Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 10-17-2009, 09:15 AM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Re: Time to play "Which sensor's broken?"!!!

Im done here... You don't get it.

The CTS is not going to cause stalling... ever

It will cause a hard starting and the fans to run all the time if it is bad. Thats it people. READ the service manuals and they will tell you what happens when a sensor is bad.

Get back on track with diagnosing the issue causing one bank to run poorly

Tom
Old 10-17-2009, 11:37 AM
Avalanche Alcyoneer
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by yt View Post

It will cause a hard starting and the fans to run all the time if it is bad. Thats it people. READ the service manuals and they will tell you what happens when a sensor is bad.

Tom
I dont know if you meant me or him, but I was advising to probe all sensor leads at the ECU to eliminate wiring issues between the sensor and ECU. I agree the CTS is most definitely NOT the problem here, but a power or sensor issue with the passenger bank.

"A person convinced against their will, is of the same opinion still"

New?? Find the downloadable SVX Online Service Manual Here
RECOMMENDED READING for newer SVX owners Here some cool info if not fully accurate.
Old 10-17-2009, 11:47 AM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal LS-L View Post
I dont know if you meant me or him, but I was advising to probe all sensor leads at the ECU to eliminate wiring issues between the sensor and ECU. I agree the CTS is most definitely NOT the problem here, but a power or sensor issue with the passenger bank.
there is no sensor for the pass bank...

I asked him to check power to the coils on the pass bank because.... It is the only thing on the pass bank that has a separate power source...

So, it is either the fact that the power to the coils is going out int. OR the cam is out of it. Neither of these things have been checked, just new ideas thrown into the ring. New ideas which are all wrong and cannot be the issue as long as he has explained it properly.

Sorry for my frustration but if you are asking for help, might want to listen to the help being suggested. I am not pulling this out of my ass.

Tom
Old 10-17-2009, 02:14 PM
Fighting with electricity

Send a message via AIM to SVX10 Send a message via Yahoo to SVX10

Quote:
Originally Posted by yt View Post

Tom
Tom,
I appreciate your help. To this point, this is the first time I've been told a hard "it's not the CTS causing stalling." Fine, that's great. What, then, is the mechanism preventing the fans from coming on when the coolant is @ operating temp and the CTS is reading the proper voltage? For that reason, I will check voltage @ ECU pins based upon the service manual, which I have been reading. Additionally, there was obviously some electrical malfunction at some point which fried the fusible link. That opens a whole can of worms outside of straightforward diagnostics.

Thanks, guys, for your help thus far. If y'all were local I'd buy you all some beers!

I'll diagnose per the manual and come back in the future with a new thread summarizing what I have done, learned, fixed, inspected, etc. You're right...it's time for this one to die. It's just a tough issue and I was hoping somebody would have a magic fix, but it's obviously not there. I can handle the diagnostics for a while.

Hasta luego fellas. Thanks again for your help!
92 SVX LS-L - Ebony Pearl - 2002 WRX 5MT trans w/STi gearset (rebuilt & installed myself ) - BMW E46 HID retrofit - Kenwood Headunit - Phoenix Gold 75x4 RMS amp - Alpine Type R 6.5" front components - Alpine Type R 6x9 3way rear speakers - 18"x9" Rota G-Force wheels w/225/40ZR18 Toyo T1R's - Mychailo's custom springs - Urethane front & rear sway bar bushings - KC exhaust (2.5" dual magnaflow) - Escaine seat swap - Removed Spoiler

I don't care if Subaru says it's STI...it will always be STi to me