Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 02-20-2004, 12:57 AM

Level 10

Looking for some input/feedback from 'those who know'!
Tranny time for me. I'm staying w/the lovely 4eat I've decided. Same question as we all have at this point. What to do? Subaru rebuilt, good(?) used,...
Actually seriously thinking about Level 10 for a couple of options.
Probably do a 'good' used for now, but thinking of rebuilding my current 4eat at my leisure after I R&R a 'good' used one.
First Q, has anybody here done their own rebuild?
Second Q, who is 'our' contact @ Level 10?
Third Q, what is the experience so far, and mileage currently, of a Level 10 rebuilt trans? Do they REALLY build a 'bullit-proof' trans?
I've read posts here & @ the Yahoo board, but just trying to get some current info on trans. that are currently being driven.
I think it would be valuable info for us all, since it seems we are all most likely to sometime need to do a tranny!
As always...thanks to everyone for the incredible support available here on 'the network',
mile-hi-bri
Old 02-20-2004, 06:27 AM
From POST-***** to LURKER

Can't really answer your questions all that great because I chose to go 5 MT instead of an Auto... However I'm sure that they can build a great tranny for the SVX.... That's all I've ever heard about them... if you want your SVX to be faster, look indo getting your final drive swapped out for 4.11's while you are in there (If you take it to them)... Good luck with your quest though

** SOLD **1998 Subaru Legacy 2.5GT Wagon - MOST RELIABLE car I've ever owned
** SOLD **2006Subaru WRXSTi (Former "Boxer4Racing.com / Continential Tire" STi) - Built EJ22t block / EJ207 JDM STi "big port heads" - 9,000rpm MONEY PIT!!!
** SOLD ** 1995 "Tree-Hugger Green" SVX L AWD(5 MT) --- "Gumby" 130K miles #399 in MY95, my original love...
Old 02-20-2004, 06:50 PM
nnjsvx

Suggest you do a word search under "Transmission" limited to titles and you will find a 1/29/04 post with several replies aboput Level 10. One is mine of a bad experience back in 97. There are others good and bad of more recent history.

One biggy is no warranty of any kind from them.

These trans are a bit different and playing with them to boost shift performance or anything else challenges the design capability which we all know is suspect already.

My understanding then and appears to be mow as well is that he does not use any different parts from Subaru and just modifies them for more fluid flow and extends gear windout to a snappier shift if you want that.

Sounds like you know something about transmissions as you are thinking about rebuilding one youself. I suspect you know what questions to ask Level 10 to determine exactly what they woul;d do and using what.

I would be interested in your views if wil do this or have done so already. I am liley to go the dealer route when the time comes.

Just got mine back today after 2 knock sensors were replaved and rear end solonoid valve and new housing extension. 7 hrs labor on each plus $700 in parts.

The mechanic there just bought a 92 at dealer auction and had to get a new trans to his surprise after 3 weeks of driving. He did the work himslf but the parts ran him $3,000.
Old 02-20-2004, 08:15 PM

Here is a link to a thread about someone whoe rebuilt their own transmission. He hasn't been on the board in a while, but you might want to email him if you have questions, hey it's worth a shot, he might respond. Good luck

http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/show...rque+converter