How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 04-21-2006, 05:23 PM

Send a message via AIM to SVXMAN2001
Worth fixing?

Ok so i bought a 92 black svx with more rust than should be on an svx (there should be none!) and the rear quarter is rusted, now i didn't know that that is part of the frame and it isn't a matter of simply replacing it. The rust is right where the rear quarter panel meets the top of the side skirts. Its pretty much eaten a good portion and really no structure to that part. Is there anything that could be done? I can deal with replacing the mechanical parts but if this thing is going to keep rusting on me its really not worth it in my opinion...
Old 04-21-2006, 05:27 PM
Still 1.7K to go...
Subaru Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to SilverSpear Send a message via MSN to SilverSpear Send a message via Skype™ to SilverSpear
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVXMAN2001
Ok so i bought a 92 black svx with more rust than should be on an svx (there should be none!) and the rear quarter is rusted, now i didn't know that that is part of the frame and it isn't a matter of simply replacing it. The rust is right where the rear quarter panel meets the top of the side skirts. Its pretty much eaten a good portion and really no structure to that part. Is there anything that could be done? I can deal with replacing the mechanical parts but if this thing is going to keep rusting on me its really not worth it in my opinion...
Pics????

1994 Silver SVX in hybernation, awaiting for the monsterous awakening (Lebanon)
1967 Mercedes-Benz 250SL Euro Specs, Hard/Softtop, White/Red. Under Complete Restoration
2013 Mercedes-Benz SL350 Euro Specs, White/Red. Mint... Another step into SL Collection.
Old 04-21-2006, 05:31 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
My right rear quarter is rusting. Starts happening after body work. I've looked into cutting & replacing the bad metal but was told that it won't last. The suggestion I was told was to replace the entire quarter panel to the tune of $2500.
Old 04-21-2006, 05:42 PM
Still 1.7K to go...

Send a message via AIM to SilverSpear Send a message via MSN to SilverSpear Send a message via Skype™ to SilverSpear
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Earthworm
My right rear quarter is rusting. Starts happening after body work. I've looked into cutting & replacing the bad metal but was told that it won't last. The suggestion I was told was to replace the entire quarter panel to the tune of $2500.
Who said so????? just sand it down, then cut and replace the worn metal. NEVER change the whole quarter panel, this is one of the toughest bodywork that could be made on the SVX. If your bodyworker is not skilled enough, the car would look funny and uneven..

1994 Silver SVX in hybernation, awaiting for the monsterous awakening (Lebanon)
1967 Mercedes-Benz 250SL Euro Specs, Hard/Softtop, White/Red. Under Complete Restoration
2013 Mercedes-Benz SL350 Euro Specs, White/Red. Mint... Another step into SL Collection.
Old 04-21-2006, 05:49 PM

i wish i had pics! i am in virginia now and the car is in ny. Interesting responses guys, tough decision...
Old 04-21-2006, 05:53 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
Mine's probably beyond repair.
Old 04-21-2006, 06:06 PM

do you have a pic earthworm, that way i have something to compare...
Old 04-21-2006, 06:38 PM
Meow!

I'll do that this weekend.
Old 04-21-2006, 06:47 PM

thanks i'd really appreciate it
Old 06-28-2006, 09:44 PM
A mom with style ;-)

Send a message via Yahoo to momzsvx
I am seeking info for a rust bitten SVX

I just purchased my 1994 SVX. The car's engine seems to be great, yet the body needs some TLC. There is a lot of rust under the side door panels on each door both starting in the middle. I have a 1992 SVX with the same problem. My husband has not done sheet metal on cars for a long time and his experience on airplanes has been 5 years ago. He used rivets in aviation. I want my car looking hot by next summer. What can be done or has anyone been faced with this problem? The previous owner had some striping done on the car to cover up the rust. It’s done poorly, and I do want to peal it off, however it looks better then all of the rust staring at you.

92 LS-L parts
94-LSi My baby
95-(AWD) polo green T-Boned
Old 06-28-2006, 09:58 PM
Freezepop's are Awesome!!!!

Send a message via AIM to Hocrest
Quote:
Originally Posted by momzsvx
I want my car looking hot by next summer. What can be done or has anyone been faced with this problem?
What color is your car? I have a few rust free doors for sale. If you drive out here I will swap the doors and get rid of the rusty ones and you can drive home a rust free SVX
Old 06-29-2006, 01:51 AM
One teal and One yellow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earthworm

Black color is not very obvious....you don't want to fix it is okay. People can't tell them from a far distance...

I think $2500 is alot (Is that US dollars?). I got a quote from a friend of mine that working at home (Bodyshop man more than 25yrs) ... Assuming my conditions are bad on both rear quarter panels, he could do that for me about $250!

92 LS-L TEAL since Aug '01
92 LS-L YELLOW since Mar '05
Old 06-29-2006, 05:34 AM

Few rusting cars are beyond repair. Someone accomplished at restorations could cut-in new sheet metal and even structural sections; it's done all the time on antique and classic cars. Quarter-panels, floor pans, front clips... think about it. Trouble is, you probably won't find such a skilled hand at the local Maaco. And he won't come cheap.

The real problem with those rusting doors is, you gotta figure the rest of the car isn't far behind.

dcb
Old 06-29-2006, 11:15 AM
Meow!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSSVX
Black color is not very obvious....you don't want to fix it is okay. People can't tell them from a far distance...

I think $2500 is alot (Is that US dollars?). I got a quote from a friend of mine that working at home (Bodyshop man more than 25yrs) ... Assuming my conditions are bad on both rear quarter panels, he could do that for me about $250!
No, Canadian dollars. At the current exchange rate that works out to USD$2241. This includes the new panel, installation and paint.

The books say 20 hours of labour are required.
Old 06-29-2006, 11:25 AM
Now with Colder Air!

Send a message via AIM to Amazonparrot Send a message via MSN to Amazonparrot
Its a tough call to be sure, good luck in your decision....I wouldnt sink 2500 into it though
1992 Subaru SVX LS-L Ebony Mica: Custom Cold Air Intake, Smallcar Shift Kit, ECUtune Stage 1v4, Flowmaster Exhaust, UR underdrive pulley, 4.11 gears, iRotors Drilled and Slotted rotors, Axxis Brake Pads, 18" Enkei Wheels w/Pirelli Pzero Nero M+S, 20% Window Tinting, K&N Panel Filter, Rockford Fosgate Sound System w/XM Radio, Removed Intake Resonator *SOLD*

2003 Subaru WRX: 2003 Impreza WRX (Aspen White); Vishnu Stage II; IHI VF-34 Turbo; Walbro fuel pump, STi Injectors, Vishnu Up-pipe, Down-pipe and Signature 3" Cat-back; Samco Intercooler hoses; JIC Coilovers; STi A-arms; Whiteline swarbar bushings; Stoptech 13" rotors w/4-piston calipers; Braided Steel brake lines; 17" Rota Wheels with 225/45/17 Falken Azenis (R-Comp).
Charlottesville, VA Represent! (voted #1 place in America to live!)

http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/user.php?Amazonparrot