How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-21-2003, 03:50 PM
sv_rider

Question test drove an SVX, now have questions...

Just test drove a '92 LS-L at a nearby dealer (not local), and it was rough! It was burgundy, with 80k miles, but it definitely looked like it had not been cared for. Lots of dings all around, poor performance of various power features, extremely dirty, etc? yet the dealer was still asking $5500 (down from $7000!).Clearly not ?the one.? Since this remains my only driving experience in an SVX, I have some questions. What are the symptoms of the infamous transmission problems? How is the pick-up from stop on a well running car? This one did not propel me with the vigor that I would imagine 230hp could provide- keeping in mind that my current ride has a paltry 115hp. How about the brakes, these did not inspire confidence, as I felt like I had to push quite a bit before anything happened.

I hope soon to test drive a black '92 LS-L, which I have seen (looks much better than the one above), and although it has 125k miles, it appears to have been well maintained, as the owner has all the relevant paperwork- oil changes, belts and such at 120k, etc. They are asking $4500. She says that it goes through brake pads quickly, is this typical?

I would really like to own one of these cars, but I am worried that I will not find something decent near me, as traveling more than a couple hundred miles is not really an option. So, any thoughts about what to look and listen for while test driving and inspecting SVX?s? I also plan to take any decent seeming car to the local Subaru dealer for a pre-purchase inspection.

Thanks!
Chris
Old 05-21-2003, 03:59 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to Andy
I think you have answered the 1st paragraph yourself, Chris. The SVX is not a car to buy if it has been neglected.

I am not too familiar with your side of the pond, but if you are lucky, a forum member in your area might be able to help out.

Welcome to the friendly network

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If I would be a young man again and had to decide how to make my living, I
would not try to become a scientist or scholar or teacher. I would rather
choose to be a plumber or a peddler in the hope to find that modest degree
of independence still available under present circumstances.
-- Albert Einstein, The Reporter, November 18 1954
Old 05-21-2003, 04:03 PM
Only SVX @ UCF (Cool!)

Send a message via AIM to svxjoe
Exclamation Looking to buy?

I've got a 94....check the locker..... bidding will start @ $11,000.....cricket-cricket. New Paint and rims and alot of other new (expensive) stuff. Dealership maintained. Only 80K miles on it, and runs beautifully. Car can be shipped!

Last edited by svxjoe; 05-21-2003 at 04:09 PM.
Old 05-21-2003, 04:08 PM
gcookaustin

Re: test drove an SVX, now have questions...

Quote:
Originally posted by sv_rider
Just test drove a '92 LS-L at a nearby dealer (not local), and it was rough! It was burgundy, with 80k miles, but it definitely looked like it had not been cared for. Lots of dings all around, poor performance of various power features, extremely dirty, etc? yet the dealer was still asking $5500 (down from $7000!).Clearly not ?the one.? Since this remains my only driving experience in an SVX, I have some questions. What are the symptoms of the infamous transmission problems? How is the pick-up from stop on a well running car? This one did not propel me with the vigor that I would imagine 230hp could provide- keeping in mind that my current ride has a paltry 115hp. How about the brakes, these did not inspire confidence, as I felt like I had to push quite a bit before anything happened.

I hope soon to test drive a black '92 LS-L, which I have seen (looks much better than the one above), and although it has 125k miles, it appears to have been well maintained, as the owner has all the relevant paperwork- oil changes, belts and such at 120k, etc. They are asking $4500. She says that it goes through brake pads quickly, is this typical?

I would really like to own one of these cars, but I am worried that I will not find something decent near me, as traveling more than a couple hundred miles is not really an option. So, any thoughts about what to look and listen for while test driving and inspecting SVX?s? I also plan to take any decent seeming car to the local Subaru dealer for a pre-purchase inspection.

Thanks!
Chris
I bought one a year ago just the same as the one you test drove, with about the same mileage (81k). It was in fairly decent condition; I paid $4125 for it with the understanding that I would have to get new CV axles ($210 total). This car had no written service history, and a shady past but so far no problems have resulted from any lack of care (I was told that oil changes were performed, and brakes replaced, but that's about it).

The car you looked at may have problems that may have made it seem kinda slow, I believe that that model year should have accelerated to 60 in about 7 seconds or so. The SVX is heavy (35-3600 lbs), so that would seem to stifle its numbers somewhat but it still seems plenty fast to me.

If any SVX you drive seems to slip while in gear or shifting, or skips gears, the transmission is about gone. If it seems to slip under light acceleration only, there's hope (usu. a Throttle Position Sensor, ~$200). Mine has that problem, I just ignore it by making sure the RPMs are at least 2k or so when accelerating.

With it being heavy, you will go through brake pads more quickly. Compensate by looking ahead down the road, and not accelerating right to red lights and then braking heavily as many drivers seem to do.
Old 05-21-2003, 04:13 PM
Hater

i'll second what Andy said: an SVX is a complex, yet very reliable car if properly maintained. if neglected, it can be a horror-show, and you could spend more than the price of the car in repairs.

take your time, test drive as many as you can, read up on these forums, and find yourself a nice one. good luck.

the amount i'd need to part with mine is $20 large.

1987 928 S4 (Black) SOLD!
1997 SVX LSi (Ebony) SOLD!
2005 Legacy GT (Silver) [Cobb Stg 2+] SOLD!
1987 928 S4 (Black) SOLD!
2005 Forester XT Premium (Crystal Gray Metallic) SOLD!
2008 Lancer Evolution X MR (Apex Silver) [Cobb Stg 1+]
2015 Outlander Sport 2.4GT AWD (Mercury Gray)
2013 G37xS (Obsidian Black)
Old 05-21-2003, 04:16 PM
Anti-BS Vigilante

Send a message via ICQ to Chicane Send a message via AIM to Chicane
My transmission is in good shape, but it still doesn't quite...eh.. transmit all 230 horses. You should buy a beat SVX and get a 5spd manual. Man. You'll feel 300.

- Rob
Old 05-21-2003, 04:34 PM
sv_rider

Re: Re: test drove an SVX, now have questions...

Quote:
Originally posted by gcookaustin

If it seems to slip under light acceleration only, there's hope (usu. a Throttle Position Sensor, ~$200). Mine has that problem, I just ignore it by making sure the RPMs are at least 2k or so when accelerating.
That is exactly what it was doing I would rather not get involved with a car that is going to need major work quickly, if I can help it, although I would certainly enjoy a 5spd more than an auto!

Yes, I am not terribly rushed, so I can afford to take my time and get the right car. I understand that higher mileage is not something to worry too much about? Seems like a number of people around here have more than 200k on their motors?

Chris
Old 05-21-2003, 05:04 PM
Anti-BS Vigilante

Dude, seriously, buy an SVX with a beat tranny, then get it converted. If you have the $, thats the way to do it.

- Rob
Old 05-21-2003, 05:40 PM
I abuse them one at a time

Location: Northbrook, Illinois, USA, Earth, Solar System... you get the picture
Send a message via AIM to Seraph Send a message via Skype™ to Seraph
Chris,

One thing with the SVX is that they are great cars. We all know that. however, if not well maintained, you are looking at a nice money hole in your wallet. The claret seems to be in ok condition (dings are normal if you park outside -- I have a couple of small dings) but seems like you will need to replace your rotors/pads soon.

SVX has a nice feature where if your rotors/pads are worn close to the metal, they will depress half and the full pressure will only apply afterwards. A nice way to let you know you need to replace them soon.

No the brakes do not wear out very quickly but all depends on how one drives the car. If the lady is saying her brakes are worn out frequently, check the car out. She may have a lead foot.

If anyone is in your area, ask them to check out the car with you/for you. That's the best way to go.

Good luck with the search.

Lwin
Previous SVXes: •1994 LE Barcelona Red 107k • 1992 LS-L Pearl White 143k • 1994 LSi Bordeaux Pearl 220k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 184k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 145k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 102k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 123k
Other current cars:2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Black
If at first you don't succeed, CHEAT!
Old 05-21-2003, 06:34 PM
svxeno

You've got the time? Then take your time. It's a great car if well maintained and possibly not very inexpensive if not.

The "buzz" of a new car is great. The "buzz" of a new (to you) SVX is even better. So be patient and get a good one!

Randy ii
Old 05-21-2003, 06:55 PM
gcookaustin

Quote:
Originally posted by Seraph
Chris,

SVX has a nice feature where if your rotors/pads are worn close to the metal, they will depress half and the full pressure will only apply afterwards. A nice way to let you know you need to replace them soon.

Lwin
What does this mean exactly? I haven't heard this before,
Old 05-21-2003, 09:10 PM
I abuse them one at a time

Location: Northbrook, Illinois, USA, Earth, Solar System... you get the picture
Send a message via AIM to Seraph Send a message via Skype™ to Seraph
It's in the manual.

I read it somwhere.

When you press the brakes, if it is good, the whole thing will behave like any other car. If it is about to be dead (metal to metal or close), it will go in about 1/2 way without any effort and then behave like normal pressing.

L
Previous SVXes: •1994 LE Barcelona Red 107k • 1992 LS-L Pearl White 143k • 1994 LSi Bordeaux Pearl 220k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 184k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 145k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 102k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 123k
Other current cars:2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Black
If at first you don't succeed, CHEAT!
Old 05-21-2003, 09:14 PM
Anti-BS Vigilante

Quote:
Originally posted by Seraph
It's in the manual.

I read it somwhere.

When you press the brakes, if it is good, the whole thing will behave like any other car. If it is about to be dead (metal to metal or close), it will go in about 1/2 way without any effort and then behave like normal pressing.

L
Mine didn't do that, and I went completley metal to metal. In fact, there was no warning sign, not even a 'squeal'. Given that I have worked on all 4 corners of my car, I don't really see how Subaru would have accomplished such a feat; the calipers in front are the exact same calipers on a 1990 Nissan Pathfinder, and the back ones aren't any miracles either.

- Rob
Old 05-21-2003, 09:30 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
Re: Re: Re: test drove an SVX, now have questions...

Quote:
Originally posted by sv_rider

That is exactly what it was doing I would rather not get involved with a car that is going to need major work quickly, if I can help it, although I would certainly enjoy a 5spd more than an auto!

Yes, I am not terribly rushed, so I can afford to take my time and get the right car. I understand that higher mileage is not something to worry too much about? Seems like a number of people around here have more than 200k on their motors?

Chris
Chris, it sounds like you have the right attitude. It's worth taking your time to find an SVX that's been cared for properly.

As for mileage, that depends on the above. My car has 133k on it now, but (with a new tranny) behaves and runs very well. An SVX that's thrashed daily will show it.

I live pretty close by, in Ann Arbor. If you find any in this area that you want to look at, let me know and I'll try to help you with the car. I know a few things about the SVX by now.

I wish you the best of luck finding the right SVX. These are fantastic cars, and this community is helpful beyond description.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE
Old 05-22-2003, 05:46 AM
sv_rider

Re: test drove an SVX, now have questions...

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Pockets

I live pretty close by, in Ann Arbor. If you find any in this area that you want to look at, let me know and I'll try to help you with the car. I know a few things about the SVX by now.
Thanks. Ann Arbor Subaru is where I drove the burgandy SVX yesterday. I was not impressed with the look of that place in general- a mostly dirt lot with a big metal-shed style building doesn't seem right for a new car dealer!