Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 11-22-2003, 06:15 PM

Sigh.. One MORE Question... Front Braking Problem In My '92?

Ok,

I've only had the car one week and I have had two major problems already. So, it would appear I am not off to a good start. Here is the latest problem:

Whenever I am braking, it feels like the ABS come on for the front brakes. I will be applying constant pressure on the brake pedal and as the car slows to a stop, the car starts 'slipping' forward and the brakes start pumping.

The ABS light has never come on. Initially, I thought this was an ABS problem (and it still could be) but I did some experiementing and found that if I put the car in neutral as i brake, the problem does not happen. Could this be a transmission problem?

This is becoming a very irritating problem and is rendering the car a nightmare to drive. Any help you all could offer is much appreciated.

Hopefully, someday I will be able to give back to all the helpful people on this message board who've told me so much already.

Thanks!

Dan Taney
angrydan@n2wha.com
Old 11-22-2003, 08:21 PM
Official AutoX Part Breaker
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
by "brakes start pumping" do you mean you can actually feel the brakes releasing and grabing? When is the last time the brake system was bled? What shape are the front rotors in (the stock rotors are prone to warp)?

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

Center Network Member #989

'92 Fully caged, 5 speed, waiting for its fully built EG33
'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
'92(?) Laguna, 6 spd and other stuff (still at OT's place)
My Locker
Old 11-23-2003, 02:01 AM

Yes... it feels like the brakes are releasing and grabbing. I just bought the car, so I do not know when the brake system was bled last. However, the car just passed PA inspection, so I would assume that the rotors are okay.

Do you think there might be an air bubble in the brake line somewhere?
Old 11-23-2003, 05:09 AM
6evil9

i got similar problem but bit different
for me it feels shaking and noticable int steering wheel going left/right abit

more speed more shaking...

changed wheels around and its second set of wheels im running
so i think they all wont be out of ballance..

any ideas?

man if it is ok on neutral then it would be weird as abs work on neutral as well (?) and u dont change anything in rotors or calipers or anything in breaking system... so logically it s transmition...

tried to pull tranny codes for excisting and previous problems?
Old 11-23-2003, 10:01 AM
inline

I believe I had this problem a while ago on my '95.

I think it was a broken Tone Wheel.

I pulled the ABS fuse until I got it fixed.
Old 11-23-2003, 11:39 AM

inline: you are awesome! Pulling the ABS fuse definitly did stop the problem. So, it appears the tranny is fine. I drove the car for about 30 mins today without any sign of the problem described before. The braking actually feels better, too.

So, I am not familiar with the Tone Wheel. Where is that? What does it do? Is it difficult to replace?

Thanks SO much... at least the car is driveable again! I will deal with the ABS when i have the chance.

-Dan
Old 11-23-2003, 02:19 PM
inline

No problem.
Glad it fixed your problem....but the tone wheel is not a simple part to replace and it is kind of expensive as well.

It sits behind the hub and the hub needs to be removed (I think)to replace the tone wheel.

I believe it is part of the ABS sensor system.

You can see if your tone wheel is broken by taking off your front wheels. Mine was cracked badly.

See here: Tone wheel is #17
Front Axle Diagram

Hope it helps...
Old 11-27-2003, 08:09 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
I was told by a former Subaru dealership that my tone wheel was cracked. This was when they were changing the bearing for me. The just welded it for me. No ABS problems ever.