Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 04-06-2004, 02:52 PM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Re: ECU-Frequent Failures

Quote:
Originally posted by subavexed
Huzzah (I hope)! I have just returned from AutoZone where they successfully accessed the ECU and pulled the code P0302 - "cylinder 2 misfire detected." They also cleared the CE light but advised that it might return. They said it is probably the sparkplug coil or boot.

Next step - back to the dealer (they replaced the plugs about 1600 miles ago).

Thank you, thank you, thank you!
Excellent! Very well could be a coil pack -- cheaper than an ECU, I'll grant you.

Or, just the boot -- but, since they don't sell them separately, they'll just have to put another whole coil on it.

And, tell your dealership to have their Select Monitor checked out. It's possibly on the fritz!

BEST OF LUCK!
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI
Old 04-06-2004, 07:50 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Light

Hi Vexed, Although it sounds like you have found your problem, everyone always looks at the hot side. Make sure you have a good ground. Rust and corrosion will give weird results without telling you whats going on. Take care, BOBB
Old 04-18-2004, 02:40 PM
subavexed

ECU-Frequent Failures

The latest, for what it's worth:

The dealer acknowledged that perhaps his SVX scanner cartridge was faulty. They tried a Jaguar (another car they service and sell) scanner and did access the computer (finally!) but found no trouble code. They claimed to have checked cylinder #2 (per the Autozone scanner) but found no problem. And the CE light is still out. However, the slightly rough idle persists, soooooooo ....... I intend to add Techron to the next tank of gas on the theory that possibly the injector(s) are a little dirty. If anyone knows if this will cause any harm, please let me know. Thanks to all of you for your input!

PS. They also said that Subaru "central" might finally be getting curious - they have recently asked the dealer for data regarding the last 3 repairs. Supposedly, they have never told the dealer what they have found wrong with the returned ECUs (assuming they made the attempt).
Old 04-18-2004, 02:57 PM
subavexed

ECU-Frequent Failures

Bobb,

The ground connection at the battery looks good; however, I cannot readily see where or to what it connects. Any suggestions?
Old 04-18-2004, 03:52 PM
Porter

If the ECU is detecting misfire at cylinder #2, this could be a result of an ignition problem as others have said. The way to know for sure is to replace the spark plug AND THE COIL at cylinder #2.

Additionally, it could be a result of a fueling issue at that cylinder, or any of a list of other reasons.

And as BOBB said, your ECU failures could certainly be the result of a grounding problem. The primary ground by the battery is one to check certainly, but there are many other grounds throughout the wiring harness which are critical to the proper operation of the vehicle and the health of its various electronic components. All of these grounds should be disconnected, cleaned, and refit to ensure proper grounding at each point. Even a properly connected ground can develop oxidation that leads to ground lift and thus problems that are VERY difficult to diagnose.

The "grounding mod" that many here have ridiculed as hogwash is quite effective in older vehicles for this very reason.
Old 04-18-2004, 09:38 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Ground

Hi Vexed, Sorry I didn't get back to you till now as my wife and I just got back from the Reading meet. What Porter told you is the way to go. Follow the grounds starting at the battery and working your way out. Most grounds are just the wire and a sheet metal screw into the unit body of the car. Some times the screw is very hard to remove because of corrosion etc. in those cases I would replace the screw and clean up the groung wire connector with a fine grit sand paper and re=tighten. Remember, what ever it is can't hide forever. Take care, BOBB
Old 04-19-2004, 07:08 PM
red95svx

Re: ECU-Frequent Failures

Quote:
Originally posted by subavexed
Supposedly, they have never told the dealer what they have found wrong with the returned ECUs (assuming they made the attempt).

SOA doesn't usually tell the dealer what they found wrong with warranty parts, if that makes you feel any better

Dave
Old 07-11-2004, 12:39 PM
subavexed

ECU - Frequent Failures

The latest-latest:

After a little over 200 miles (not driving it much at the time), the CE light reappeared. Using the Jaguar scanner module again, the dealer pulled the code to replace the EGR valve. After a delay waiting for the part, the job is done and the light is out for now. Prior to this, I used a bottle of Techron which seemed to improve but not eliminate the rough idle. Since the EGR replacement, the idle is 99% smooth (perhaps as good as ever - I have become so sensitive that I am instantly aware of the slightest skip!). I haven't yet attempted to trace the grounds but will at least try.

So ............ here's hoping! Thanks again to everyone for their help and support!
Old 07-13-2004, 03:10 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
Yay, always glad to hear of long term problems getting resolved!
Old 07-13-2004, 04:29 PM

I can't help that my intuition tells me that you have a faulty fuel injector ... (the voices tells me so )

All your problems summed up points me in that direction!

/Sonny

-92 ebony black with 170k KM

*** -Stress is when you wake up screaming & you realize you haven't fallen asleep yet. ***