Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: What do you use most when changing lanes?
Corner Mirrors 4 5.71%
Rearview mirror 3 4.29%
Look over shoulder 9 12.86%
all of the above 54 77.14%
Voters: 70. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-11-2005, 09:39 PM

Good stuff, who's the ex-cop here?
1993 SVX Anniversary Edition #64
Old 06-12-2005, 12:29 AM
One teal and One yellow

I voted "all of the above"

Usually, I can just constantly feel what is going on around my car.

When switching lanes very fast in the heavy traffics, I will look over my shoulder to make sure. When driving slowly or on highway with light traffics, I will trust myself on the rearview and side mirrors.

I drive my car with the concept of how I ride my bike/scooter. I used to ride my bike in my country in a big city. Always traffic jams. Always switching lanes or in between two cars or trucks. I drive my car just like.....I'm at bike and I don't like anyone touching my ass or anything when I change my direction.

92 LS-L TEAL since Aug '01
92 LS-L YELLOW since Mar '05
Old 06-12-2005, 06:39 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to CigarJohnny
I voted for side mirrors. In reality I use "all of the above" but technically, since I start with the side mirrors and end with the side mirrors, I use them more than the rest when changing lanes. You did use the keyword "most" in your question so I voted for the one that most people likely use but did not select.

Johnny

Ebony Mica '92 LS 80K Oct 2002 - Dec 2004: Victim of theft. She served me well.

You can tell the lack of craftsmanship by the wrinkles in the duct tape.

Last edited by CigarJohnny; 06-12-2005 at 06:47 AM.
Old 06-12-2005, 07:09 AM
Word to Yo Motha

Send a message via AIM to SVXer95
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jnthn_Sctt
It is very tempting to say, "If you drive fast enough, you won't need the rear view mirrors."
Reminds me of Gumball Rally when thr guy pulls the rear view off of the Ferrari.

1995 L AWD
Locker

1987 Porsche 944 turbo
80k miles. MBC + Chips. Relatively Stock
Old 06-16-2005, 11:04 AM
Making tires round, Six now :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earthworm
I actually find that my passenger side mirror can't adjust as far out as I'd like

I had that problem with my mirrors and they are often out of adjustment after a car wash. I found that I can push on the side edge of the mirror and it will snap into another position.
Old 06-16-2005, 11:14 AM
Making tires round, Six now :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RojoRocket
..........First, assume your driving position and adjust the center mirror to your liking.
Second, adjust the outside mirrors so that, instead of seeing the rear corners of your car (as most of us learned), the inside boundaries of coverage on both mirrors pick up where your view out the center one ends. When adjusted correctly this gives you much wider coverage and eliminates most of your blind spots. ................
Glenn
I use this method also. I set the driver mirror by leaning my head to the left and then setting the mirror so I can see the edge of the car. Then lean to the right and adjust the mirror so that I see the right edge of the car.

After the adjustment, when I sit up straight, the mirrors show the center of adjacents lanes at the rear bumper.

Then I discovered that by leaning my head to the left or right or forwards I was able to look in any of the mirrors and see many more locations around the car. This eliminated all blind spots around the car with a little head movement.

It's the only way I can commute.
Traffic is crazy in NJ.
Old 06-17-2005, 01:41 PM

Send a message via ICQ to mudfoot76
[QUOTE=Jnthn_Sctt]
However, since you have the good sense to ask first, keep in mind that, EVERY OTHER DRIVER ON THE ROAD IS AN IDIOT AND DOESN'T KNOW HOW TO DRIVE. It's not actually true, but if you act like it is, it will keep you prepared for things that might pop up, as has been mentioned previously.

[QUOTE]

This is good advice and can keep you out of much trouble. In a more "politically correct" fashion, think of it in a manner that many motorcycle riders use -- when riding alway assume that the other person doesn't see you or even know you are there. It might sound paranoid, but it will save you. On a recent road trip, I was nearly sideswiped off an interstate while in the left lane, travelling at speed in a line of 6 or 7 other cars. Some lady was putting make up (no joke -- applying lipstick), decides to start passing everyone on the right. Middle lane traffic was much slower, and she decides to merge left again, into the space that I was occupying at the time. I had seen her jump out of line in my rearview, and watched as she started to zoom up. I suspected she'd try to get back in the line, or maybe just do the smart thing and slow down again. But, in this case she was a moron and moved into my space. Had I not been paying attention, her side mirror would have smashed into my passenger side front fender right above the tire (on my MINI) and sent me into the wall in the middle. However I was paying attention, and as soon as it looked like she was merging, I stepped on the brakes, then hit the horn and highbeams, as well as let a string of expletives rip (words that start with an "f" and "c" were the most popular)...

So always pay attention. If I see you eating Lo Mein w/chopsticks while behind the wheel, I'll stop you and thump you on the skull with a tackhammer
2005 Mini Cooper S
Sold: 1994 LS-L Laguna Blue [to sxewhodey]
Old 06-18-2005, 07:29 PM

Registered SVX
I ride a Motorcycle actualy its a TRIKE . When I am ridding it or my car I don't drive MY Car/Trike I drive the other guys car. Act like you are not there. Watch them .I learned the adjust the mirror trick that was explained earlier at the Skip Barber school of driving at Lime Rock race track. He said you adjust the mirrors so it just misses seeing the rear fender (If you look out and see any part of the rear of your car you should move the mirror out farther.) his little joke was why do u want to see the rear of your car it doesn't move it is always in the same spot <LOL>
Old 06-18-2005, 08:02 PM
Takin tools to task

Send a message via MSN to NikFu S.
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Luciano
his little joke was why do u want to see the rear of your car it doesn't move it is always in the same spot <LOL>
I for one keep my mirrors like that so I can back into parking spots.
Really it depends on your style of driving but I can swerve my had and neck side to side faster than I can adjust the mirrors.

'92 Dark Teal SVX LS-L, >146,000m
3 pedals, 5 speeds., restoration underway.
2012 Honda Insight, slow but cute.
Old 06-27-2005, 03:12 AM
After 200, it's all the same.

This is where my advice will hinder all intentions of helping our resident young one drive a little more safely.

What's this traffic you all speak of? I just mash the big vertical pedal and go.

I am always checking the congestion around me. As far as changing lanes goes, I use every precaution that I can.

Keith

1992 Pearly 187K and climbing (11-91) #964 *retired

1992 Pearl SVX 122500 miles #86 FASTAR THAN THE OLD ONE.*SOLD

Everytime I get into my car, it always reminds me that it has POWER
Old 06-28-2005, 06:27 PM

Registered SVX
Talking keep track of all of um

You must know where every one is behind you...constantly check all rear view mirrors..the worst driver is the one that matches your speed on your left and becomes a phantom....It's like radar,,,,keep track of all the cars around you, don't lose track of any car that can move into a position that can surprise you.
This basically is about aggressive driving..speed is not always bad.
Old 06-28-2005, 07:18 PM
Invisible avatar
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Ron Mummert Send a message via Yahoo to Ron Mummert
One more......NEVER tailgate. Even if some dork whips in between you & the car in front of you, back off. Try to concentrate on what the cars are doing AHEAD of the car in front of you. A brake light several cars ahead tells me to take the foot off the gas, & tune in to what's happening.

No accidents in 48 years of driving (unless you count that silly incident in Germany in '66 between my Fiat 850 & a very big truck - I was testing the effects of massive quantities of alcohol & coordination at the time).

Ron.

'92 stock semi-pristine ebony - 160K
'96 Grand Caravan - 240K
'01 Miata SE - 79K
'07 Chrysler Pacifica - 60k - future money pit.
Old 06-28-2005, 07:39 PM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Mummert
One more......NEVER tailgate. Even if some dork whips in between you & the car in front of you, back off. Try to concentrate on what the cars are doing AHEAD of the car in front of you. A brake light several cars ahead tells me to take the foot off the gas, & tune in to what's happening.

No accidents in 48 years of driving (unless you count that silly incident in Germany in '66 between my Fiat 850 & a very big truck - I was testing the effects of massive quantities of alcohol & coordination at the time).

Ron.
Did this happen on an autoban??? I remember in 67,68, tooling along at 80 mph and a Mercedes or Porche or BMW would flash high beams...better get over...they were doing 100+
Old 06-28-2005, 07:58 PM
Invisible avatar
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Ron Mummert Send a message via Yahoo to Ron Mummert
[QUOTE=dromano] Did this happen on an autoban???

No - Inside the city limits of a town called Helmstedt....in the snow doing 25 mph when I hit the brakes....head-on into said truck.
One broken arm - one very totalled Fiat.

Ron.

'92 stock semi-pristine ebony - 160K
'96 Grand Caravan - 240K
'01 Miata SE - 79K
'07 Chrysler Pacifica - 60k - future money pit.