Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-05-2003, 11:43 AM
Have a poncho I can borrow?

The Wrath of the Car Gods!

Ever since my Brat died on X-mas day I've had a whole slew of car troubles.

1. Brat dies- Disto pops up and destoyed the crank gear. Still working on putting a new engine into her in my 10 minutes a day of spare time (no longer get to read the paper!)
2. XT6 gets towed at work and they bent a wheel and messed up the control arm so much that it needed a new ball joint then say they have no record of towing it.
3. XT6 drivers side window died last Friday. Only place it stays now is all the way down.
4. Today driving to work my Alt belt broke on the SVX.

Now I have 3 subarus which none are currently drivable. I'm guessing that since I haven't cut myself or injured myself doing any car repair type things in the past couple of months the Car Gods are thirsty and I should go out, slice part of my thumb off and let it bleed on all three cars. That should work right.
Old 03-05-2003, 11:50 AM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Re: The Wrath of the Car Gods!

Quote:
Originally posted by benebob
I'm guessing that since I haven't cut myself or injured myself doing any car repair type things in the past couple of months the Car Gods are thirsty and I should go out, slice part of my thumb off and let it bleed on all three cars. That should work right.

That should do it. Of course, It's gotten to the point that I can't even pump gas without drawing blood.

I don't know if it works on Subarus, but, it worked on my Ford Fairlane: baling wire. It doesn't even have to be functional. Just put a piece of baling wire on it . . . somewhere, and it seems to chase away the gremlins.
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI
Old 03-05-2003, 12:21 PM
Paxton71

How to improve your Carma. (sic)

There is one, his name is Sid (Praise Sid, the automotive god, may he forever burn rubber across the sky in a 1970 BOSS 302 Mustang).

Whenever you invoke Sid's name....(Praise Sid the automotive god, may he forever burn rubber across the sky in a 1970 Dodge Challenger 440 with a sixpack) You need to make sure you add a little something to it. Burning rubber across the sky seems to work well for me.

He is ruthless, he takes your money, he hath no mercy, but when he is on your side, your car will deliver you in Comfort, Safety, and STYLE.

Just ask Sid (Praise Sid, the automotive god, may he forever blaze a tire smoke trail across the sky in a 1976 Super Sport Malibu) for a little help. maybe you can burn a little rubber in sacrifice too. Good for the sinuses.
Old 03-05-2003, 12:48 PM
alacrity024

I am unfamiliar with Sid (Praise Sid, the automotive God. May he forever blow donuts in an empty, snow-covered parking lot in the sky in a WRX STi), but shall now call upon him whenever i need a little extra help..

I hope that Sid (Praise Sid, the automotive God. May he speed forever across the heavens on an unused logging road in a rusty pickup truck with a 454 under the hood) can be of some assistance in the future

-adam
Old 03-05-2003, 01:03 PM
^ has Subaru issues

Send a message via AIM to Kurt_W
Actually, I think its a Subaru thing. My SVX has been down for the last 4-5 months due to a variety of problems (you know, fix one, and then another breaks) and I guess my Impreza finally got lonely or whatever and blew up the ABS hydraulic unit. So now I have 2 Subarus that make wonderful paper weights.

My Honda's on the other hand only break down when I look at another Honda to purchase...so as long as I don't look at other Hondas they're fine.
'91 Miata - a lot-o-miles
'88 CRX Si/B16 not-so-SiR
'73 Datsun 240Z
Old 03-05-2003, 02:08 PM
Anti-BS Vigilante

Send a message via ICQ to Chicane Send a message via AIM to Chicane
Re: Re: The Wrath of the Car Gods!

Quote:
Originally posted by Aredubjay
I don't know if it works on Subarus, but, it worked on my Ford Fairlane: baling wire. It doesn't even have to be functional. Just put a piece of baling wire on it . . . somewhere, and it seems to chase away the gremlins.
Bahahahhahahah!

If that were true, my old 68 Charger would be hte most reliable car on the planet!
Old 03-05-2003, 03:17 PM

Re: Re: Re: The Wrath of the Car Gods!

Quote:
Originally posted by Chicane

Bahahahhahahah!

If that were true, my old 68 Charger would be hte most reliable car on the planet!
I used to own a MOPAR. I think they prefer duct tape to baling wire - seemed to work on a '65 SPort Fury and a '66 Coronet. Not sure what to use on GM products
Old 03-05-2003, 04:01 PM
Inventor of the 5-speed swap

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Re: Re: Re: Re: The Wrath of the Car Gods!

Quote:
Originally posted by lee

I used to own a MOPAR. I think they prefer duct tape to baling wire - seemed to work on a '65 SPort Fury and a '66 Coronet. Not sure what to use on GM products
wire clothes hangers
88 XT6 AWD 5-Speed "Bride of FrankenWedge"
15 Impreza Premium Sedan
15 Crosstrek XV 5-Speed
My 5-Speed "How-To" Write-up
1976 Pontiac Firebird Formula
Current Count of Subaru's Owned.... "70"
Old 03-05-2003, 04:30 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to CigarJohnny
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: The Wrath of the Car Gods!

Quote:
Originally posted by huck369

wire clothes hangers
I think you're right, Huck. I had the entire exaust system on my 69 Olds held on with coat hanger wire. :-D

Ebony Mica '92 LS 80K Oct 2002 - Dec 2004: Victim of theft. She served me well.

You can tell the lack of craftsmanship by the wrinkles in the duct tape.
Old 03-05-2003, 06:59 PM
Superbeast

Re: The Wrath of the Car Gods!

Quote:
Originally posted by benebob
Ever since my Brat died on X-mas day I've had a whole slew of car troubles.

1. Brat dies- Disto pops up and destoyed the crank gear. Still working on putting a new engine into her in my 10 minutes a day of spare time (no longer get to read the paper!)
2. XT6 gets towed at work and they bent a wheel and messed up the control arm so much that it needed a new ball joint then say they have no record of towing it.
3. XT6 drivers side window died last Friday. Only place it stays now is all the way down.
4. Today driving to work my Alt belt broke on the SVX.

Now I have 3 subarus which none are currently drivable. I'm guessing that since I haven't cut myself or injured myself doing any car repair type things in the past couple of months the Car Gods are thirsty and I should go out, slice part of my thumb off and let it bleed on all three cars. That should work right.

Is the only reason your changing motors in the Brat because of the crank gear? Or is the rest of the motor spent.
92 SVX #772 140k 6speed, ECU Tune stage II, Koni/Ground control, 3,270lbs.
91 Legacy Turbo 5spd. FMIC, crappy stock turbo, ACT clutch.
78 BRAT (New toy) (Soon to be EJ22T powered)
90 240 SX. RB25 powered!! DRIFT!!!111!!! (GF's car)

To many cars to spend time on teh web!
Old 03-06-2003, 06:21 AM
Have a poncho I can borrow?

Re: Re: The Wrath of the Car Gods!

Quote:
Originally posted by Subafreak

Is the only reason your changing motors in the Brat because of the crank gear? Or is the rest of the motor spent.
Well yeah, I did replace the crank gear and got out as many of the shavings as I could, flushed the oil and restarted the thing. Disto came right back out. The disto turns fine so I'm not sure what the problem is. Oh yeah the gear itself cost me nearly a 1/3 of what the engine cost. Old engine has close to 180k on it and had a real rough life prior to me getting it. The clutch was starting to slip and the rear seal had a leak in it so I figured why not just replace the whole thing since no one I talked to could come up with things to check for the disto. Everyone just said. Hmmm. Weird! I never heard of that!