Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-09-2002, 08:56 PM
Kolombian013X

Emergency brake light on??

My e-brake is sometimes on when I turn on my car and drive to school even when the e-brake is not up. I was thinking it might be just a wire loose or something. But after school goes by I get out and the light is off. Could it have something to do with the temperature? Maybe someone can give me advice.
Old 12-09-2002, 08:58 PM
Not as old as Randy

Significant Technical Input
Check your brake fluid - when it gets cold it contracts and drops a bit, someties enough to turn on the light. BTW - when the fluid drops that far it's a good idea to take a peek at your brakes, it may be time for new pads.
Old 12-09-2002, 09:00 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
Re: Emergency brake light on??

Quote:
Originally posted by Kolombian013X
My e-brake is sometimes on when I turn on my car and drive to school even when the e-brake is not up. I was thinking it might be just a wire loose or something. But after school goes by I get out and the light is off. Could it have something to do with the temperature? Maybe someone can give me advice.
When I drove my SVX in the winter, I think it did this some times. My Justy does it, but only when it's below 20 degF outside.

Just to clarify, I always set the e-brake when I park any of my cars. Anyway, if anybody has an answer, I'd love to hear it.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE
Old 12-09-2002, 09:10 PM
Poor College Racer

Send a message via AIM to drivemusicnow
whenever i set the e-brake on my svx my mom ends up driving it and usually gets pissed at me cause she leaves it on for the first few minutes of driving... so I've given up on putting it on... figure its not as bad for the tranni to hold it as it is for the brake to drive with it

97 Red SVX LSi clean
96 Black SVX LSi beater
90 Red Eclipse GSX track ho
99 Ford F250 work horse
My Locker
Old 12-09-2002, 09:39 PM
Invisible avatar
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Ron Mummert Send a message via Yahoo to Ron Mummert
Quote:
Originally posted by Beav
Check your brake fluid - when it gets cold it contracts and drops a bit, someties enough to turn on the light. BTW - when the fluid drops that far it's a good idea to take a peek at your brakes, it may be time for new pads.

Yep - after following lotsa' posts about this phenomenon, my light came on two weeks ago during a bitter cold snap. I popped the master cylinder cap & it was BARELY below full. Nonetheless I poured a bit of fluid in, (Thanks, Rufus). The fluid even overflowed as I screwed the cap back on. The light's been out ever since. Ain't this site a major help, or what?

Ron.

'92 stock semi-pristine ebony - 160K
'96 Grand Caravan - 240K
'01 Miata SE - 79K
'07 Chrysler Pacifica - 60k - future money pit.
Old 12-09-2002, 10:57 PM
AbdominalSnoman

never ignore your brake lights. Mine was on for about 10 minutes one day before I nearly soiled myself. I had a small hole in a line and was barely able to stop at an intersection once. If it wasn't for the e-brake I may or may not have been able to.
Old 12-10-2002, 12:28 AM
No front plate on My SVX

Send a message via MSN to CDG
Not that I'm the expert on the SVX, but this is a common problem with vehicles having a sensor in the master. Brake fluid has charactoristics that make the float decay, so by adding a little more fluid, you bypass the problem. Ya, it can also be a wire.
Answer#1: check the float/sensor sitting in brake fluid, if it looks off, either replace it, or depending on the material, it can be boiled in hot water to remove saturation of brake fluid.
Answer#2: Tempurature is a key factor to the above, but some cars have a residual preassure gauge in the master cylinder, again, no idea about the SVX.
Answer#3, and todays best pick: Hit things and watch the light, that should help pin point the problem.

Current Ride, 1985 Honda Aero 80, stock 3024 klms
Old 12-10-2002, 05:32 AM
Fight Eminent Domain Abuse!

Send a message via AIM to mohrds Send a message via Yahoo to mohrds
Quote:
Originally posted by drivemusicnow
whenever i set the e-brake on my svx my mom ends up driving it and usually gets pissed at me cause she leaves it on for the first few minutes of driving... so I've given up on putting it on... figure its not as bad for the tranni to hold it as it is for the brake to drive with it
Sounds like your mom needs to have her driving privileges taken away.

Sheesh...How can she not notice that big red light on the dash?

Doug
Black over Claret with 2.5" setback spoiler; 202,000 miles; Mods: B&M Cooler
1994 LSi (4/93)
Bordeaux Pearl; 198,000 miles; Mods: Weight reduction.

1969 Mustang GT Convertible
1970 Mustang Convertible
2000 Ford Excursion
Sola lingua bona est lingua mortua.

My Locker
Old 12-10-2002, 01:23 PM
Not as old as Randy

To clarify - there isn't a 'residual pressure' switch in any car I'm aware of, however there there is a pressure differential switch that will turn on the same light if there's a difference in pressure between the two braking circuits. Since he didn't mention any noticeable drop in the pedal height I went with the low fluid theory. Not picking nits, just being a bit more accurate. Floats can become saturated, but while it's not unheard of, the vast majority are just in need of pads. As the pads wear the fluid replaces their diminishing thickness by collecting on the other side of the caliper piston.

Nick: If you really don't need to use the parking brake, don't. In the winter below freezing temperatures will cause any water that might be inside the cable housing to freeze and not allow the brake to fully release. (just like the Taurus cruise cable mentioned in the other thread) Until the cable comes completely back to the released position the handle probably won't pull against the switch enough to open the circuit to the lamp.
Old 12-10-2002, 01:32 PM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Quote:
In the winter below freezing temperatures will cause any water that might be inside the cable housing to freeze and not allow the brake to fully release.
This is a problem I've had with most of the former cars I've owned. I simply don't set the brake overnight in freezing weather.

As for the brake light, I've had the "Light on in cold conditions" on both my SVXes. A dab of fluid has cured the problem on both.
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI
Old 12-10-2002, 02:31 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
Quote:
Nick: If you really don't need to use the parking brake, don't. In the winter below freezing temperatures will cause any water that might be inside the cable housing to freeze and not allow the brake to fully release. (just like the Taurus cruise cable mentioned in the other thread) Until the cable comes completely back to the released position the handle probably won't pull against the switch enough to open the circuit to the lamp.
While that's good advice, and I appreciate it, it's too complicated for me. If I have to think about the rules before I apply the parking brake, then I'm going to forget it when I really need to use it. Right now, it's a reflexive part of parking. Yeah, it's possible that some day I'm going to set the brake and then not be able to get it to release, but that hasn't happened to me yet in nine years, so I'll still take my chances.

Another stupid thing I do:

When I was in driver's ed, believe it or not my driving in structor told me to hold the button down while lifting up on the lever. Why? So it wouldn't wear out the teeth that the little pawl catches on. I'm not kidding. How many times a day would you have to park your car to wear out those friggin' teeth over the lifetime of the car?

And yet, I do it.

I think because I just don't like the 'rccccccchhhhhhh" noise, not because I think I'm wearing anything out. I think I might also do it so I can actually feel cable tension before I let the button go.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE
Old 12-10-2002, 02:50 PM

I use the parking brake every time I park. The cables on the SVX are 100% enclosed from the cabin all the way to the inside of brake drum. The cables stay well greased inside with very little chance of the grease getting washed off.

As opposed to some other cars I have owned which have parking cables going in and out of sleeves under the car just waiting for road rash to remove all the protection...

Doug
1994 LSi (4/93)

1970 Mustang Convertible
2000 Ford Excursion

My Locker
Old 12-10-2002, 03:49 PM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Pockets
Another stupid thing I do:

When I was in driver's ed, believe it or not my driving in structor told me to hold the button down while lifting up on the lever. Why? So it wouldn't wear out the teeth that the little pawl catches on. I'm not kidding. How many times a day would you have to park your car to wear out those friggin' teeth over the lifetime of the car?

I don't think that's stupid at all . . . especially since I do it too. I also press the button on my pocketwatch to close it, so I don't wear out the catch and on my transnote computer.
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI
Old 12-10-2002, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Aredubjay
I also press the button on my pocketwatch to close it, so I don't wear out the catch.
I do that too. However I do it because the jeweler TOLD me to press it when closing, after paying to have it fixed.

Doug
1994 LSi (4/93)

1970 Mustang Convertible
2000 Ford Excursion

My Locker
Old 12-10-2002, 05:49 PM
Not as old as Randy

My driver's ed teacher told us to make sure that we parked the wipers before turning the car off as they would lose their spring tension if left midway across the windshield. I guess that explains why they bounce up and down when they're in the park position...

If the cables are enclosed from front to rear maybe someone has spilled a coke, etc. in the console and when cold, thick and sticky the switch is reluctant to open. Unfortunately you wouldn't be the first, I've had to clean a few with that problem and it sucks - yuck!