How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Not Exactly SVX

Old 07-09-2006, 05:45 PM
Good morning!

Send a message via AIM to NapaBavarian Send a message via Yahoo to NapaBavarian
What are all of the model names of the Subaru GL models?

I do believe I need a cheapo run arround, and the GL is at the top of the list, but I'm trying to search craigslist and it can be a biut of a pita without all the model names...
Return of the Pissed Platypus! X2
My dream (other than a pearlie)
1.8 SVXi and a laguna blue spoiler...somewhere
I decided to quit drinking, but I didn't like it so I quit not drinking.
Old 07-09-2006, 06:00 PM
Certified Porschephile

There were names other then GL and DL? I came into Subaru late, our first one was a 92 Legacy wagon. I remember the Loyale.
Old 07-09-2006, 08:29 PM
Hater

Quote:
Originally Posted by NapaBavarian
I do believe I need a cheapo run arround, and the GL is at the top of the list, but I'm trying to search craigslist and it can be a biut of a pita without all the model names...
search GOOGLE, then Craigslist.

1968-1969: Subaru 360. It's small (very small, see above)

1970 FF-1 1300 Star

1971 SoA introduces the very first Japanese mass production front-wheel-drive car to the US, the Subaru 1000 (first made in Japan 1966). The 1000 costs $1,699 and uses the Boxer engine design still used by Subaru.

1972-1973 GL, DL models introduced. While the models changed over the years, the names were used until 1989.

1974 4x4 introduced as a 1975 model, just pull the lever for 4x4. The 4x4 is a success.

1976 Subaru 4x4 is the car of choice for the US Ski team! They runs TV ads showing how well a Subaru does in in the snow, and advertise 'Inexpensive and built to stay that way'. Subaru is the 6th largest import car in the US.

1977 Subaru is now the 5th largest import in the US. The Brat is introduced (discontinued in 1987) and re-born in 2003 as the Baja. Brat is 'Bi-drive Recreational All-terrain Transporter'.
1980-84 Subaru advertises as the Ski Car. These models made 1980-1984 as Subaru starts a 5 year product cycle. The 'hill holder' introduced (previously on Studebaker etc) so cars with a manual transmission won't roll backwards. All Subarus now available with 4x4, turbo introduced.

1983 Subaru sells it's 1,000,000th car in the US.

1985-1989 New GL/DL, RS, and XT models introduced, with optional Hi/Lo dual range 4x4. These models are discontinued in 1989. The XT defines aerodynamic styling and available for a short time in a 6cylinder.

1986 full time All Wheel Drive offered on certain models, the part time system available through 1989.

1987 Subaru offers All-Wheel-Drive (awd) automatically varying the power delivered to wheels (Audi's Quattro system introduced in 1980). Subaru makes both AWD and On-Demand 4WD until 1994 when the last model with on-demand, the Loyale, was discontinued. Justy introduced, 3 cylinder, available in

1988 with the 1st ECVT (electronic continuously variable transmission) in the US.

1990 5 year re-design. Subaru renames the GL/DL as the Loyale (with on-demand 4wd, made until
1994) and introduces the new all-wheel-drive and front wheel drive Legacy and the 2.2L engine. There are a number of Legacy models. Many Legacys are made in Lafayette, Indiana, all are made there by 1994.

1991 The quirky SVX luxury sport coupe 3.3L 6cylinder available as a 1992 model. Discontinued in 1997, the SVX retains cult popularity years later. Right-hand-drive Legacy postal wagon available for rural mail carriers (discontinued in 1999 though aftermarket conversions are available).

1993 25 years selling in the US. Subaru introduces the smaller Impreza. Impreza continues with minor changes until it's re-designed in 2002. Special 25th Anniversary models SVX and Legacy available.

1994 Last year for the 1st generation Legacy and there are a number of Legacy versions available that year.

1995 5 year re-design, major changes for the Legacy including an all new body, interior, new standard dual front airbags (no more passive 'automatic' seatbelts). Outback is introduced as a trim package on the Legacy L. Subaru makes a few front wheel drive Legacy L models: Traction Control using the ABS system, a Convenience pkg with factory sunroof etc. All Legacys are now made in Lafayette, Indiana.

1996 New 2.5L DOHC engine introduced in the Legacy Outback and Legacy LSi models, automatic transmission only. The first real Legacy Outback is introduced, not just a trim package on the 1995 L. The Outback is a rugged road version of the Legacy wagon with more ground clearance, 2 tone with grey lower body molding, the new 2.5L engine etc. It's a huge hit. The Impreza Outback Sport version of the Impreza wagon is also introduced. The SVX is being phased out. Subaru makes 5000th right-hand-drive postal Legacy wagon. Subaru.com introduced.

1997 Outback Limited with leather introduced. All Subarus are now all wheel drive, which most were anyway. Legacy LS, LSi, and SVX models discontinued with only app 700 SVXs sold that year.

1998 Forester small SUV introduced, based on the Impreza platform. It's smaller than the Outback but bigger than the Impreza. Impreza 2.5L RS coupe with gold wheels introduced. The Outback Limited is available with optional dual sunroofs.

1999 Special '30th Anniversary' Legacy and Outbacks available (1969-1999 = 30 years)

2000 5 year re-design. Subaru completely re-does Legacy and Outback, finally offering power driver's seat, better cupholders, driver focused dashboard, a quieter ride among other improvements. ST-X concept truck, made as 2003 Baja (remember the Brat).

2001 First 6 cylinder 4door sedan and wagon offered in all new models: LL Bean wagon, VDC wagon, VDC sedan. (The 6cyl SVX and XT were 2door coupes).

2002 Impreza re-designed for the 1st time since it's 1993 introduction, and new World Rally winning turbo Impreza WRX sedan and wagon introduced after being available overseas for years. The WRX is a very popular and firmly Subaru in the perfomance car world. Outback now standard with All Weather pkg (heated seats etc), center console re-designed with 2 cupholders.

2003 Forester re-designed (front side airbags now standard) and Baja 4door truck introduced in an attempt to find a younger, warm climate, non-wagon buyer. Legacy available in a SE (special edition) package, Outback Audio Edition available mid-year with upgraded stereo system but no All Weather pkg.

2004 first year for 2.5L turbocharged Forester XT, Baja and the super high performance, limited production Impreza WRX-STi sedan. Legacy L and Outback H6 available in a 35th Anniversary package.

2005 Major 5 year re-design for the Legacy and Outback, with all new performance turbo and higher-horsepower 6 cylinder models and other improvements as they strive for a high-end and performance market. New 2.5L turbo models include Legacy GT and Outback XT, joining the Forester XT, Impreza WRX, WRX STi, and Baja turbos. The Impreza line gets minor upgrades including improved front cupholders, gray headlight lens, new alloy wheels, STi gets a stereo, wider rear wheels etc, limited production Outback Sport SE and RS sedan Sport packages offered. Baja turbo with leather (late availability) includes new standard 2piece hard tonneau cover.

2006 New model: B9 Tribeca SUV with optional 7 passenger arrived May 2005. Subaru's first 7 passenger (optional), 250hp 3.0L 6 cylinder. Legacy and Outback model lines refined with slow selling manual transmission models dropped, a new 6 cylinder cloth Outback and new Legacy 2.5i SE models added. Limited production Legacy GT SpecB available late in the year, only 500 to be produced, each with a numbered plate, all are GT Limited sedans, 5spd manual transmission, Titanium silver with brick red leather interior, 18" alloys, Bilstein suspension, Navigation system (only way to get Navigation with a manual) etc.
All Imprezas get a new front grill similar to the Tribeca, Advanced Front Airbag system, new tail-lights, aluminum hood and other upgrades.
WRX gets new 2.5L turbo replacing 2.0L, also gets standard 17" alloys, slightly decontented TR (tuner ready) sedan, and new Limited models with leather, sunroof, all weather pkg etc available for the first time (new for wagon, replaces WRX Premium sedan). STi gets new rear roof spoiler and other minor performance upgrades. Impreza RS renamed 2.5i. Impreza 2.5i sedan and wagon and Outback Sport now have new side airbags (they've been on the WRX and STi already).
Baja comintues with few changes, only 3 colors available for 2006.
Forester gets new names, loses the cloth XT and base XS models, all models get new front end and tailights, slight horsepower increase with active valves, (Xs now 172, XTs 230hp), Advanced Airbags and other minor refinements.

1987 928 S4 (Black) SOLD!
1997 SVX LSi (Ebony) SOLD!
2005 Legacy GT (Silver) [Cobb Stg 2+] SOLD!
1987 928 S4 (Black) SOLD!
2005 Forester XT Premium (Crystal Gray Metallic) SOLD!
2008 Lancer Evolution X MR (Apex Silver) [Cobb Stg 1+]
2015 Outlander Sport 2.4GT AWD (Mercury Gray)
2013 G37xS (Obsidian Black)

Last edited by Landshark; 07-09-2006 at 08:31 PM.
Old 07-09-2006, 08:40 PM
Certified Porschephile

Thanks for the info Alan. I love the comments about the SVX.
Old 07-09-2006, 09:02 PM

Send a message via AIM to Suby Fan Send a message via MSN to Suby Fan Send a message via Yahoo to Suby Fan
my mail carior in iowa had a subaru right hand drive
need work done? Have tools will travel
Old 07-09-2006, 09:28 PM
Certified Porschephile

Around here there are alot of Legacy wagons with RHD for mail service.
Old 07-10-2006, 06:09 AM

Quote:
The trim lines for the wagon and sedan were the base model DL, then the GL and top-of-the-line GL-10. The DL had quad, old-style retangular headlights. I think this applies for model years '86 through the intro of the Loyale nameplate in 1990.

dcb
Old 07-10-2006, 06:26 AM

Send a message via AIM to Suby Fan Send a message via MSN to Suby Fan Send a message via Yahoo to Suby Fan
are we all forgetting the brat trim level? or did i miss some one saying that?
need work done? Have tools will travel
Old 07-10-2006, 11:31 AM
Freezepop's are Awesome!!!!
Subaru Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Hocrest
Quote:
If you haven't yet check out www.ultimatesubaru.net although they have forums for all models, there is a high percentage of members that have the EA82 models that you're looking for.
Old 07-10-2006, 02:46 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
My cousin had a Justy RS
Old 07-10-2006, 02:52 PM
Certified Porschephile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earthworm
My cousin had a Justy RS
That mean rusty and slow?
Old 07-10-2006, 03:27 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal Tiger
That mean rusty and slow?
Hey, I almost reached 100mph in mine
Old 07-10-2006, 03:29 PM
Certified Porschephile

Downhill. I hear they hit 270mph when pushed out the back of a C-141.
Old 07-10-2006, 03:32 PM
Meow!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal Tiger
Downhill. I hear they hit 270mph when pushed out the back of a C-141.
Nah, they're not geared for top end

112mph @ redline in 5th
Old 07-11-2006, 08:31 PM
Good morning!

Send a message via AIM to NapaBavarian Send a message via Yahoo to NapaBavarian
I must have been drinking! I think I can get a 95-99 (probably closer to 95) outback for arround $3000, I don't need the uncomfort of a GL unless it is free, I can enjoy longer drives this way then I can have the SVX fixed up for the the weekends!
Return of the Pissed Platypus! X2
My dream (other than a pearlie)
1.8 SVXi and a laguna blue spoiler...somewhere
I decided to quit drinking, but I didn't like it so I quit not drinking.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: