How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 04-05-2005, 12:44 AM

Send a message via AIM to sharky512345
Sunroof will not shut some of the time.

Hi, I know this has been done before and i'm sorry for starting another thread but I've searched and found a couple different things on sticking sunroofs but just wanted some more opinions.

Okay, I can open my sunroof fine, it goes back all the way without any trouble and does not get stuck when I am opening (i don't need to push up or anything). But when i go to try and close it it goes all the way back to where it is about to fall down to lay flush with the rest of the roof and just stops and feels like it is getting stuck on something or the motor isn't strong enough to get past something that may be in the track (dirt, grime, etc...).

Sometimes the sunroof will shut all by itself without any problems at all, but this problem has been happening more and more often lately. I can shut the sunroof if i pull over, get out of the car, push the back of the sunroof forward while holding the button and that shuts it well and it pops right into place just as it should.

I have had this car since december 2004 and the first time it started sticking was maybe one or 2 weeks ago.

I should have said that I have already tried cleaning out the sunroof already last thursday, and that helped a little bit for that day (i was able to open and shut the roof a couple times in the driveway before i went inside). And now it's back to sticking and not shutting. I cleaned all the green slimey stuff that was caked onto the metal tracks of the roof pretty good and lubed it up with silicone spray like the other threads said that i should. Oh, and I also checked the clutch bolt thing and that was right on, it stopped spinning at the exact time the sunroof was fully opened or fully shut.

So right now I don't really know how else to clean it. I'm pretty sure it wouldn't be the roof motor cause it probably would have trouble opening or open noticible slower if that were the case, so i ruled out that option. The only thing I can think of is that either the track is so filled with crap (expecially concentrated in that one spot right before closed) that the roof won't close without help, or that something maybe got stuck in the track (not really thinking this as much).

Basically what my question boils down to is how can i clean the sunroof tracks better? I was out there getting gunk out of it for a good 30-60 minutes and it didn't seem to help at all. Any chemical in particular that i should use and any method or tool i should use to make it easier?

P.S. sorry about the long, droning, repetitive post
Old 04-05-2005, 12:51 AM
Green1995SVX

Just give it a nudge. Mine does it sometimes too.
Old 04-05-2005, 05:13 AM
Takin tools to task

Send a message via MSN to NikFu S.
Registered SVX
Two days ago I noticed my windows and sunroof would not operate when the dash stop lamp was illuminated, and only during that time. I have yet to find out why it randomly does this.

'92 Dark Teal SVX LS-L, >146,000m
3 pedals, 5 speeds., restoration underway.
2012 Honda Insight, slow but cute.
Old 04-05-2005, 06:09 AM
What Potholes ???
Subaru Bronze Contributor

Registered SVX
If you push up on it lightly towards the back while it closing that should do the trick. Did you try spray lithium grease? That gets in the nooks & crannys.

92 Pearl White Ls-l (138k) Euro Headlights & Blinkers, 97 Grill, Euro Tail Lights, SS Brake Lines, Stebro Exhaust, Slotted Rotors, Classic Registration
96 Legacy Outback (206k) 5-speed 2.2 Lightweight Crank Pulley, Group N Trans & Motor Mounts SOLD
Wanted: Steering Wheel
Old 04-05-2005, 10:28 AM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
I'm betting the motor has at least something to do with it. I'm sure they are similar to the motors for our windows and/or seats. They get weak over time.

Insurance replaced the motor for my driver door window and now I swear it's twice as fast as the passenger door window.
Old 04-05-2005, 03:37 PM

okay so today it closed by itself on the first try (and second and third and forth... ) when it sticks again i'll try pushing up gently at the back so i won't have to get out of the car.

I will try the lithium grease method after I get some. So I just put the lithium grease in both of the tracks in the sunroof, the little one and the big one, for both sides, right?
Old 04-05-2005, 08:04 PM
Not as old as Randy

Significant Technical Input
Lithium would be good on the cables themselves, they are inside the rear portions of the track and inside the tubes. The guides/tracks themselves are smooth aluminum with hard plastic (delrin?) glides. They shouldn't require any lube but if you're adamant about trying something I would suggest some type of graphite lube, such as bicycle chain lube. Grease attracts and holds dirt and grime, graphite is dry and doesn't do that. Check with your local bike shop.

Last edited by Beav; 04-05-2005 at 08:06 PM.
Old 04-06-2005, 12:41 AM
Green1995SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikFu S.
Two days ago I noticed my windows and sunroof would not operate when the dash stop lamp was illuminated, and only during that time. I have yet to find out why it randomly does this.
There is a relay/breaker set under the drivers seat that is on the same circuit as the sunroof, windows, and power seat. I would bet your seat wasnt working at the time either. Replace the breaker/relay and you wont have a problem again.

Mike
Old 04-06-2005, 04:58 PM
Takin tools to task

Send a message via MSN to NikFu S.
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Green1995SVX
There is a relay/breaker set under the drivers seat that is on the same circuit as the sunroof, windows, and power seat. I would bet your seat wasnt working at the time either. Replace the breaker/relay and you wont have a problem again.

Mike
Mine was corroded from water and I had it serviced and cleaned mid last year. It could be wearing out but I don't see the correlation with the brake lamp.

'92 Dark Teal SVX LS-L, >146,000m
3 pedals, 5 speeds., restoration underway.
2012 Honda Insight, slow but cute.
Old 04-13-2005, 12:40 AM
magickfingers

Hey Sharky - I had a very similar problem just yesterday and accidentally discovered that if i just push the 'close' button a second time right when the sunroof sticks, it closes smooth as silk. Hope this helps.
Old 04-13-2005, 01:39 AM

I have the same problem with mine, but have yet to try and fix it. I figure when I get the time I'll give the tracks a through cleaning, and use lithium grease on the cables and tracks.

MF- iirc the second push of the button is the way it functions, in other words, you have to push it twice to close it all the way.
Old 04-13-2005, 01:02 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
Mine's messed up. I need to only press the button once to close it but twice to open it.
Old 04-13-2005, 03:40 PM

mine has only been doing this when it is less than 50 degrees outside so as long as it doesn't get worse i should be fine. and if it does get worse i'll get some lithium grease for it.
Old 04-13-2005, 03:48 PM

Registered SVX
Mine wont pop up by itself
Old 04-13-2005, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earthworm
Mine's messed up. I need to only press the button once to close it but twice to open it.
Might be that is what I was thinking of, cause I don't use the sunroof much as it's a PITA to close right now