How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-04-2002, 07:17 AM

I kissed a deer this morning.

Well, it was more like a bump. My son and I were running a bit late to catch his school bus so I was driving a bit too fast down our road when out jumps a deer from my left. I slammed on my brakes and for a split second she was running next to my front fender. Then she glanced off the wheel and veered off into the woods. Unfortunately for her, she got one of her hind legs caught under the wheel and broke it.

There are just so many deer around here. They just roam the neighborhoods in herds. My wife hit two of them in the last 15 years and this was my first encounter. Luckily the car shows no effects. In fact it has received more damage from acorns falling on it this past month before I realized it. My chain saw took care of the main problem and the Dent King kit arrived last week.

I did tell my son that from now on, I am leaving on time, and if he misses my ride and the bus, that is his problem to deal with.

Matt
98 Outback 180k
98 Dodge Durango 120k Ski Bus
A multitude of skis to feed my need to go faster, faster until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death.
Old 11-04-2002, 07:24 AM
I abuse them one at a time

Location: Northbrook, Illinois, USA, Earth, Solar System... you get the picture
Send a message via AIM to Seraph Send a message via Skype™ to Seraph
Glad you are OK. yeah, leave on time or be a little late. It's not worth crashing your car.

Lwin
Previous SVXes: •1994 LE Barcelona Red 107k • 1992 LS-L Pearl White 143k • 1994 LSi Bordeaux Pearl 220k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 184k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 145k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 102k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 123k
Other current cars:2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Black
If at first you don't succeed, CHEAT!
Old 11-04-2002, 08:26 AM
Tired

A couple of years ago that happened to me except it cost me a new hood, grill and headlights. The deer ran off... Not sure how badly it was hurt.

1992 LSl (Black Mica)
1965 Mustang G.T. Fastback
1990 Mustang G.T. Convertible
1986 1/2 Nissan 4x4
2004 Vovlo XC70 (wife's)

Wonderful Wife
Wonderful Son
2 Cats

Incredibly blessed!
Old 11-04-2002, 10:06 AM
SVX Black Belt Master

Funny deer story . . .

My youngest daughter married a fellow named Ginder (Gindeer). Since getting his license, he's averaged one deer a year with his car. Every driver in his family (there are five drivers) has totaled at least one car and killed at least one deer. (His dad hit a DEAD deer one time!) Before they were married, my daughter got a deer with his car. Shortly after they were married, he totaled her Justy on a deer. A year or so ago, Mandy was hit by another car. The drivers last name was Reed (Deer - backwards!).

Up until we'd met the Ginders, we had never hit a deer. Well, about two years ago we took our son-in-law skiing. I had a sort of dark premonition before we left, but ignored it. We drove the Camry, and saw several deer on the 90-mile trip to the slopes, but without inciDENT. On the way back, just before leaving the Hoosier National Forest, and at about 5:a., I was being tailgated bad by some kind of mini-truck when I noticed a shadowy object in the road walking into my path. I stomped the brakes and sort of slid sideways and heard a little thump. The truck came flying around on my left, seemingly oblivious to everything around him. I had no idea what happened to the deer.

When I got to the nearest well-lit filling station I pulled over to check for damage. There was a dark smudge and what must have been deer snot on the left rear passenger door, just where Shawn had been sleeping!
'02 Black Sapphire Volvo V40, 133K - "Shadowfax"
'06 Triumph Tiger, 19K
'99 Suzuki DR350SE, 8.5K - "Geezer Killer"
<*}}}}>< ~ ~ ~
~ ~ ~ ~ ><{{{{*>
Old 11-04-2002, 10:11 AM
SVXCAPE

Smile glad you are ok

It sounds like you were pretty lucky, I have had many close calls. In my neck of the woods I have to worry about moose, and Elk, which given their size, well you can guess. I'm glad you guys are ok, and the car too.
Old 11-04-2002, 10:17 AM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
Re: I kissed a deer this morning.

Quote:
Originally posted by mattski
My chain saw took care of the main problem and the Dent King kit arrived last week.
What did you do to your car with the chainsaw???
Old 11-04-2002, 10:25 AM
Making tires round, Six now :)

Hi Matt,

I hear that some communities have satrted deer training programs. What's that I ask? Well when you see a deer by the side of the road eating grass or a bush or whatever, the usually expression is "Oh isn't that cute". What does the deer think? Big object approaching....... and big object going by!!! IT didn't hurt me a bit. I'll just keep eating.

So these people started to honk horns when they see a deer by the road and in some cases to chase the deer when it is safe.

You know what happened? The deer became afraid of large moving objects and stayed away from them.

I glad your okay. I have hit 3 deer that did substanial damage over the years. One in the SVX, new fender, headlight and hood for about $1300.

Take care.

PS Mountian Creek season passes are $200 for adults.
Old 11-04-2002, 10:27 AM

Re: Re: I kissed a deer this morning.

Quote:
Originally posted by Earthworm
What did you do to your car with the chainsaw???
LOL... The three oaks made quite a crash when they came down. I've got it down to a science by using a comealong and steel cable. We live next to a state park so we are surrounded by trees and deer. The trees make a great source of fire wood and the deer would be a great source of protein but I do not hunt.

Matt
98 Outback 180k
A multitude of skis to feed my need to go faster, faster until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death.
Old 11-04-2002, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by svx_commuter
Hi Matt,

I hear that some communities have satrted deer training programs. What's that I ask? Well when you see a deer by the side of the road eating grass or a bush or whatever, the usually expression is "Oh isn't that cute". What does the deer think? Big object approaching....... and big object going by!!! IT didn't hurt me a bit. I'll just keep eating.

So these people started to honk horns when they see a deer by the road and in some cases to chase the deer when it is safe.

You know what happened? The deer became afraid of large moving objects and stayed away from them.

I glad your okay. I have hit 3 deer that did substanial damage over the years. One in the SVX, new fender, headlight and hood for about $1300.

Take care.

PS Mountian Creek season passes are $200 for adults.
The owner of Hilltop Deli on 513 actually feeds them stale bagels by putting them on the corner of Cregar rd. Every night there is a whole herd of them just munching away. Sooner or later something is going to spook them and they will run onto 513 and do some real damage to someone's car, if not worse.

Is that a Weekday pass for $200 or anytime? We should really plan a "ski meet" this winter. We have a place up in the Catskills near Belleayre and Plattekill, and "Huntah" is ~ 45 minutes away.

Matt
98 Outback 180k
Old 11-04-2002, 11:33 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to jscorse
Two short deer stories

One I hit travelling to Niagara Falls (to work actually) at 70mph. Cut the little doe in half! $1500 damage to my Buick. Luckily she was just landing on the road and was low down.

One panic'ed deer somehow got in front of our local (then) grocery store in town (not a small town either). Went nuts, broke through the large glass windows, terrified grocery shoppers, and then ran off through town bleeding all over the place.

Messy messy...

Actually one more comment. This is the TIME of the year to watch out. Hunters (bless their soals) are thinning the herds, which tends to make them run out onto major highways. In the last few days I've seen several blood stains on 496 (a 3-4 lane 65mph road) travelled by lots of semis.

Yuck!
Old 11-04-2002, 12:42 PM

Nobody is touching the title of this thread????

Glad to hear you're OK, sometimes these things can turn out quite badly.
Old 11-04-2002, 02:06 PM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
I've yet to have the . . . uhm . . . pleasure, of hitting a dear <plunk, plunk -- no wood, just head, to knock on>. If it happens, though, it needs to hit me on the RF Fender and hood (I need to replace those, and the bumper). I certainly don't want it to happen though.

Matt, glad you and your son are okay.
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI
Old 11-04-2002, 02:13 PM
Boone

Quote:
Originally posted by lee
Nobody is touching the title of this thread????
One of you married guys will have to chime in. (Had a Moose stick it's head in my bedroom window once, 'tho.)
Old 11-05-2002, 05:38 AM
Making tires round, Six now :)

Quote:
Originally posted by mattski
Is that a Weekday pass for $200 or anytime? We should really plan a "ski meet" this winter. We have a place up in the Catskills near Belleayre and Plattekill, and "Huntah" is ~ 45 minutes away.Matt
That's ANYTIME and most of the 3 mountains are high speed quads I like to get there early and leave around 11 or so Before the crowds come. I am usually pretty tired by then anyway

PS You got a real deer problem