How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 05-15-2006, 06:45 AM

Send a message via AIM to SVXMAN2001
Worse driving styles?

I went home this past weekend, (va - ny) 300 miles and began wondering what was the worse driving style. while going home i varied in speeds between 70 and 105 mph. Is going that fast worse than bumper to bumper traffic on the car? The more i drive my svx, the more i realize how much this car loves to be pushed, it almost seems to be in its element above 80!!
Old 05-15-2006, 06:53 AM

Send a message via AIM to Suby Fan Send a message via MSN to Suby Fan Send a message via Yahoo to Suby Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVXMAN2001
I went home this past weekend, (va - ny) 300 miles and began wondering what was the worse driving style. while going home i varied in speeds between 70 and 105 mph. Is going that fast worse than bumper to bumper traffic on the car? The more i drive my svx, the more i realize how much this car loves to be pushed, it almost seems to be in its element above 80!!
its the fact that the gear ratio is so high on the stock auto tranny... i know the window stickers says 24 but when i drove my baby home going about 70-75 i got 27!
need work done? Have tools will travel
Old 05-15-2006, 06:55 AM

Steady highway speed is easier on a car than a bumper-to-bumper grind. A wise man told me years ago: "Runnin' 70 mile an 'our don't hurt a car; it's how ya get 'er there that matters."

Don't know that that applies up to 105 MPH, though.

I put about 300 miles on my SVX yesterday and was thinking in a similar vein. It's not easy to drive this car conservatively.

dcb
Old 05-15-2006, 06:56 AM
Old Guy

Quote:
The car is in its element but I question whether or not YOU are in your element at that speed. In heavy traffic, things happen very quickly and your time to respond is shortened by your speed. The higher your speed, the less likely you are to have time to think about your response, and if you make a mistake, high speed offers no second chances. Let me suggest that you limit your speed in traffic to that of the surrounding cars, unless there is an opening that allows you to put distance between yourself and others. It is always wise to maintain a cushion of distance between cars, even if you have to drive faster in order to obtain this position. Once there, maintain a speed that maintains the cushion position. Otherwise, save the need-for-speed of the SVX for the open road, or better still a closed course where traffic is limited. Best wishes.
Preston
Old 05-15-2006, 07:36 AM
Bipa

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDSides
The car is in its element but I question whether or not YOU are in your element at that speed. In heavy traffic, things happen very quickly and your time to respond is shortened by your speed. The higher your speed, the less likely you are to have time to think about your response, and if you make a mistake, high speed offers no second chances.
....Preston
Bumper to bumper stop and go is definitely harder on the car than going along at a fairly constant speed, regardless if it is fast or slow. Constant speed means you aren't putting any wear on the brakes, aren't shifting gears, and in general there's less wear and tear overall.

We already talked about speed and possible danger in the thread: Is 128mph "reckless driving"? You can see one of my posts from that thread about the danger of speeding with a real-life example here
Old 05-15-2006, 08:21 AM

i do realize that driving very fast is reckless, rest assured when going that fast there were no other cars around. I just wanted to get opinions on which is a worse driving style.
Old 05-15-2006, 08:40 AM

interesting article bipa, makes me think twice
Old 05-15-2006, 09:53 AM
Old Timer (age that is)

Send a message via Yahoo to lhopp77
Registered SVX
Agree

I agree that speed differential is a real problem and can be very hazardousand even fatal. Also, never assume that other drivers on the road see you at all---many are in total space as far as their surroundings are concerned. Even if speeding I concentrate on keeping a speed differential that at least allows for reaction time. Fortunately our speed limit is respectable (75), traffic if fairly light, lots of wide open spaces and roads I travel are in good condition.

I also agree that the SVX loves to cruise in the 80-85 mph range.

Lee
96 SVX LSi Red
92 SVX LS Pearl (Parts)
01 F150 4X4 Red
(+6 with other members of the family)

FREEDOM IS NOT FREE
Old 05-15-2006, 10:36 AM
Takin tools to task

Send a message via MSN to NikFu S.
Registered SVX
Kage throttle no jutsu is the worst driving style. I felled all of it's masters without effort with my Nikfu zen ryuken.

I also find this car easy to drive even at low speeds. My favorite speed is about 60-65.

'92 Dark Teal SVX LS-L, >146,000m
3 pedals, 5 speeds., restoration underway.
2012 Honda Insight, slow but cute.
Old 05-15-2006, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikFu S.
My favorite speed is about 60-65.
My car is grumpy at those speeds, muttering to me, "come oonnnnnn..."

dcb
Old 05-15-2006, 02:43 PM

Send a message via AIM to Suby Fan Send a message via MSN to Suby Fan Send a message via Yahoo to Suby Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bipa
Bumper to bumper stop and go is definitely harder on the car than going along at a fairly constant speed, regardless if it is fast or slow. Constant speed means you aren't putting any wear on the brakes, aren't shifting gears, and in general there's less wear and tear overall.

We already talked about speed and possible danger in the thread: Is 128mph "reckless driving"? You can see one of my posts from that thread about the danger of speeding with a real-life example here
i agree with this artice to an extent because when there is light traffic and i drop the hammer on a high way i only do it on 3 lanes with large sholders... and never get with in a lane of another car
need work done? Have tools will travel
Old 05-15-2006, 04:32 PM
Old Guy

Quote:
I may have missed the boat with my previous response. Seems you were asking whether or not wear & tear issues differ between driving at highway speeds or in bumper-to-bumper traffic. I assume by bumper-to-bumper you refer to constant stop-and-go. I've been in lots of bumper-to-bumper traffic that was moving at 60-80mph - scary! Constant up and down shifting of your transmission builds up heat that eventually can kill the unit. Brakes take a beating, and every rotating part of the car is stressed by sheer forces. To my way of thinking, a car with 50K open highway miles driven at or near the posted speed limit undergoes less wear than the same car at 20K miles of stop-and-go city driving. I know of no "conversion chart" for figuring such but this is my own estimation. So, what can you do? I'd opt for finding alternative routes that get you out of stop-and-go traffic. If that won't work, try adjusting your driving time to get an earlier or later start so that you avoid (or lessen) stop-and-go traffic. Better still, arrange to take public transportation and leave your car at home (or in a secure parking lot).
Preston
Old 05-15-2006, 06:09 PM

Send a message via AIM to mikecg Send a message via Yahoo to mikecg
One thing to add to this whole conversation. Everyone talks about other cars and so forth. Has anyone ever considered what can happen if you hit a small object that is hard to see from a distance. Think Rabbit or even just a bump or pothole. Hit either on or these at over 100mph and you will cause major damage to your car. Enough so that you could lose control. (blow tire at 100+MPH = BAD Day)
Old 05-16-2006, 04:25 AM
Bipa

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikecg
One thing to add to this whole conversation. Everyone talks about other cars and so forth. Has anyone ever considered what can happen if you hit a small object that is hard to see from a distance. Think Rabbit or even just a bump or pothole. Hit either on or these at over 100mph and you will cause major damage to your car. Enough so that you could lose control. (blow tire at 100+MPH = BAD Day)
Yes, that can be quite the experience. Yet how many of us ALWAYS do a walk around the car and check the tires every time we fill the tank? A simple 3 minute check can often help prevent blown tires by identifying potential problems before they bite you. It may sound strange, but Hubby and I can't afford to buy cheap tires given our driving patterns. Sometimes the cheap stuff ends up costing you a lot more in the end.

As for (small) potholes and bumps, the SVX handles them quite nicely at high speeds

P.S. I almost hit a cow the other week. Wasn't going fast, maybe 25 mph going around a curve near my place, but cows at ANY speed will cause a lot of damage. Rabbits are the least of my concern
Old 05-16-2006, 07:08 AM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX
Worste driving styles??

Mine......

Tom