How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 04-02-2006, 06:13 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
[QUOTE=b3lha]Thanks Harvey, you're a star. Your wiring diagram shows 11/B66 taking input from 6/B68. This is the same pin where the JDM TCU takes it's VSS2 input. I have a strong feeling that the JDM and Aussie TCUs are the same part, but wired differently. Out of pure curiousity, I'm going to have a look at the wiring on my JDM cars. I'm wondering whether it's possible to trigger the Econ mode (which is not present on JDM cars) by grounding 4/B66 as per your Aussie wiring diagram. I'll also look at how the JDM power mode button is wired and see whether it's possible to add a Power mode button to Aussie SVXes without frigging the TPS signal.QUOTE]

Hi Phil, don't know about a star, but my twinkle still works.

Yes they could be the same. The difference routing of the speed signal is probably due to the difference in the number of pulses that the two different sensors give. The US/JDM is 4 pulses per wheel rev. The Aussie has the final drive gear reduction of 3.7 between the sensor and the wheel rotation. So I think it is fed into the TCU to convert the sine wave inductive signal, into the square wave signal, divided by the 3.7 difference, before going to the speedo.

I have noticed the Economy circuit in the book, but it is not fitted with a switch in my model. I guess a switch could be fitted to operate it. The Power mode would be worth a try, to see if it would operate it my model. The Liberty that we have has the PM switch on the lever. I would be interested to see if I could fit it, it would be good to use in the twisties.

Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.
Old 04-03-2006, 02:45 AM

Thanks guys it is all working now and looking good. It was a bit like climbing a mountain when you are the base it looks impossiable but when you reach the top you wonder what all the fuss was about. I now have some hard decsions to make because the SC should arrive soon and my car is a work car so I may have to buy another one for it. If I do that then I will definiently fit a 6 speed to it. My only problem is I love my car nearly as much as the wife so getting a second will be a bit hard to take, I would have trouble changing either. Have a good day and again thanks for your help it is appricated.
Tony
1995 - SVX 700,000 K Mine, DMS Struts to lift car 2in. Tyres Wrangler Silent Armor 235/70R16, PBR Radiator. 6 speed with DCCD and R180 rer diff, Heavy duty top strut mounts front and rear. Speedo correction box fitted. New stero (gave up on the old one). Back seat removed and 2 spare tyres fitted for desert driving. ECUTune SC sitting in the box for the next SVX.
1992 - SVX 255 K Wife (Want to stay Married so not allowed to fit SC)
1992 - SVX Pearl with black roof race car roll cauge etc ready to race. Ex Tasman Targa car.
1995 - SVX Green low k mint condiation.
1995 - SVX Rally car, ex Matts car. Now to be used on track.
1992 - SVX red & Black being converted to Mid Engine.
1995 - SVX Red 143,000 bit rough.
Owned 5 others Subaru back to a 1974 1400 GSR.
Old 04-04-2006, 06:28 PM
Phil & Belha

I've done some investigating, tracing the wires on my JDM 94. It turns out I was wrong. The TCUs are not the same, but they are extremely similar and I haven't given up on the idea of them being interchangeable.

The TCU wiring is exactly the same as your Aussie diagram except:

Pin a4 is connected to the "power mode" button rather than the "economy mode " button. In both cases, the switch connects the pin to ground to activate the mode. Since the same pin is used for "power" on JDM and "econ" on Aussie cars, the TCUs must be different, but I think it is just a firmware difference rather than hardware.

a17 and c6 are not connected. This is the circuit that I believe converts the inductive speed signal into the square wave signal. The pins are connected to the circuit board internally so I think the conversion circuit exists in the JDM TCU, but is not used.

In conclusion, I reckon:

Aussie and JDM TCUs are the same except for the firmware. A JDM TCU can drive an Aussie gearbox and vice-versa provided that you wire the speed sensors appropriately.

If you put a JDM TCU in an Aussie car then the Econ button (if you have one) will operate power mode. Similarly if you put an Aussie TCU in a JDM car then the power button will operate Econ mode. In both cases you would have to adjust the wiring slightly to get the dash lights to show the correct mode.

Interestingly, the wiring schema is practically identical on USA models too, which makes me wonder if their TCU is also the same except for the firmware. Presumably their firmware would be significantly different and not interchangeable with ours. However, I wonder what shift mode pin a4 would activate on an american TCU? I think I'll start another thread to discuss that one.
1994 Alcyone SVX S40-II
2004 Subaru Legacy 2.5 SE Sports Tourer
1996 Subaru Legacy 2.2 GX Wagon
1988 Subaru Justy J12 SL-II
Old 04-05-2006, 05:23 AM

Phil, Mike from ECUtune said that the US and Aust units are different in the altertude sensor and that when I fit the SC I will have to change the ECU or else it won't function correctly. Pretty soon we are going to find out how different they are because he is going to be shipping the units soon.
Tony
1995 - SVX 700,000 K Mine, DMS Struts to lift car 2in. Tyres Wrangler Silent Armor 235/70R16, PBR Radiator. 6 speed with DCCD and R180 rer diff, Heavy duty top strut mounts front and rear. Speedo correction box fitted. New stero (gave up on the old one). Back seat removed and 2 spare tyres fitted for desert driving. ECUTune SC sitting in the box for the next SVX.
1992 - SVX 255 K Wife (Want to stay Married so not allowed to fit SC)
1992 - SVX Pearl with black roof race car roll cauge etc ready to race. Ex Tasman Targa car.
1995 - SVX Green low k mint condiation.
1995 - SVX Rally car, ex Matts car. Now to be used on track.
1992 - SVX red & Black being converted to Mid Engine.
1995 - SVX Red 143,000 bit rough.
Owned 5 others Subaru back to a 1974 1400 GSR.
Old 04-05-2006, 05:31 AM
Phil & Belha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dessertrunner
Phil, Mike from ECUtune said that the US and Aust units are different in the altertude sensor and that when I fit the SC I will have to change the ECU or else it won't function correctly. Pretty soon we are going to find out how different they are because he is going to be shipping the units soon.
Tony
That will be interesting.

When I was working on the car last night, I thought about comparing my JDM ECU wiring with the USA diagram to see whether they were likely to be interchangeable, but it was late so I didn't bother.

Phil.
1994 Alcyone SVX S40-II
Old 08-21-2006, 11:05 PM

speed sensor - us 96 legacy in SVX

I did not follow thread regarding two wire sensor. I installed a us 1996 legacy 4eat in my svx. The speed sensor #2 out of the svx trans would not fit in the legacy- different drive mechanism. The legacy has a two wire output.
the svx has a 3 wire loom. I broke the wires out of the connector and can attach wires to the two wire. Can you guys summarize which wires to connect for this all US setup. Thanks
Old 08-22-2006, 05:43 AM
Phil & Belha

Hi Drivfour,

Assuming that your two-wire sensor produces the same number of pulses per revolution as the sensor in the Aussie car, you can use the TCU to convert the output into the type of signal that the three wire sensor produces. You need to connect the signal wire to pin a17 of the TCU. The converted signal will come out of pin c6 and needs to be fed to all the places the original signal went.

This is what I would try: Connect your speed sensor to the Black/White and the Yellow/Red wires from the original speed sensor. Then inside the car, find where the Yellow/Red wires comes through from the engine compartment. This point should be before it branches to the speedo, cruise etc. Check you've got the right wire with a meter, cut it there and extend both ends down to the TCU. Wire the end that comes from the engine compartment into pin a17 and the other end to pin c6. These pins are unused on JDM and USDM cars, but from looking at the board, they do seem to have the circuitry behind them.

You will know if it works by if your speedo is working. If it doesn't work, the alternative is to use the Legacy TCU. I am concerned that the sensor in your Legacy 4EAT could be measuring a different shaft to the one in the Aussie SVX. Is the speed sensor located inside the gearbox, or the front diff? Do you happen to have a Legacy service manual?

Phil.
1994 Alcyone SVX S40-II

Last edited by b3lha; 08-22-2006 at 07:27 AM.
Old 08-22-2006, 04:26 PM

#2 speed sensor

It is located near the dipstick for the diff--up front. I am tempted to try to graft the three wire top onto the gear for the two wire--
Old 08-23-2006, 02:59 AM
Phil & Belha

Quote:
Originally Posted by drivfour
It is located near the dipstick for the diff--up front. I am tempted to try to graft the three wire top onto the gear for the two wire--
Yeah, that might be the best way to go.
1994 Alcyone SVX S40-II
Old 08-23-2006, 04:56 AM
it's ruby red - not burgundy!!

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by b3lha
If you put a JDM TCU in an Aussie car then the Econ button (if you have one) will operate power mode.
That probably will not be an issue, because no Australian delivered SVXs had a power or economy button! The only switch that relates to the transmission is the "Manual" button on the shift lever.

Jason.

1992 Ruby Red SVX - 165,000km

....now with sequential VIN numbers!

1986 Holden (Isuzu) Piazza Turbo - 225,000km

1993 Mercedes W140 S500 Coupe - 153,000km

1990 Mercedes W124 300D - 313,000km

EG33 + 4EAT + VTD AWD = SVX
Old 08-23-2006, 08:39 AM
Phil & Belha

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDW-SVX
That probably will not be an issue, because no Australian delivered SVXs had a power or economy button! The only switch that relates to the transmission is the "Manual" button on the shift lever.

Jason.
When I wrote "Aussie car", I was abbreviating for "Aussie, UK, European etc. cars". I reckon they all have the same TCU. The wiring for an econ switch is shown in Harvey's Aussie wiring diagram, so I suspect that if you wire a switch to ground pin a4, you will discover that it does have an economy mode - you are just missing the switch (and possibly the indicator light).

If anybody does put a JDM TCU in their SVX, it would be a crime not to wire up the power mode button.
1994 Alcyone SVX S40-II

Last edited by b3lha; 08-23-2006 at 08:43 AM.
Old 02-22-2015, 02:04 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Kiss Me Deadly
Registered SVX
Re: Transmission difference problem?

Coming back to the subject, i finally done it and now we know for sure - Euro/Aussie VTD TCU is a friednly with Japan box and its not necessary to install induction-type VSS2 into rear of the transmission, its enough to change wiring:

How to if you have Euro/Aussie VTD TCU and a VTD box from Japan (steps when Japan box is already installed):
1. Remove A17 (white wire) from B66 TCU connector
2. Remove C6 (yellow/red wire) from B68 TCU connector
3. Solder these wires (the one from A17+ the one from C6)
4. Remove white wire (#15) from B14 connector (this is a signal wire from induction-type VSS2)
5. Remove black wire (#14) from B14 connector (ground) - this is not so necessary - you can put ground from Japan VSS2 into any point on body

Look at VSS2 on Japan box, it has 3 pins (notch up)
-The middle one is a ground, connect it to body or #14 from B14 (look at step5 above)
-The right one is a signal wire - connect it to #15 from B14 (look at step 4 above)
-The left one is a power (10V) - take it from anywhere where 10V when ignition on

If you own USA SVX and deadly want VTD, you should order:
-VTD TCU from JDM SVX or Euro/Aussie SVX
-Rear diff 3.7 from JDM SVX or Euro/Aussie SVX
-Box+mount from JDM SVX

You will need only to replce TCU, box and rear diff
Old 02-24-2015, 09:18 PM

Registered SVX
Re: Transmission difference problem?

Gleb,

Thanks great news !

Enjoy your VTD !

Tapani