Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 06-20-2006, 09:48 PM
<<<Alcyone

Quote:
Originally Posted by cookiemunstr
Wait a sec, would that broken ABS tone wheel cause a noise in the rear??
A tone is a noise . . .

Dan
Old 06-21-2006, 07:07 AM

Yeah after driving home last night i was thinking about that. Vibration could be caused by an unballanced tire, and the tires are not too dead, still have a little life left. but it also has a plug in the treat near the outside side wall. Maybe we will see if i can find a replacement tire. They kinda need to be replaced anyways. The noise tends to start when i hit about 70km/hr, its hard to hear sometimes but you can hear it, and its comming from the driver side rear i beleive.

We talked to the mechanic and he said he had to replace 1 abs sensor in the process for some reason (unknown) and maybe that sensor he replaced it with could be bad. He said he is going to check out the noise and the abs on saturday.

thanks again
Old 06-27-2006, 07:11 AM

well the mechanic jsut gave a general respnse of i don't know. he said it could be the cv shafts, cracked tone wheel, rear diff. he said he sould need more time with it. But i need my car so that will have to wait. And he said he would also need a day to figure out the abs issue. I think its just some bad tires. I guess we will see in time.

Thanks all for the help
Old 06-27-2006, 09:38 AM
It's just a phase

Send a message via Yahoo to msvx95
Registered SVX
Hey read your ABS code...the computer module is under the passenger seat and will blink a red code...It shoud tell you what the problem is....Note the carpet has a hole to view the red light...just don't do it while driving...come to a complete stop and leave the car on and then view the number of blinks

You'll save money by not going back to the mechanic who wants more money anyways
Old 06-27-2006, 10:27 AM

I defenitly like that idea but i do require some more info on this hole with red light. Is there a how to on this?? if not where abouts should i be looking for this hole. I thought the computer was under the dash . . . but since i don't know much about the car i will take your word for it. as well once i get the blinks, is there a chart somewhere that i can look it up. I don't have any manuals for the car.

Thanks for the help
Old 06-27-2006, 10:30 AM

ok i think i found the how to, i will check it out tonight. thanks
Old 06-27-2006, 12:06 PM
It's just a phase

Registered SVX
There's a how to and a code chart on SVX-IW.com.
It tells you to drive at a certain speed for a certain amount of time, then stop the car to check it.

Push the passenger seat up as far towards the front of the car as possible. While sitting in the drivers seat...lean over and look near the passenger foot sill...the light will be aiming towards the center of the car... Does that make sense?

Here's kind of a pic...the abs module is in my box here, but would be located under the carpet in the bottom left corner of my pic

Old 06-28-2006, 04:30 AM

Well I tried to locate this light but with no success. I felt around under the passenger seat but didn't feel/see any kind of module there. Is it well hidden or does my car have it in a different location. I have a 92. And i didn't see any sort of light down there. Any other suggestions for the location of this light?

Thanks
Old 06-28-2006, 05:20 AM
It's just a phase

Registered SVX
That module you see in the box is under the passenger seat under the carpet...the light lense is located on the face of the module....If you have 15-20 mins, take the seat off (5) bolts and peel back the carpet to see if the module is there and plugged in.
Old 06-28-2006, 05:59 AM

Ok I will see what i can do tonight, i don't have my tools with me but i will on the weekend. If i can't see it by really getting in there then i will have to wait.

Thanks again for your help
Old 06-28-2006, 07:06 AM
It's just a phase

Registered SVX
I think you need just a long 13mm socket with extension...I forgot the size of the bolts that hold the seat down.
Old 06-28-2006, 07:27 AM
Making tires round, Six now :)

I think that bad wheel bearings can cause a tire wear pattern that will generate noise that sounds very similar to a bad wheel bearing, if rotated the noise will move with the tire to the new position. Easy DIY investigation.

Take care too,
John
Old 07-27-2006, 05:49 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to svxdriver420
Quote:
Originally Posted by cookiemunstr
are there any other indications of this being the issue. The transmision isn't new, it was one we found and put it in. We are also having from random shifting issues, and the the othen doesn't like to stay in overdrive. Could this be a sign?? My dad also found something about a vibration on some other thread, something about the drive shaft and the u-joints or something?? Not sure.

What about this random shifting issue?? I've got this problem.. When I first bought this svx it was making a loud noise from the rear. I thought it was the rear wheel bearings so I replaced them, and still had the noise so I replaced the diff.. The noise went away but I still had this shifing problem.. I took it to subaru to get it diogosed and they said it was the tranny.. so I pulled the tranny out of other SVX that wasn't giving me any problems and now its still doing the same damn thing.. I'm still tring to figure out whats wrong.. Anyone know what could be telling the transmission to downshift??