Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 09-25-2006, 06:18 AM

Tranny rebuild no good?

What's up guys. I just finished rebuilding my tranny, but it seems as though I'm still having issues. Occassionally, at low rpms, it'll shift hard, and the car shifts from 3rd to 4th a lot when cruising. You think that transmission AOD thing smallcar sells would fix this? This is my first automatic car. I miss my 3rd pedal Do you think the ecutune stage 1 upgrade I installed is the cause of this at all? Also, I used Mobile 1 synthetic ATF. Is it bad for the tranny to use something not so thick? Thanks guys.
Old 09-25-2006, 07:48 AM
Inventor of the 5-speed swap

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVXtacy
What's up guys. I just finished rebuilding my tranny, but it seems as though I'm still having issues. Occassionally, at low rpms, it'll shift hard, and the car shifts from 3rd to 4th a lot when cruising. You think that transmission AOD thing smallcar sells would fix this? This is my first automatic car. I miss my 3rd pedal Do you think the ecutune stage 1 upgrade I installed is the cause of this at all? Also, I used Mobile 1 synthetic ATF. Is it bad for the tranny to use something not so thick? Thanks guys.

Sounds like you need to adjust the brake bands a little, which can be done in the car from the top....
88 XT6 AWD 5-Speed "Bride of FrankenWedge"
15 Impreza Premium Sedan
15 Crosstrek XV 5-Speed
My 5-Speed "How-To" Write-up
1976 Pontiac Firebird Formula
Current Count of Subaru's Owned.... "70"
Old 09-25-2006, 08:30 AM

Hmmm...interesting. Care to elaborate, cause I've never heard of this before.
Old 09-25-2006, 10:01 AM

The adjusting nut for the brake band is on the top of the tranny case, on the driver's side.

it has a locking nut (17mm I think) loosen it, then tighthen the small center bolt (10mm I think) then lock the nut back down...only do this 1/4 turn at a time, as you don't want to get it too tight or you're cause wear on the brake bands....and don't get it to loose, because if it gets too loose, it will jump off inside the tranny, which will require dissasemble to put back in place

You can do the adjustment from the engine compartment....BUT it is a PITA due to all the hoses, and cables in the way.
Once you've done it a couple times you learn where the best place to get to it is...then it'll be a little easier to do...but expect the first time to take a while.
15 Impreza Premium Sedan
15 Crosstrek XV 5-Speed
Old 09-25-2006, 12:40 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
The 3/4 hunting can be caused by a dirty Throttle Position Sensor (TPS).
Old 09-26-2006, 05:49 PM
$1 is just $1, but $2 = nachos

Also, a burnt out TPS step-down resistor will effect the shifting. Check this.
Old 09-27-2006, 09:40 AM

Say, will one of those smallcar transmission shift kits help out at all? It'll be like killing 2 birds with one stone if it really works.
Old 09-27-2006, 09:41 AM

Also, I have an unholy amount of vibration when I'm stopped, but if I shift to nuetral, it's gone. Same when I accelerate. The idling revs look good (about 600 rpm), so what do you think is the cause? I washed the engine with that degreaser crap. You think that has anything to do with it?
Old 09-28-2006, 12:04 PM

Bump....someone answer
Old 09-28-2006, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Also, I have an unholy amount of vibration when I'm stopped, but if I shift to nuetral, it's gone. Same when I accelerate. The idling revs look good (about 600 rpm), so what do you think is the cause? I washed the engine with that degreaser crap. You think that has anything to do with it?

sounds like a miss in the engine, probably nothing to do with the tranny, and yes washing off the motor with degreaser could be the cause of it, but not definitely.

Could be a bad coil, bad plug, vacuum leak, dirty injectors, ect, ect....no real way to diag. over the internet...but start by cleaning and checking all the ground points on the motor, there are several.
15 Impreza Premium Sedan
15 Crosstrek XV 5-Speed
Old 09-29-2006, 05:53 AM

I figured as much....anyone know where to get an SVX service manual , boxer engines scare me
Old 09-29-2006, 07:20 AM

Quote:
boxer engines scare me
Why should they? Ferdinand Porsche, Andre Citroen, and the Jowett brothers (amongst others) weren't scared of them.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flat_twin

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flat_four

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flat-6

It's a very good way to build an engine.
Old 09-29-2006, 05:42 PM

Yea, I think a more appropriate response would be 6 cyl cars scare me. The only other one I ever had was a VR4, and it was essentially a 4g63 with 2 extra cylinders. Neither car has any space to work on it easily tho.
Old 09-29-2006, 09:13 PM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX
the EG33 is a 2.2l with 2 more cylinders... same concept. Sounds like your vibration issue could possibly be something related to a mount breaking loose or the torque mount binding up. I have a bad feeling it all has to do with the trans though

Tom
Old 10-01-2006, 10:39 AM

I would check 2 things, one pull your coil packs and check for watter in the tube...this will cause a miss because the spark will go to the tube before it goes to the plug(path or least restance) second I would check your mounts a broken mount would do the same thing and you wouldnt feel it as much when driving. also check your exhaust mounts if you have one of them gooberd up somehow and it has the exhause pulled to tight or rubbing the body...same thing..... with the shifting problem in low gear ...Ill put $100 on the brake band... did you torque it right? I dont rembemer to the T but you torque it to like 37lbs then back it off 10 turns... im sure it is on here somewhere (or alldata has it thats where I got it,,its not even in the dealer manual) but there is a special tool for this...funky wrench that fits on the top of the band shaft and it makes the job real easy...it is bent so it fits like a glove ( I have been thinking about having a few made and selling them on here for some beer money...the dealer wants somehitn glike $180 for it :O() I hope I helped