How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 02-09-2006, 11:24 PM
THAWA

Swaybar mount point

What is the advantage of having the swaybar mount to the strut compared to mounting it to the control arm? Is there an advantage? Are there any disadvantages? The SVX is the only new gen subaru to have this setup. Why is that? The rear of the SVX mounts to the hub. All other new gen subarus (with the exception of v7+ STi spec C/RA I think) have the swaybar mounting to the lateral link in the rear. On the special ones (Spec C or RA, I forget which) there is a box that bolts on to the hub that connects to the swaybar. The theory behind this is it takes the load off of the lateral link, which causes minor bending, and transfers the load to the knuckle, which should be more rigid. Is this the same deal with the front suspension? Wouldn't having it mount to the strut cause bending to the strut? Or is the amount of deflection the strut recieves less important than the amount of deflection the control arm would see in the same situation? How much of a disadvantage would there be converting the swaybar to connect to the control arm or the knuckle instead of the strut?

Any ideas, suggestions comments?

Last edited by THAWA; 02-09-2006 at 11:27 PM.
Old 02-12-2006, 12:02 PM

Just a thought...

Would they not locate the stutbar where there would be the maximum potenial to bend? The strutbar is usually preventing frame torsion and adding grip in the process

I mean each chassis is designed differently and hence have different physics.

A good example if i remember is the toyota corolla AE85, The flexing points were the bumper and on the fenders of the frame due to the torsion. so they reinforced it by welding bars and subframes.

Good luck!
Old 02-13-2006, 07:42 PM
THAWA

Not the strut bar, the sway bar.