SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 09-14-2005, 02:29 PM
Banned
Subaru Gold Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Budfreak
Question alarm questions

well, i went out last night and finally decided to tear the glove box out and check out why my alarm doesn't work. it was UNPLUGGED! after being a contortionist managed to plug it in and the led isn't working at all. i checked on it but it seems the connections are being made so i figure the led is dead. also, according to the owners manual, it won't auto lock the doors when you don't have a remote and it's supposed to honk the horn once when it arms. when mine arms i get no light flash or horn but my door locks unlock and then lock again and it's armed. it also says you have to lock it with the key but mine works by locking the doors and getting out like normal. it doesn't seem to work anything like in the manual. WTF? the shock sensor kinda sucks too. have to really hit the door hard to make the horn honk. oh yeah, it also says you'll hear clicking counting down when you get in. well mine flashes the lights and softly beeps the horn in a countdown pattern. it's so crazy! what does anyone know about this?

P.S. what's the little plastic white screw for on the module? adjust antenna or shock sensor?

P.S.S. this is the 6000th thread in tchnical q&a!!

Last edited by Budfreak; 09-14-2005 at 02:37 PM.
Old 09-15-2005, 03:07 PM
Banned
Subaru Gold Contributor

Angry Wtf!

well, i went to test the led on the alarm and was getting a solid 12 volts on one lead and a .5 volt pulse on the other terminal. the next thing i know i have no alarm! now i only get 1.5 volts on the one that had 12 and 0 on the other one. i could have possibly touched one of them to ground when testing but if that will kill the alarm then i guess i just figured out how to steal svx's. someone please help. i really need my alarm working so i don't lose the svx. i've tried disconnecting the battery for a minute and everything. HELP!
Old 09-15-2005, 06:32 PM
Old Fogey

Registered SVX
Did you check the fuse in the box? It's behind the small white plastic screw on the front of the unit.

Glenn

1993 25th Anniversary Edition #63 of 301. R.I.P. Rojo 7/24/2008 She saved my life!
1997 Ebony Mica Pearl LSI. BLACKBERRY
1998 5-Spd Legacy GT Wagon in Glacier White: NUBURU
2005 Cadillac STS in Sandstorm Metallic: STORMY

Veteran and farthest traveler of 1st SoCal2MuseumsMeet2010.

http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/user.php?RojoRocket
Old 09-15-2005, 10:19 PM
One teal and One yellow

Well, I think your alarm is alive just that you didn't activate it.

From your description, it sounds like your keyless entry is ON but your alarm is not ON. How to turn on your Alarm? Very Easy!! Go and push your (security button) once!! It should be ON now. How to test it? Close your doors and press the remote.........you should hear the (beep).

It could be the led inside the security button burn out but the security system itself is still working.....

Let me know if my guess is right.

92 LS-L TEAL since Aug '01
92 LS-L YELLOW since Mar '05
Old 09-16-2005, 05:11 AM
Banned
Subaru Gold Contributor

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSSVX
Well, I think your alarm is alive just that you didn't activate it.

From your description, it sounds like your keyless entry is ON but your alarm is not ON. How to turn on your Alarm? Very Easy!! Go and push your (security button) once!! It should be ON now. How to test it? Close your doors and press the remote.........you should hear the (beep).

It could be the led inside the security button burn out but the security system itself is still working.....

Let me know if my guess is right.

sorry my friend. way off. read my posts again. i don't have a remote for it and the alarm was functioning cause i tried it a million ways and the horn would honk and the lights would flash and so on. the led is obviously just burnt out. but thanks for trying anyway.
Old 09-16-2005, 05:15 AM
Banned
Subaru Gold Contributor

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by RojoRocket
Did you check the fuse in the box? It's behind the small white plastic screw on the front of the unit.

Glenn

so that's what the plastic little screw is?! that just makes my day in so many ways. i'm hoping that's the problem then cause i'm pretty sure i accidently touched the led lead in the security switch to a ground. was gonna go through all the fuses today but now i guess i won't have to. i'll post about what i find when i check it later. THANKS!
Old 09-16-2005, 06:37 AM
Old Fogey

Registered SVX
The fuse cover only turns like 90 degrees to release. Hope that's the problem. Good luck!

Glenn

1993 25th Anniversary Edition #63 of 301. R.I.P. Rojo 7/24/2008 She saved my life!

Old 09-17-2005, 06:19 AM
Banned
Subaru Gold Contributor

ok well that problem is solved at least.the fuse was blown so i replaced it and it's operating again.(still need a new led though) i noticed when it arms it unlocks and then locks the doors and gives a very small hardly noticable flick of the parking lights when it does so. my owners manual says it will not auto lock the doors when you don't have a remote, (which i don't)and it says it should honk the horn and flash the lights when it arms. why is mine different? anyone elses work like this? everything seems to work perfectly normal with it though in terms of protection. it goes off when i open the trunk and it flashes the lights and honks the horn in a countdown pattern if i don't put the key in quick enough. any experience here guys? i have lots of background in automotive security but it's hard to know if theres something wrong with something when you don't know how it was supposed to work in the first place. thanks guys, Jason
Old 09-17-2005, 06:43 AM
One teal and One yellow

Red face

Hehe, so I didn't catch what you said. I thought I got it (guess)what you're talking about............I was tired enough that today and read enough of stuff. When I looked at long post, I felt like sleepy.

Glad you had your problem solved.

I ain't sure what you're talking ... But my teal svx will not autolock the doors if I forgot the doors/press the remote. The yellow one will automatically lock the doors by itself if I didn't press the remote or anything. I was lost why...since they both looks like the same security system from the factory. I better don't leave my key inside the car with doors closed again.

92 LS-L TEAL since Aug '01
92 LS-L YELLOW since Mar '05
Old 09-17-2005, 07:29 AM
Subaru Gold Contributor

security system

Hi Bud, The light in the security switch is probably the same as the others in the dash etc. A little light bulb not a LED. This is the same bulb with a little condom over it to give it the color. These have been gotten at Radio Shack or the dealer. If your system is sorta working now, press the switch once and this should turn the system off. Press once and the system should come back on. If the system is turned on it will beep once to arm and twice to disarm with a remote. If the system is off it will beep three times when you go to lock and three times to unlock with a remote. I suggest you get a remote and program the system to work with the new remote. Take care, BOBB
Old 09-17-2005, 08:22 AM

Registered SVX
Soo if I remove my glove box and find the module there is a fuse in it? Hummm could this have blown when I charged my battery? Everything was fine untill I left a door open one night and I killed my battery. The next morning I hooked up a battery charger and from that day on no keless entry or alarm . I have been asking this question: Is there another fuse ? I never got an answer till now. Could I have blown the fuse ?
Old 09-17-2005, 09:36 AM
Old Fogey

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Conn SVX
Soo if I remove my glove box and find the module there is a fuse in it? Hummm could this have blown when I charged my battery? Everything was fine untill I left a door open one night and I killed my battery. The next morning I hooked up a battery charger and from that day on no keless entry or alarm . I have been asking this question: Is there another fuse ? I never got an answer till now. Could I have blown the fuse ?
It's possible, but from my own experience and what I've read it's common for the security mod to "expire" at some point after being depowered. The same thing happened to mine following major service. Good luck with it too! I purchased a new module at subaruparts.com, didn't work either, and another replacement shipped from them also left me without alarm and auto-locking. None of the three modules will even go into program mode. Thinking about going with a non-factory set-up.

Glenn

Old 09-17-2005, 05:59 PM
Super Moderator
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX Classic SVX
The red LED for the Security "ON" (blinking) is 83426PA040 and goes for $7.58 at subaruparts.com. The bulb that lights up the word SECURITY (illumination) when lights are on is 83426PA020.

The list of all bulbs found in the SVX can be found in the electrical folder of the How-to documents,
http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/files/How-To/25378.pdf

1996 Polo Green LSi #216..138,100 miles...SOLD

JFICX8659TH100216.....Date of Manufacture: November 16, 1995.....
Fuji Heavy Industries..Ōta North Plant....Ōta City,. Gunma Prefecture, Japan

In-Service Date: January 2, 1997

"The Pristine Green Polo Machine”
First Polo Green on the Network
First Clear front turn signals, JDM Alcyone hood emblem, rear panel, and BOXER engine cover on the Network (US) (2000)
First 5000K HID factory fog lights (2007)
First SVX JDM BBS wheels on a USDM SVX (2013)

HID lighting (5000K) for headlight and H3 fog lights, PIAA SuperExtreme 120W high beams, rebuilt EG33 longblock, Cometic head gaskets, Phase II flexplate, AMR aluminum radiator with custom silicone hoses, 160A high-output alternator in aluminum-ceramic coated case, new design alternator wiring upgrade v.4, rare factory headlight protectors, refinished JDM BBS mesh aluminum wheels and custom, polished billet aluminum new hex center caps, LED grille mod, R1 Concepts high-carbon cryo slotted rotors, Akebono ceramic pads, Goodridge S/S braided brake lines, Smallcar Stage 1 shift kit, ThermalTech aluminum/ceramic-coated valve covers, Energy Suspension urethane front & rear swaybar bushings, Bontrager22 rear swaybar with QS Components Chromoly Teflon/Kevlar endlinks, "$15.00/5 minute" suspension mod. Hella Supertone horns, Custom stainless steel exhaust system with 2" headpipes, Magnaflow cats, AeroTurbine AR25 resonator /AWD "Bullet" muffler.

R.I.P. 2010 Subaru Outback Limited 2.5 CVT...338,000 miles. Totaled by a 1,300 lb. COW March 4, 2016

2014 Hyundai Avante Limited ...178,000 miles. Actually quieter and smoother than the Outback

2007 Mazda Miata MX-5 PRHT...102,000 miles.
Plenty of parts, service and windshields.

4th Registered Network member —2/21/2001

My NEW locker..I...My Email..I..Wikipedia/SVX .

Last edited by svxcess; 09-18-2005 at 03:53 PM.
Old 09-17-2005, 10:37 PM

Send a message via AIM to kuoh
The red security on/off indicator is an LED, not a bulb with a red covering. The lock-unlock-lock cycle is the normal passive arming behavior when not activated by using the key. The manual is correct that it will not "auto lock" the doors when you don't have the remote, YOU are locking the doors before you close them. Also it will only beep the horn when you use the remote, not when passively armed. The outer smaller outer dial is the shock sensor adjustment screw, turn clockwise for more sensitivity. The larger inner dial is the fuse holder.

KuoH
Old 09-18-2005, 02:05 AM
Banned
Subaru Gold Contributor

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuoh
The red security on/off indicator is an LED, not a bulb with a red covering. The lock-unlock-lock cycle is the normal passive arming behavior when not activated by using the key. The manual is correct that it will not "auto lock" the doors when you don't have the remote, YOU are locking the doors before you close them. Also it will only beep the horn when you use the remote, not when passively armed. The outer smaller outer dial is the shock sensor adjustment screw, turn clockwise for more sensitivity. The larger inner dial is the fuse holder.

KuoH

thanks alot! that's alot of help. i'll adjust the shock sensor tomorrow and get a new led at the electronics store. i'll let you all know how it goes. Jason