms. Parts car. SCRAPPED.
1992 LS-L, Dark Teal, 367k km. "Wintergreen" the winter beater.*SCRAPPED due to rust*
Old 10-29-2006, 09:10 AM
Official AutoX Part Breaker
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by dannmarr
It has been a month since I installed the stage one chip. The gas milage has droped from 25 to 17MPG (highway). The engine sounds rough, straining, reaches close to 3K RPM just to reach 40 miles an hour. I had the car checked at the trans shop, my local guy for exhaust leaks and I replaced the air filter with a K&N filter. I still have the same problem. I am very picky with the way my car runs, It wasn't as fast on low RPMs before but it was SMOOTHER. I am taking out the chip to see if it makes a difference. Has anyone had a similar experience?
Definitely check with Michael (LAN) to make sure you did everything right during the install. You kept yourself grounded while removing the stock chip and installing the ECUTune chip, right?

Are you saying that the engine is turning at 3,000 rpms while you're cruising at 40mph? Is so, you should probably have another look at the trans.

Can you get the car to a shop that has a diagnostic machine with an A/F probe?

-Bill

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

Center Network Member #989

'92 Fully caged, 5 speed, waiting for its fully built EG33
'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
'92(?) Laguna, 6 spd and other stuff (still at OT's place)
My Locker
Old 10-29-2006, 09:15 AM
Official AutoX Part Breaker
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Quote:
I liked the way the car was running before, it was smooth. Now it's harsh and rough. Car sounds like a VW rather than a Subaru.
Not to say it might not be an issue with the chip, but have you checked for any engine codes that would indicate some other problem (vacuum leak, coil going bad, plugs that need to be replaced, etc.). The stage 1 chip will run the car at a richer a/f, which might just have been rich enough to foul out a plug or two if you already had a lot of miles on the plugs to begin with.
Good luck getting your car back on track!
-Bill
p.s. have you checked to make sure all of the connectors going into the ECU are pushed back in tight?

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

Center Network Member #989

'92 Fully caged, 5 speed, waiting for its fully built EG33
'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
'92(?) Laguna, 6 spd and other stuff (still at OT's place)
My Locker
Old 10-29-2006, 10:26 AM
Banned
Subaru Gold Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Budfreak
I've had mine in for about 3 weeks now and I absolutely love it. No problems to report at all. Hope you get it figured out danmarr.
Old 11-01-2006, 05:31 PM
I work for my SVX

Registered SVX
Great performance

My car is back to normal, after replacing the spark plugs, (SVXRIDE was correct). The spark plugs were fouled with carbon deposits. My mechanic said an overrich air/fuel mixture will do this. Now that the car is O.K, should I keep the chip in or take it out?

Last edited by dannmarr; 11-01-2006 at 08:36 PM.
Old 11-02-2006, 07:48 AM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
Leave it in. When was the last time your O2 sensors were changed?
Old 11-02-2006, 03:29 PM
I work for my SVX

Registered SVX
Sensors were changed this year.
Old 11-06-2006, 07:33 PM
Just some dude.

Significant Technical Input
I haven't heard of any issues of spark plug fouling problems. If your car is running rich and you foul the plugs again I'd check out your temp sensor. You could also put in iridiums but I suspect you just had bad plugs and won't see the problem again.
Old 11-06-2006, 08:06 PM
Frequent User

Quote:
My car is back to normal, after replacing the spark plugs, (SVXRIDE was correct). The spark plugs were fouled with carbon deposits. My mechanic said an overrich air/fuel mixture will do this. Now that the car is O.K, should I keep the chip in or take it out?

+1 for SVXRIDE You would be well served to get the AFR checked at a local diagnostic center. Please post back your results.