Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 07-11-2006, 07:38 PM

Fixed shakiness, now dead alternator?

So I had 2 bad coil packs, and my car sat in pieces for about a week while I diagnosed the problem and waited for my parts. This included the battery and alternator being removed and re-installed about 3 times each. After every time I would re-install it, my battery light would come on only when the keys werent in the ignition. But it wasnt a big deal. As of yesterday, I got my coil packs, fixed the problem, and stopped caring. However, the battery light remained on. My alternator belt was slightly loose, but I was planning to go back in there and tighten it today. It wasnt too bad though, just enough that if you floored it or took a really hard corner, you would hear it squeak. But I didnt think much of it. So it drove fine all last night and all of today, until I noticed it started taking an extra couple of seconds. Then my radio started to turn itself off while driving, and then my ABS and Airbag lights both came on. Next time that I tried to re-start, all I got was the relay click. I took out the battery and alternator again, looked everything over, re-assembled it, tightened the alternatore belt really well, and still, nothing. I had enough power for the electronics in the car to work, but not start. This is obvsiouly a dead alternator and/or battery, but they were both just replaced only 9 months ago! This is pissing me off, I only had it back for a day before it broke again. Anyone have any idea how this happened to a mostly new battery and alternator? I am taking my alternator to Autozone to have them bench test it in alittle bit. If its bad, ill get a new alternator. If its good, a new battery. But any ideas how I possibly did this? I know I broke it myself, there is no other explanation for it.
Old 07-11-2006, 07:42 PM
Freezepop's are Awesome!!!!
Subaru Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Hocrest
I just had this problem when I swapped engines.

The insulation was cracked on the two wires that plug into the alternator and they were making contact. Pull the wrap off and check the wires. the insulation will be brittle. tape up any areas that are cracked.
Old 07-12-2006, 06:01 PM

I checked it out, and the wires seem ok. I removed the batter yand alternator, and took them both into Autozone to have them tested. They both are bad. I am assuming that one killed the other, whichever one went bad first. Well, the battery has a 75 month warranty, so it is at Interstate right now, while they decide what is wrong and either fix or replace it. I am going to get a new alternator off of e-bay. However, considering both battery and alternator were replaced 10 months ago, and the previous owner replaced the alternator a few months before that, why do my alternators keep dying? This is going to be the 3rd alternator in 18 months. That must mean that somehting else is wrong.
Old 07-12-2006, 06:34 PM
Old Fogey

Registered SVX
I'd take a good look at the grounds. Remove and burnish the contact area for Batt and body grounds and make sure you get them back on tight and clean! Do a search on Alternator mod and you'll see a whole lot of possibly pertinant info regarding wire guage from alt to Batt. Good luck! I agree it sounds flaky to "fail" so many alts.

Glenn

1993 25th Anniversary Edition #63 of 301. R.I.P. Rojo 7/24/2008 She saved my life!
1997 Ebony Mica Pearl LSI. BLACKBERRY
1998 5-Spd Legacy GT Wagon in Glacier White: NUBURU
2005 Cadillac STS in Sandstorm Metallic: STORMY

Veteran and farthest traveler of 1st SoCal2MuseumsMeet2010.

http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/user.php?RojoRocket
Old 07-12-2006, 08:38 PM

Well I didnt win the ebay alternator. So my options are to get one online for the small price of an arm and a leg, hopefully find someone on the network who has one they are willing to part with, or get one of those "Duralast" ones from autozone. Are those any good?