Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-30-2004, 02:34 PM
Fitz

Front Hub Assemblies/Bearings

Hoping to tap some of the knowledge on this board dealing with AWD SVX front hub assemblies. For a multitude of reasons, I'm looking to swap out my front 2.5 RS hub assemblies and run a set of the SVX hub assemblies. Although Impreza parts can be hard to find, I'm sure you all know that SVX parts are next to impossible; especially in stock. I'm hoping to acquire some dimensions off of the SVX hub assemblies; bearing ID, bearing OD, bearing thickness, location of bearing mounting surface on the hub, spline count, etc....

Any information would be greatly appreciated. Additionally, if anyone has a set of used AWD SVX front bearings sitting around collecting dust, or even better, the AWD hub itself, I would be interested in purchasing or acquiring dimensions.

Thank-you for your time,
Fitz

www.Flat4Racing.com
Old 01-30-2004, 07:30 PM
Making tires round, Six now :)

Yup. I got some extra AWD front hub assemblies sitting around here somewhere. Does the SVX have larger brakes than the 2.5RS?
Old 01-30-2004, 08:08 PM
Fitz

Quote:
Yup. I got some extra AWD front hub assemblies sitting around here somewhere
Would you be willing to sell them? Or at the very least let me borrow them for about 7-10 days? I'm still not sure this is going to work and all the boneyards up here want insane money for me to test out a theory.

Quote:
Does the SVX have larger brakes than the 2.5RS?
I'm not sure at this stage. None of the dealerships around here stock any SVX stuff. I was able to find some rotor dimensions online on this forum earlier today, but have not compared them to my current setup (4-pots). That's on Sunday's agenda. Brakes are a small worry for me as purchasing a quality set of 2 piece rotors is only $90 per side fabricated to fit. I'm more concerned with spline count, bearing ID, OD, mounting location, etc. All of those are things that define whether this will work or not.

Last year I flared the RS 2.5 inches on all sides. This allows me to run a 275 series tire in the fenderwell on a 9 inch wide rim. Problem is, trying to find a 9 inch wide rim with a 5x100 bolt pattern is incredibly difficult and costly. 5x114.3 however, is much more common.

Thanks,
Fitz

www.Flat4Racing.com
Old 01-31-2004, 06:54 AM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Welcome to the svx network, Fitz. Why not just scrap the turbo RS altogether and do the one lap in an svx next year. We could use someone with your knwledge and drive on our side.
J/K
I'm just happy to see someone with a nasioc member # lower than mine has come to the network. I'm sure more than a few people will have spare parts for such a cool project.

Guys, if you haven't yet, visit his website and check out the acheivements. Very cool. I hope Harry catches up with him soon.
92 Ebony LS-L ECUtune Stage2av1, Z32 MAF, 370cc injectors, TomsSVX intake, BontragerWorks 22mm RSB #003, HID Hi and Lo beams, OT endlink and bushing mods, PWR Aluminum radiator, Harvey's QC shift kit, 2.5" flowmaster 80 exhaust, 17" Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, Poly sway bar bushings, Slotted Bradi rotors, AFBeefcake powdercoated calipers, 97 grill, and a huge set of air horns. 300,000 miles and counting
92 Ebony LS-L. ecutune stage1v4, motorsport 1pc pulley. Garage Queen - sold to Dad in upstate NY 155,000 miles
19 Subaru Ascent Premium - -Hers !.
89 DL 4x4 little red wagon - a.k.a. The immortal suby. 275k R.I.P.
Old 01-31-2004, 06:57 AM
Yeah, I'm still around

Quote:
Originally posted by svx_commuter
Does the SVX have larger brakes than the 2.5RS?
Yes, John the SVX brakes are much larger than the USDM 2.5 RS and USDM 2 piston WRX brakes. The flange mounts are the same, but the rotors have a different "hat" height, so interchanging them requires some mix-and-match skills.

Todd
Old 01-31-2004, 07:27 AM
Fitz

Quote:
Welcome to the svx network, Fitz. Why not just scrap the turbo RS altogether and do the one lap in an svx next year. We could use someone with your knwledge and drive on our side.
*Grins* I looked into the SVX's prior to purchasing the RS back in 2000. While I loved the way they cruised on the highway, as well as the "less than cheesy" feel of the interior when compared to the RS, I felt that the car was extremely heavy. Throw a 5-speed on one and you have yourself one hell of a dily driver though.

Unfortunately with the SVX being classed in mid-priced sedan, the EVO's, STi's and various V8 Volvo's make competition challenging. With the debut of the STi however, the RS was bumped down into economoy. Civics, base model neons, older SER's, older MR2's. Still plenty challenging, but more on par for a measly 300+hp turbocharged RS on 11 inches of rubber on each corner.

Thanks for the props on the site by the way. I couldn't have done 90% of what I have without the help of the people in NESIC, Charlie North, Subaru of Milford, etc.....

Fitz

www.Flat4Racing.com
Old 01-31-2004, 08:45 AM
BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOST

Send a message via AIM to Phast SVX
Fitz,
I currently have a 04 forrestoer 5spd swap with 4.11's. and had the ACT xtreme clutch kit And with 4 bottles of NO2 it fried and now i will be putting in a RPS 405 ft/lb clutch. I had trouble finding a clutch for the non turbo tranny that could hold 330+ horse and im hoping that this clutch will do the job. Do you have any experience/knowledge with it and if not do you have a preffered clutch ?
thanks
phil
Old 01-31-2004, 09:39 AM
Fitz

Quote:
Do you have any experience/knowledge with it and if not do you have a preffered clutch ?
To be honest, my trans is the weak link in the system. The trans came out of a MY98 RS and has a Cusco lsd up front. The gear set/synchro's are all original (knock on wood).

The Cusco lsd and the wider rubber provide so much traction, that I want the clutch to slip should I do something overtly foolish. I'm running an ACT Heavy Duty Pressure Plate and a street disc. So far this setup has allowed me to launch the car between 4500 and 5000 rpm quite aggresively; spinning a number of tires and getting the rear 265/45/16 Victoracers to step out at Mt. Ascutney this past year. The clutch does slip on launches such as this, but it is not excessive and fully grabs well before I shift to second gear. It does not slip in any other gears.

In other vehicles (all domestic V8's shoehorned into places they didn't belong) I've had great experience with the Centerforce Dual Friction clutches. I'm not sure if they make one for that transmission however.

Let me know what you end up going with as I am curious.

Thanks,
Fitz

www.Flat4Racing.com
Old 01-31-2004, 11:02 AM
BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOST

Quote:
Originally posted by Fitz

To be honest, my trans is the weak link in the system. The trans came out of a MY98 RS and has a Cusco lsd up front. The gear set/synchro's are all original (knock on wood).

The Cusco lsd and the wider rubber provide so much traction, that I want the clutch to slip should I do something overtly foolish. I'm running an ACT Heavy Duty Pressure Plate and a street disc. So far this setup has allowed me to launch the car between 4500 and 5000 rpm quite aggresively; spinning a number of tires and getting the rear 265/45/16 Victoracers to step out at Mt. Ascutney this past year. The clutch does slip on launches such as this, but it is not excessive and fully grabs well before I shift to second gear. It does not slip in any other gears.

In other vehicles (all domestic V8's shoehorned into places they didn't belong) I've had great experience with the Centerforce Dual Friction clutches. I'm not sure if they make one for that transmission however.

Let me know what you end up going with as I am curious.

Thanks,
Fitz

www.Flat4Racing.com

That is the same clutch i just burned. MY problem was that i create ALOT of tq and at low rpms, and even though ACT claims their clutch holds "around 320 hp) their tq holding capacity is around 275 ft/lbs. Who knows! I will be putting the RPS clutch in with the new engine in april, will certainly let you know how it goes!.
Good luck with the hub swap, it sounds like a solid plan. But beware of the SVX bearing gremlin!!!!
phil
Old 01-31-2004, 11:10 AM
BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOST

http://www.flat4racing.com/images/londonderry2.JPG All i can say is 22B!@#@!#!@#@!#!@#@!#!@#@!# that looks like a TON of work,but it really looks bad ass, do you have any other pics of it?
Old 01-31-2004, 03:18 PM

[[QUOTE]Originally posted by Fitz

Would you be willing to sell them? Or at the very least let me borrow them for about 7-10 days? I'm still not sure this is going to work and all the boneyards up here want insane money for me to test out a theory.

I might let you borrow a side. How far are you from Killington? I go up there once a month or so. Would you like to borrow a used SVX axle also?
Old 01-31-2004, 03:57 PM
Fitz

I'm just under 3 hours south of Killington. If that's easier for you, let me know when and I'll meet up. Another option is to ship them to me. I'll pay you for shipping, and then ship them back to you.

Let me know what's easier.

I really appreciate this.

Thanks,
Fitz
Old 02-01-2004, 09:13 AM
Multiple Suby Owner

Quote:
Originally posted by immortal_suby
I'm just happy to see someone with a nasioc member # lower than mine has come to the network.
What about me? My member # is 174. I signed up with a different name after I could not remember my password, but have since found it.
Old 02-02-2004, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Fitz
I'm just under 3 hours south of Killington. If that's easier for you, let me know when and I'll meet up. Another option is to ship them to me. I'll pay you for shipping, and then ship them back to you.

Let me know what's easier.

I really appreciate this.

Thanks,
Fitz
Do you want a used strut too?
Old 02-02-2004, 11:10 AM
Fitz

Quote:
Do you want a used strut too?
No thank-you. I know the knuckle attachment points are relatively different. Swapping the whole knuckle in would be an experiment in creative fabrication. That being said, I shouldn't need the strut. Just the knuckles; one from the front; one from the back and the front shaft if it's convenient for you.

Let me know if you want cash (paypal, perconal check, etc.. ) ahead of time to cover shipping.

Again, this is much appreciated.

Thanks,
Fitz

www.Flat4Racing.com