IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 03-08-2002, 07:15 PM
Invisible avatar
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Ron Mummert Send a message via Yahoo to Ron Mummert
Quote:
Originally posted by deadeye95
Visualize the mods in this website in 2012, after all the parts are gone....

The "Legacy tranny" replacement poineered by Aredubjay in the early 00's will become the standard.

I'll do the "sawed off broomstick" shifter replacement by heatshrink tubing the stick to what is left of the shifter (inspired by Chuck Yeager).

We'll all be interested in the "toggle switch" window switch replacement.

Many layers of clear paint will have to be painted over our windshields to help them hold after 50 repairs each.

I'm OEM 'till then.
Don't forget the old Compaq laptops we bolted to the headliner to use as visors.
Ron.

'92 stock semi-pristine ebony - 160K
'96 Grand Caravan - 240K
'01 Miata SE - 79K
'07 Chrysler Pacifica - 60k - future money pit.
Old 03-08-2002, 08:05 PM
Not as old as Randy

Significant Technical Input
Quote:
Originally posted by Ron Mummert

Don't forget the old Compaq laptops we bolted to the headliner to use as visors.
Ron.
Or the half-inch pipe plugs sealing this week's load of STP in our struts. And the 40 series delta forcet under the passenger seat to regulate the hot water to the heater.

Beav
Old 03-09-2002, 12:05 PM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
You will have a hard time finding 2 flowmasters small enough to fit in the stock muffler location.
I have the single in - dual out flowmaster 80 muffler mainly because nothing else would fit.
It is loud - sometimes too loud.
It sounds great at low rpm and at high rpm but has the 2.5-3k rpm buzz that I have never been able to get rid of. I originally thought it was the resonator so I chopped that off and put in a straight pipe, no go, then the stock muffler came off for a dynomax super turbo - even more buzzing, then the flowmaster went in -still buzzing and super loud, added a glasspack where the resonator was and it was a little quieter but there is still that buzzing at certain rpm.
I will try to record a decent sound file and post it
92 Ebony LS-L ECUtune Stage2av1, Z32 MAF, 370cc injectors, TomsSVX intake, BontragerWorks 22mm RSB #003, HID Hi and Lo beams, OT endlink and bushing mods, PWR Aluminum radiator, Harvey's QC shift kit, 2.5" flowmaster 80 exhaust, 17" Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, Poly sway bar bushings, Slotted Bradi rotors, AFBeefcake powdercoated calipers, 97 grill, and a huge set of air horns. 300,000 miles and counting
92 Ebony LS-L. ecutune stage1v4, motorsport 1pc pulley. Garage Queen - sold to Dad in upstate NY 155,000 miles
19 Subaru Ascent Premium - -Hers !.
89 DL 4x4 little red wagon - a.k.a. The immortal suby. 275k R.I.P.
Old 03-09-2002, 03:17 PM
Not as old as Randy

I used to 'tune' exhaust for some of my better customers. I would take a piece of 3" tubing, about 18" - 24" long and 'ball' the ends closed to where they would be snug against the pipe I was going to slide inside. (I'm guessing the SVX is 2 1/4", whatever) A good muffler shop will know how to do this.

Anyway, weld the front nipple/pipe flush to the end of the 3" piece and install on car. The rear piece I would slide in/out (the old in & out ) as the customer sat in the car and revved the engine. The air inside the rear of the 3" acts as a cushion to help eliminate the 'buzziness', being able to vary the depth will change the 'buzz' and the rpm it occurs at. Some engines you'll get lucky and eliminate it all together. When you find the spot you like weld it up and finish the system. I suppose you could use a large glasspack (sometimes called a 'blank') and accomplish the same, maybe actually better.

I know it wouldn't be as pretty but turning the tips down (when able) will eliminate a lot of racket too.

Beav
Old 03-09-2002, 10:27 PM
Rep from the outside world

Send a message via AIM to Shadow248
I see nothing wrong with wanting to keep the SVX stock...it is an amazing automobile, and there is no real need to enhance it. HOWEVER...i would be the first to start digging into possible mods if it were my car. Keep in mind that i am the type of guy who will buy a 325hp Trans Am (already way too powerful) and pay Lingenfelter Performance $6000 to put more muscle in there. Not that it's needed, but it's there!

From my experience, Flowmaster is not the kind of sound you want on an SVX. Of the ones i heard, the Stebro system seems most to my liking. I don't think it really is far from a porsche.

On the performance end, don't expect much, especially if the exhaust is all you are doing. Balance it out with a higher flowing intake (be sure to use some sort of heat shielding device or you will be doing more harm than help), and you may see a slight improvement. It will sound good with that combo though.
Old 03-10-2002, 05:52 AM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX
Question Stock or Rock'n'Roll?

This argument keeps coming up. New kids on the block come from two schools of endeavour; the "I want to stamp my individuality on this car" school, and the closely related "This car has good potential, let's bolt on a turbo/nitrous/3 foot spoiler etc etc ..." school, which is more performance than cosmetically oriented.

On the other side, the conservative ones also have various shades of opinion. The Eddycat school of maintenance and servicing means you can put anything you like on the car, provided it is stock, endorsed by Subaru, in the manual, on the Technical sheets etc. Less conservative views would allow upgrades like fully synthetic ATF, additional coolers, cryo treated rotors and so on.

Personally, I tend to be conservative about how the car looks, liking the original non-spoilered look preferred by the designer. But I am still in the less conservative camp when it comes to improvements. Practically anything that makes the car go better, last longer or be more reliable is OK by me.

Keeping the car absolutely stock implies you either think the original design was perfect and could not be improved [we 2 and 3 tranny people know better] or you are preserving the car for some future date when it will be classic, and originality is important to buyers.

It is not helpful to rubbish the other side, whichever side you're on. The forum thrives on the diversity of opinion and people we have posting here, our greatest asset. Having said that, I am far enough away not to have to listen to dadblasted "uprated" exhausts noise polluting my neighbourhood. To each his own.

Joe
White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 03-10-2002, 06:22 AM
Not as old as Randy

I'll ditto that. I know it appears that I'm a stock guy, but I really don't care. I do get tired of hearing crappy cheap mufflers that make any car sound horrible, but that's me. When I advise someone against a mod it's mainly because I think they're looking for some great benefit that I know just isn't going to happen, or worse yet, will cause something to break, be unreliable, etc. Viva la difference. I do hate seeing someone spends $$$$$$$ on shiny this and thats, thumping stereos and custom tires and wheels then crying poor-mouth when something breaks and they can't afford the proper repair. That leads to a nice car turning into a pile-o-crap.

With my luck the car is then sold and the new owner brings it to me for repairs and I have to undo all that fantastic home engineering.... I can understand where Eddycat was coming from in that respect.

Like I've said before, if we all liked the same things we'd be standing a heckuva long line.

Beav
Old 03-10-2002, 08:05 AM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Level [10] with me...

Quote:
Originally posted by Beav

With my luck the car is then sold and the new owner brings it to me for repairs and I have to undo all that fantastic home engineering.... I can understand where Eddycat was coming from in that respect.

Like I've said before, if we all liked the same things we'd be standing a heckuva long line.

Beav
Ditto your comments also, Beav. Not for nothing are heavily modified cars often worth far less on the open market or in a showroom, even though the last owner lavished thousands of dollars making it a "better" car.

On another question relating to the tranny. I have the internals from my '92 tranny in a box. Do you think it worthwhile to get the Level 10 valve body modification done?
If so, I could ship off the valve body from the older transmission and have it redone, then fitted to the transmission I currently have in the car[assuming it fits a '96 tranny].

What do you think? Is it worth the time and money and effort?

Joe

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 03-10-2002, 10:06 AM
Not as old as Randy

I'm not a tranny guy, but I do have an inkling about what's going on inside. A quality rebuild and the firming up of the shifting will yield a longer lasting transmission. Soft shifts are very hard on a transmission.

From what I've read the updates to improve lubrication (which was a major faux pas when they decided to add an extra clutch without providing extra lube) most of the inherent problems have been eliminated. The torque convertor clutch was also flaking and plugging the coolers so I would imagine the friction material inside it has been upgraded also.

I'm not going to pretend to know exactly what L10 does to their trannies but I'll venture to guess that most of the valve body work is aimed at firming up the shifts. They may have found a way to raise the speed at which fourth gear engages and re-mapped the tc lock-up, but I suspect that's strictly controlled by the TCU. I suspect what they've done is adapted a Trans-Go shift improver kit (for either Mazda or Nissan which use a variant of the same trans.) Look here (http://www.bulkparts.com/)to see some info, you might try corresponding with Trans-Go, it may save you some bucks.

Beav
Old 03-10-2002, 11:04 AM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Thumbs up

Thanks Beav

Will do.

Joe

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 03-10-2002, 05:09 PM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
flowmaster sound file

Here's what it sounds like from inside the car with a flowmaster 80 and glasspack. I apologize in advance for the quality but wanted to keep the file size small.
Ricey? - you be the judge.
Attached Files
File Type: wav flowmaster.wav (376.9 KB, 117 views)
92 Ebony LS-L ECUtune Stage2av1, Z32 MAF, 370cc injectors, TomsSVX intake, BontragerWorks 22mm RSB #003, HID Hi and Lo beams, OT endlink and bushing mods, PWR Aluminum radiator, Harvey's QC shift kit, 2.5" flowmaster 80 exhaust, 17" Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, Poly sway bar bushings, Slotted Bradi rotors, AFBeefcake powdercoated calipers, 97 grill, and a huge set of air horns. 300,000 miles and counting
92 Ebony LS-L. ecutune stage1v4, motorsport 1pc pulley. Garage Queen - sold to Dad in upstate NY 155,000 miles
19 Subaru Ascent Premium - -Hers !.
89 DL 4x4 little red wagon - a.k.a. The immortal suby. 275k R.I.P.
Old 03-10-2002, 08:48 PM
check out www.planetsvx.com

just my opinion

The only thing Ive ever heard Flowmaster sound good on are SUVs, and Mustangs. Because they are only baffled inside, they really tend to have a hollow, too raspy sound on any thing else. I dont suggest it, youll get tired of it real fast. Thats one reason I chose to sell, and offer the Magnaflow (and use it on our own cars, with a 18" resonator inline and 2.5" pipe from the catback) If you pick any brand, go for the Camaro style Cross-flow design, you only need one, it fits great and saves weight too.
www.motorsportwarehouse.com
Attached Images
File Type: jpg exhaust-w.text.jpg (130.4 KB, 103 views)

CLICK the LINK below to Visit the SVX Store:

http://www.planetsvx.com

http://www.motorsportwarehouse.com/svx/sig2.jpg

Cars in the garage:
92 Toyota Soarer Single Turbo JDM RHD
70 Boss 302 Mustang 39k original miles
97 SVX Lsi
92 Liquid Silver Murano-ized (1st of its kind)
71 Cougar Xr7 Conv 351c 4v 4spd
69 SS Camaro 350
71 Nissan RHD Fairlady Z
70 Stang Fastback
70 Amc AMX 390
71 240z
89 Conquest TSi w/ 5.0 v8 swap
84 Mustang GT Turbo conv

"good, if it bleeds, we can kill it ....."

Last edited by Motorsport-SVX; 03-10-2002 at 08:51 PM.