Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-07-2006, 01:11 PM
Yeah, I'm still around

First autoX WOOO HOOO!

I did my first autoX (ride-n-drive in a Lotus Elise last year didn't count) in the '95 auto yesterday. Four hours of classroom on Friday evening and 10 runs on Saturday. Dropped over 4 seconds from first to last run . Neeedless to say, I had a blast and wore a perma last night. Can't wait to do it again which is good as the Detroit region has a number of competitions through-out the season.

Got lots of "cool car, I loved those when they came out" and "very nice, don't see many of those on the roads these days" . Got solid feedback from my instructor and now need to start upgrading ('95 needs struts and better brake pads) or getting on of the other two on the road.

Wattablast!

Todd
Old 05-07-2006, 01:41 PM

How Long Was The Course?

Congratulations. 4 sec. is a lot of improvement in an auto tans car.
Now your only problem is better suspension and brakes and you were gonna do that anyway, right. If they have 1/8 mile drags those are also a lot of bang for the buck and a fun way to "tune" your engine. Did you learn much in the class room?
WGJ
Old 05-07-2006, 04:09 PM
Row faster...I hear banjos!!!!

Thumbs up

Sounds like you had a serious blast out there Todd!!!!!! I only autoX'd my former '96 twice, but both times were very enjoyable.

2013 Cosmic Blue 5spd Evo X GSR
2006 Galaxy Gray 6MT RX-8 (sold)
2006 Steel Gray WRX TR (sold)
1996 Brilliant Red SVX L (sold)
Old 05-07-2006, 05:04 PM
Not as old as Randy

Significant Technical Input
Yay! for you. I was looking for a 'big wood' icon to 'fix' your quote but after tripping over 'Matt & Tom's Big Gay Roadtrip' website (blame Google) I had second thoughts...

See how you are! Out spinning your tires in some deserted parking lot instead of drinking mint juleps down here! What, we don't have enough potholes down here?
Old 05-07-2006, 07:20 PM
Official AutoX Part Breaker
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Todd,
Nice! Check EBay for used (but not abused) R-Comp Hoosiers or Kumhos and you'll cut another second off your times. Then there are those dual adjustable Koni inserts with GC coil overs...
-Bill

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

Center Network Member #989

'92 Fully caged, 5 speed, waiting for its fully built EG33
'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
'92(?) Laguna, 6 spd and other stuff (still at OT's place)
My Locker
Old 05-08-2006, 12:02 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Zeppelin Send a message via AIM to Zeppelin Send a message via Yahoo to Zeppelin
Sweet Todd! Can't wat to get my Talon out there this year!

http://stickyvinylgraphics.com/
Old 05-08-2006, 04:43 PM
Yeah, I'm still around

Have fun Mark. It's addicting.

My runs started at 39.129 seconds and dropped to a best (2nd to last run) of 35.551 seconds. I went a little wild on my last run ad picked up 2/10ths...and a couple of cones for fun

WGJ-the classroom session was very helpful. Talked about what to bring, how to prep the car the night before, proper lines thru corners, safety, and mett-n-greet your instructor. Nicely done! I am planning brake and suspenion upgrades, just not on this SVX. I'll probably try a drag race this summer for giggles too.

Chike-I did. Is the Rex going to autocross?

Beav-As I was driving an auto, who said I wasn't drinking a mint julep (pinky extended for style points you know!) Pot holes, Detroit has pot holes??? Where?

Bill-I did the runs on the Kumhos with the side wall bulge but they were fine. I have a set of Hankooks in 235/40-17 and may try a friends STi wheels with Falken Azenis 615 in 255/40-17's for fun . I'm going to Home Depot tomorrow night witha strut body in hand BTW!
Old 05-08-2006, 05:47 PM
Who watches the watchmen?

Congrats! Knocking 4s off a 40s course is awesome! Now that you have been bitten by the autox bug, it is just a matter of time before you will want to start changing camber, shocks, sway bars, differentials, etc. There are at least a dozen things you can do to go faster at an autox. One is to mess with the car. The rest involve practice on the course.

Check out the marquee car clubs in your area. They will usually let other cars from other makers autox. My buddy in his suped up Pontiac Firehawk runs autox with the BMW club. You won't be in a position to win any trophies, but it is a good way to get some additional experience.

-Matt
Old 05-08-2006, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wawazat??
Todd,

The WRX is being autoXed heavily! In terms of PAX, I'm doing better this year than ever before, but this is my first full season and I'm still a novice. I've done three events for the year (highest placing was 3rd out of 6 or 7) and I have two more coming up in the next 3-4 weeks.

I still have a stock car and competed on the crappy 215/45/17 Bridgestone RE92 all-season tires that came with my car. However, last weekend, I had some 225/45/17 Kuhmo Ecsta Supra 712's installed on my stock wheels and had the front -ve camber adjusted to the max that the stock suspension would allow (w/o using camber bolts). The car is much more neutral in corners and oversteer is much easier to induce (to tighten up your line in sharp corners).

-Chike

P.S. When setting up your SVX for autoX action, first thing you need to do is decide which class you plan to compete in - and modify within the rules.

Old 05-08-2006, 06:25 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
You're racing your low mileage 95!?!

Get your 5spd together with the Koni/GC's you've had on the shelf for ages and race that one!
Old 05-09-2006, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Couple pics of my 'Rex' in action:

-Chike

Old 05-09-2006, 02:37 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Quote:

Bill-I did the runs on the Kumhos with the side wall bulge but they were fine. I have a set of Hankooks in 235/40-17 and may try a friends STi wheels with Falken Azenis 615 in 255/40-17's for fun . I'm going to Home Depot tomorrow night witha strut body in hand BTW!

Todd,
You're a brave man risking those SSR rims .... The 615s should definitely buy you some time!
Home Depot -- outstanding!
-Bill

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
My Locker
Old 05-09-2006, 02:38 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiketkd
Couple pics of my 'Rex' in action:

-Chike

Look out, she's going to tip over!!! ....you really need to get some better springs and bars on that thing ;-)
-Bill

My Locker
Old 05-09-2006, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVXRide
Look out, she's going to tip over!!! ....you really need to get some better springs and bars on that thing ;-)
-Bill
You of all people should know that I can't add better springs in a stock class! By next season I'll have a larger fsb, agx shocks and r-comps.

That pic was taken at a really tight hairpin where you come in at ~40-45mph, slammed on the brakes and had to make almost a 180* turn to the left.

-Chike

Old 05-09-2006, 02:52 PM
Certified Porschephile

Is he allowed to change the suspension?