Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 01-06-2004, 07:53 AM
likethecube

Question Power Steering Questions and More

Hello,

Hopefully someone who is much more an expert then myself can help with these questions. First, I seem to lose power steering (wheel becomes very tight when making a u-turn right after braking). This usually happens after the vehicle has been runnning for several minutes. Sometimes I can feel the wheel tightness just making a right turn as well. Aboyut 2 1/2 years ago I did the O-ring fix (steering was groaning loudly), but there is no groan sound now at all. Has the power steering pump gone bad, could it be the rack, or maybe just a leak in one the the high pressure lines?

Now for aother question. The led (light) no longer displays on the gear shifter at night. Has anyone encountered this problem before? Is there a bulb that must be replaced? If so, must it be bought from the dealer. Any ideas how to take the center console apart to get the the bulb?

And speaking of bulbs, which of the following dash buttons, etc should be lit?

mirror switch
open and close arrows on the sunroof controls
hazard flashers button

Any help or comments would be appreciated. Thank you
Old 01-06-2004, 12:16 PM
No longer blue member

Send a message via AIM to SubaSteevo
Re: Power Steering Questions and More

Quote:
Originally posted by likethecube
Hello,
Now for aother question. The led (light) no longer displays on the gear shifter at night. Has anyone encountered this problem before? Is there a bulb that must be replaced? If so, must it be bought from the dealer. Any ideas how to take the center console apart to get the the bulb?

And speaking of bulbs, which of the following dash buttons, etc should be lit?

mirror switch
open and close arrows on the sunroof controls
hazard flashers button

Any help or comments would be appreciated. Thank you
Not sure about the power steering, did you check for leaking fluid? How about the return hose near the back passenger side of the engine? Edit: You said right after braking, could your brakes be sticking? How about your ps belt? (looking for the cheap fixes first)

On the lights: On the shifter, if you are talking about the gear indicators they are just regular 194 bulbs and can be replaced. Mirror switch and hazard button should be lit up as well, I don't think the sunroof arrows do. Those are 194 bulbs as well. Seraph has a guide somewhere on how to replcae them.

Member #895(the member formerly known as BurgundyBeast)
01' MSM Lexus IS300

Last edited by SubaSteevo; 01-06-2004 at 12:18 PM.
Old 01-08-2004, 02:30 PM
likethecube

BurgundyBeast,

Thank you for the reply. I will try to replace the gear selector bulb by removing the center console and the hazard bulb as well. Someone else to me that the bulb in the mirror switch cannot be replaced so I will have to live with that one.

As for the power steering, there does appear to be a leak from one of the hoses. I will have to clean it off and then check again. Hopefully, it is just a hose leak cuz I know that PS pumps are expensive.

Thanks again

Art
Old 01-09-2004, 05:58 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
Here's my walkthrough for the shifter light:

http://dcss.dyn.dhs.org/svx_iw/how-t...ole_light.html