How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 09-27-2004, 05:19 PM
wantansvx2225

buying a used svx...issues, should i?

hi everyone, i was looking for a new car and i fell in love with the subaru svx....hence i found ur site, as they are very hard to find!! well i did find one, its a 92 lsi and its 4k, but i can get it for 2k because of some problems (see below) and the pics i saw looked good, as far as paint and rust...but there are some issues with it and i wanted to know if its worth it...or if the problems are indicative of a lemon...

needs a radiator.
just had transmission linkage fixed (cost 500) but could that mean the tranny is about to go too? i know they have issues with overheating, is the linkage issue indicative of the transmission dying soon?
has bad neutral safety switch.
recently fixed bearings.

these are the major problems listed, i would have to fix the radiator the day i buy it so i can drive it back home 300 miles, but the owner said they will have it towed to a place nearby for me to get it fixed. the owner does not know if the auxiliary cooler has been installed at all, but i heard that the new radiators for them will have the new cooler (is this true?). now, i really really want this car to work on as my hobby over time, but do you know if this will end up as a major money pit? it has 110k on it. basically, my main concern is the transmission...if i buy it and it dies, i am screwed, because i cannot afford to fix it.
thanks for any input!
Old 09-27-2004, 06:37 PM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
If all else is ok then 2k is good - if you do buy it just go into the deal with the thought in mind that you will spend 2500 for a tranny and radiator.

I would not buy an svx without test driving it thoroughly. Power steering, oil leaks, brakes, bearings, they all will add up quickly if you arent careful.
92 Ebony LS-L ECUtune Stage2av1, Z32 MAF, 370cc injectors, TomsSVX intake, BontragerWorks 22mm RSB #003, HID Hi and Lo beams, OT endlink and bushing mods, PWR Aluminum radiator, Harvey's QC shift kit, 2.5" flowmaster 80 exhaust, 17" Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, Poly sway bar bushings, Slotted Bradi rotors, AFBeefcake powdercoated calipers, 97 grill, and a huge set of air horns. 300,000 miles and counting
92 Ebony LS-L. ecutune stage1v4, motorsport 1pc pulley. Garage Queen - sold to Dad in upstate NY 155,000 miles
19 Subaru Ascent Premium - -Hers !.
89 DL 4x4 little red wagon - a.k.a. The immortal suby. 275k R.I.P.
Old 09-28-2004, 11:11 AM

Make sure the suspension is OK, too. At 100k miles, my rear springs are starting to go and its only a matter of time before i have to replace them.

1996 Subaru SVX LSi (Red)
2019 Subaru WRX LTD