SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 10-13-2005, 05:43 AM
Banned
Subaru Gold Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Budfreak
Question annoying high idle

when my car is fuly warmed up and i let it idle for more than 2 or 3 minutes the idle will go up to about 950rpm's. it just started this about a month ago and now it's happening more frequently.the idle won't go back down until i shut the car off and restart it and it will just do it again if i don't get moving within a minute of restarting it. i want to try to figure it out and make sure it isn't anything performance hampering as i'm hitting the track on tuesday and really need this thing running perfect.

Also, i noticed there is now sort of a thumping coming from the engine that wasn't there before i put the new sprocket and crank pulley on it. i can only seem to hear it inside the car though. i also still have the cold knock or tap i've talked about before on here, but it still goes away when it warms up. just hope nothing goes kablooey on tuesday but if it does i guess i'll fix it one way or another like always. damn car addictions! we need to start an svx anonomous class for all of us addicts

Jason
Old 10-13-2005, 10:04 AM
Making tires round, Six now :)

Do you just hear that thumping noise at low speed idle? I have noticed a thump in both my engines. That's good for 160k miles. I have also heard 'THE THUMP" in other SVX engines. I don't hear it when the engine is working harder and loaded up. It does not appear to BE anything to worry about. Is it possible that it was there before and you didn't notice it?
Old 10-13-2005, 02:46 PM
1995 Subaru SVX LSi Polo Green

Send a message via ICQ to Manarius Send a message via AIM to Manarius Send a message via MSN to Manarius Send a message via Yahoo to Manarius Send a message via Skype™ to Manarius
Registered SVX
My car runs high idle when cold..I can make it go away with a tap of the gas pedal when warm. Perhaps your car is just feeling the effect of the cold weather.
(8/23/07-Present) 1995 Subaru SVX LSi (197k) Polo Green (#1102) 03/95
Mods: DDM Tuning 4500k 35w Low Beam HID, 100w H3 Bulbs, Extra Ground Cables, 15 minute $12.96 mod,
svxfiles designed transmission mount (), sporting a "new" tail light bar,
silver BBS rims, custom power steering cooler (one that doesn't dump ATF constantly), new negative lead cable, no more third or fourth gear
(1977-Present) 1977 Chevrolet Corvette (81k) Silver
(12/01/2011-Present) 2005 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited 5MT (97k)
I have a bad feeling about this.
-Obi Wan Kenobi
Old 10-13-2005, 03:19 PM
Banned
Subaru Gold Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by svx_commuter
Do you just hear that thumping noise at low speed idle? I have noticed a thump in both my engines. That's good for 160k miles. I have also heard 'THE THUMP" in other SVX engines. I don't hear it when the engine is working harder and loaded up. It does not appear to BE anything to worry about. Is it possible that it was there before and you didn't notice it?
i definitely would have noticed the thumping before as i always listen to my car and very rarely ever listen to the radio or anything. it only does it when idling warmed up. i'm not to worried about it, i just wanted to know what would cause it all of a sudden.
Old 10-13-2005, 03:28 PM
Banned
Subaru Gold Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manarius
My car runs high idle when cold..I can make it go away with a tap of the gas pedal when warm. Perhaps your car is just feeling the effect of the cold weather.
i don't think so because i drove it all last winter with no such thing happening and it's not even that cold out yet. it only happens when warmed up and it idles for more than a 2 or 3 minutes like at a drive thru or something. it runs as normal any other time though. i got my stupid "almost warmed up" check engine light again today too. it keeps throwing a code 32 but it rarely does it any time but when it's almost warmed up and under load and usually goes right back off within a minute. there was someone else on here with the same exact ce light problem. i'm not sure if an answer was ever found or not.
Old 10-13-2005, 05:30 PM
1995 Subaru SVX LSi Polo Green

Send a message via ICQ to Manarius Send a message via AIM to Manarius Send a message via MSN to Manarius Send a message via Yahoo to Manarius Send a message via Skype™ to Manarius
Registered SVX
Reset the ECU and see if it still has that code...maybe something is broke...
(8/23/07-Present) 1995 Subaru SVX LSi (197k) Polo Green (#1102) 03/95
Mods: DDM Tuning 4500k 35w Low Beam HID, 100w H3 Bulbs, Extra Ground Cables, 15 minute $12.96 mod,
svxfiles designed transmission mount (), sporting a "new" tail light bar,
silver BBS rims, custom power steering cooler (one that doesn't dump ATF constantly), new negative lead cable, no more third or fourth gear
(1977-Present) 1977 Chevrolet Corvette (81k) Silver
(12/01/2011-Present) 2005 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited 5MT (97k)
I have a bad feeling about this.
-Obi Wan Kenobi
Old 11-04-2005, 05:19 PM

the exact same idle issue your having I am having also. Sometimes it doesn't happen, but I don't think its anything bad, maybe a bad or going bad TPS.
Old 11-04-2005, 10:47 PM
Banned
Subaru Gold Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb21585
the exact same idle issue your having I am having also. Sometimes it doesn't happen, but I don't think its anything bad, maybe a bad or going bad TPS.
i've tested my tps by hooking up my meter and slowly moving the throttle. it looked very smooth, but i've noticed i only get my 2-3 flair on my tranny when i have the throttle in a cretain range so i'm starting to suspect it. i'll look into further in a few days.