Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 12-17-2003, 08:25 PM
mtbikerco

painting questions

Hi,
Does anyone know the color code for the 1992 bergundy color. Also if anyone knows a good place to buy do it yourself touchup paint let me know. I am needing to touch up some spots on my car and paint a white passenger mirror back to stock color. Any suggestions would be a great help. I need to paint the hood as well but am thinking that will need to be done by the pros.

I've never painted a car at all, never cared enough, so if anyone has any information on what all i need to buy and how to do it that also would be greatly apprectiated.

Cheers,

Nick
Old 12-17-2003, 08:54 PM
boundsie

Your paint code should be printed on a plate on the top of your left front shock tower. Open the hood and check if it's there. I think the code for the "claret" is 265.
Old 12-17-2003, 08:57 PM
boundsie

Try paintscratch.com for touchup paint. Your local Suby dealer might have it also.
Old 12-17-2003, 10:52 PM
mtbikerco

thank you

cheers for the info mates. any suggestions on how to go about painting to hood or should I buck up and pay for it.
Old 12-21-2003, 10:37 PM
deadeye95

Get it done by a pro. Don't get a "matching" spray can and paint it like I did.

I have sold mine - because I defiled it in such a way........
Old 12-21-2003, 11:27 PM
mtbikerco

what happened

What happened when you painted it using the can? Was the color way junky? was it really hard to paint in on right? or was it just a ****o deal and i need to stay far away from even attempting it.

Nick
Old 12-22-2003, 09:09 PM
deadeye95

I could not get the texture to match on the 4x4 square foot area that would be the top. Finally gave up because the paint was getting too thick - and after it was all over the color wasn't that close either.

I think the odds of a nonprofessional painting that hood area flawlessly is pretty small.
Old 12-23-2003, 11:06 AM
boundsie

Touch-up paint is just for that, touch-up. You fix small chips with a bottle and brush. But,,,, if you need to do the whole hood, I don't think you will ever be able to paint it properly with a poof can. That's for a professional to do and if you need the whole hood painted, the rest of the car likely needs it too. Now you're talking big bucks. How far do you want to go with this project?
Old 12-23-2003, 06:56 PM

I bought a some touch up paint from subaru and it really dosent mach my burgande.
Old 12-23-2003, 07:21 PM
boundsie

The paint I purchased from paintscratch.com matched my son's Acura perfectly. It was kind of spendy but the color was perfect.
Old 12-24-2003, 05:58 PM
mtbikerco

just the hood

The car was wrecked and i am getting a used hood that is not the color of the car. The car paint is in great condition, considering it is 14 years old, and doesn't really need to be repainted.
I am not looking to make this a huge project, just want to make the car look like nothing happened to it. I bought a spray can to do the passenger side rear view mirror, which is white, so i will see how this goes.

thanx for the replies.

Nick
Old 12-28-2003, 12:10 PM
mtbikerco

good paint

Well i painted my mirror with the paint pray can that i got. I am very impressed with the color matching, i even painted some parts of the hood. It blends nicely, not perfect but what can you expect. Just thought i would let you all know how well that spray can worked.

Nick
Old 12-28-2003, 03:04 PM
boundsie

If you need to paint an entire hood, you'll never be able to do even a passable job with a spray can because you won't be able to pump enough paint to keep it even remotely wet enough to flow out. I'd remove the hood, sand it, prime it, sand it again and have a friend with a gun who is reasonably competant shoot it with a paint from a reputable paint shop that will match the color. The paint shop will give you your options and cost for paint types but we're not talking about a ton of money. Find a hobbyist with a paint sprayer and a little experience and this won't cost much, mostly just your labor.
Old 12-30-2003, 10:32 PM
mtbikerco

found hood

I found a same color hood here in colorado. Thank you all for your help.

Nick