How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 04-05-2009, 01:06 PM

Registered SVX
Installed new OEM front sway bar bushings

So I just installed new OEM front sway bar bushings the other day and my front end clunk is gone. I went with OEM because they were easy to install, inexpensive, and lasted 120k for the original ones. I tried to get some from earthworm but he was all out. I figured this was the easiest thing to try first to see if that was the problem and it seems it was. I might upgrade later but at least the clunk is gone. I checked my strut mounts and they are starting to split a little on the top so I will probably replace them later this spring as well. I'll try and post some pics of the old vs new bushings later.
Kool Blue air filter, 4500k HID's, airbox mod, Hella horns, WRX 6 disc stereo, Infinity Reference and Clarion Pro Audio speakers, Infinity basslink sub, ECUtune Stage 1v5, ECUtune TCU, Power mode mod, Mad muffler mod v1.3
Old 04-05-2009, 06:54 PM

Send a message via AIM to SVXMAN2001
Re: Installed new OEM front sway bar bushings

glad to hear the bushings worked out for you! For the driver's side, did you remove the stabilizer lever to get to the bushings? I am actually in the process of doing this job myself, getting the lever was a PIA, i had to use a hammer to get it off. Putting it back on has been even harder because it won't simply slide back into place so again I have to hammer it on and hammer it on in the same place I originally marked the sway bar and stabilizer lever to keep the alignment in spec...

Also for the bushings themselves, did you tighten the metal brace the holds the bushing completely? I found that when I did this the shape of the bushing became distorted, just wondering if it was absolutely necessary to over tighten the bushings.

Last edited by SVXMAN2001; 04-05-2009 at 06:57 PM.
Old 04-05-2009, 10:05 PM

Registered SVX

I didn't have to remove anything but the bushing brackets. On the driver's side I was able to slide the bushing towards the end of the bracket and it came right off. You could probably shim the bracket so it wouldn't compress the bushing as much. I tightened them down completely but I think if you didn't do this the bushing wouldn't compress around the sway bar and you would still have a clunking noise.
Kool Blue air filter, 4500k HID's, airbox mod, Hella horns, WRX 6 disc stereo, Infinity Reference and Clarion Pro Audio speakers, Infinity basslink sub, ECUtune Stage 1v5, ECUtune TCU, Power mode mod, Mad muffler mod v1.3

Last edited by svxash; 04-06-2009 at 05:17 PM.
Old 04-06-2009, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVXMAN2001 View Post
Also for the bushings themselves, did you tighten the metal brace the holds the bushing completely? I found that when I did this the shape of the bushing became distorted, just wondering if it was absolutely necessary to over tighten the bushings.
Not fully tightening the bushing brackets would be a big mistake. The rubber is supposed to be under compression.

dcb
Old 04-06-2009, 01:30 PM

Send a message via AIM to SVXMAN2001

The bushings definately are under tension, however, i noticed there is a point at which, when tightening, the bushing completely surrounds the sway bar (there are no gaps around the sway bar where hte bushing meets the bar), however, if i continue tightening the bushing scruntches (sp?) and ends up misshapened around the sway bar, to the point that there is a small gap between the sway bar and the bushing...