How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 11-15-2003, 12:53 AM
quiquetupper

Brake Band

I just want to know if the brake band adjustment could it be done lifting the car over those hydraulic or electric shop lifts.I tried to look at the adjusting screw but I could not see anything from the engine compartment.
Old 11-15-2003, 07:32 AM

I think most of us that have done this DIY did it from the top, but will admit it wasn't user friendly.

Doing it from the bottom (I've heard) can be done, but requires removal of the tranny mount and shoving the tranny over manually with a 2X4, blocking it in position, then sliding a hand with wrench up alongside. Since it is pointing straight up on the upper part of the curve, I don't believe it could be seen from the bottom and would have to be done by touch.

My personal opinion is to go back and try again from the top. This is a very small (7mm) square head stud surrounded by a 12mm nut tightened flush to the case - extending out of a case maybe a half-inch all together - and it's all painted the same color, so no help there.
Old 11-15-2003, 03:23 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
I thought it's 7mm and 17mm?

Easiest done from the top. Should only take 15 mins once you get the hang of it.

What are you trying to fix with the adjustment?
Old 11-15-2003, 06:01 PM
What Potholes ???
Subaru Bronze Contributor

Registered SVX
mabey this will help
Attached Images
File Type: jpg brake_band_adj.php.jpg (224.6 KB, 132 views)

92 Pearl White Ls-l (138k) Euro Headlights & Blinkers, 97 Grill, Euro Tail Lights, SS Brake Lines, Stebro Exhaust, Slotted Rotors, Classic Registration
96 Legacy Outback (206k) 5-speed 2.2 Lightweight Crank Pulley, Group N Trans & Motor Mounts SOLD
Wanted: Steering Wheel
Old 11-15-2003, 11:14 PM
quiquetupper

Brake Bamd Adjustment

Actually,I am confused,some say it is a 17mm and a 7mm wrench,some say it is a 17mm and a 10mm wrench and now you say it is a 12mm and a 7mm wrench,I have what Michael posted,but I have tried to find the socket wrench tool part number 398603610 and not even Subaru has it.
Earthworm,I have posted before about my problem,I have just noticed like 3 weeks ago,after taking my car on a long trip about 3000 miles that it is not shifting to 2nd,I thought it was shifting 1-2 at high RPM between 3k and 4.5k RPM,but testing my car advised by a transmission shop I have noticed it is shifting from 1st to 3rd,and after checking what you all post,I am pretty sure is the brake band it needs adjustment.
But anyway thank you all for your advises and I am going to try for first time next Thursday.
Old 11-16-2003, 03:18 AM
*Special* Member

Send a message via AIM to Bwana
So...anyone around the Chicago area that could help me do this?

Lwin?
1996 Brilliant Red L (AWD). Bought: 6-14-04 - Sold: 3-3-07 - 15.370 @ 89.65
1992 Claret/black LS #4086 (GF's). Bought: 6-30-04 - Sold: 7-29-07
1994 Pearl White LSi Bought: 2001? Sold: 2004?
Old 11-16-2003, 01:56 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
how's your 3-4 shift? If that's ok then perhaps a shift solenoid or the associated seal(s) is going. (hopefully not)

You could try tightening the band to see if it will help. Tighten too much and you'll find that your 2-3 shift will have a hesitation.
Old 11-16-2003, 11:54 PM
quiquetupper

Brake Bamd Adjustment

Earthworm,when my mechanic installed this transmission,since it is from a 94 SVX and my car is a 92,he told me that it was shifting 1-2 at high RPM,so I searched on this Network and I found out it could be the brake band,but he said it was doubtful because 3-4 shifting was normal and if it was a brake band problem,3-4 shifting would be the same.
I already bought the solenoids(they come 4 in a package)I bought it from an aftermarket transmission warehouse here in Portland,Oregon,but before installing them I wanted to make sure that the brake band is not the problem..I hope you can guide with more questions to make the right decision. Thank you.
Old 11-27-2003, 05:00 PM
Meow!

There's a total of 6 solenoids in the auto tranny. I believe that a combination of seals and solenoids failing caused my tranny to eventually die. My tranny came from a 94 as well.

I've never changed any seals or solenoids before so I don't know the work involved. I told myself if anything happened to the auto I was putting in a 5 spd.