Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 06-29-2006, 12:51 PM
(This account is in rememberance of)Duct Tape Man

Send a message via AIM to Yoda3000
Tranny Cooler/Filter Questions

I'm finally going to put a tranny cooler on my poor car.

It's a '92 LSL without any external filter. I'm going to add a filter and cooler.

The cooler I bought is 11"x6"x1.5", so i'm not sure it'll be thin enough to put in front of the condenser but if it is I'll put it there. Otherwise it's going in the d-side fender, like in the How-To doc.

My main question is should I put it in paralell or series? As far as I know the radiator is stock so it has the mesh in it. I considered cleaning the mesh by manually forcing some tranny fluid through the cooler in reverse (into a bucket), thus pushing out the gunk that may be there.

If I put it in series, it will run all the fluid through twice, thus getting it cooler.

If I put it in paralell, the fluid can completely bypass the clogged line if it so desires.

Advice? Opinions?
Thanks a lot.

--Mike

Early deceased SVXWN Member
July 1986 -- February 2007

Michael - Duct Tape Man

1992 Burgundy SVX LS-L, 138K: Brembo Slotted/Drilled Rotors, B&M Tranny Cooler and Filter, SmallCar Shift Kit

1992 Burgundy SVX LS-L, 123K: DEAD FROM FATAL HAIL DAMAGE, Parting out so PM me if you need something.

"It's only after we've lost everything that we're free to do anything" - Fight Club
"This is not my life, this is not my home, this is not me. I HATE THIS!" - Static X
Old 06-29-2006, 01:59 PM
Fighting with electricity

Send a message via AIM to SVX10 Send a message via Yahoo to SVX10
I'm not sure about the clogging concern...do you have any reason to believe that your cooler is currently clogged?

As for me, I had mine in series and it worked great. 70k on my 1st rebuilt tranny and it worked great up until the day I pulled it for a 5MT.
92 SVX LS-L - Ebony Pearl - 2002 WRX 5MT trans w/STi gearset (rebuilt & installed myself ) - BMW E46 HID retrofit - Kenwood Headunit - Phoenix Gold 75x4 RMS amp - Alpine Type R 6.5" front components - Alpine Type R 6x9 3way rear speakers - 18"x9" Rota G-Force wheels w/225/40ZR18 Toyo T1R's - Mychailo's custom springs - Urethane front & rear sway bar bushings - KC exhaust (2.5" dual magnaflow) - Escaine seat swap - Removed Spoiler

I don't care if Subaru says it's STI...it will always be STi to me
Old 06-29-2006, 05:14 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoda3000
I'm finally going to put a tranny cooler on my poor car.

It's a '92 LSL without any external filter. I'm going to add a filter and cooler.

The cooler I bought is 11"x6"x1.5", so i'm not sure it'll be thin enough to put in front of the condenser but if it is I'll put it there. Otherwise it's going in the d-side fender, like in the How-To doc.

My main question is should I put it in paralell or series? As far as I know the radiator is stock so it has the mesh in it. I considered cleaning the mesh by manually forcing some tranny fluid through the cooler in reverse (into a bucket), thus pushing out the gunk that may be there.

If I put it in series, it will run all the fluid through twice, thus getting it cooler.

If I put it in paralell, the fluid can completely bypass the clogged line if it so desires.

Advice? Opinions?
Thanks a lot.

--Mike
Yes do that Mike, reverse flush the cooler in the bottom of the radiator. Then set it up in series, with the filter first, then the additional cooler, then the OE water cooler, back to the box.

The filter will catch the crap, the additional cooler will remove the extra heat, and the water cooler will ensure that the ATF remains at the right temperature.

Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.
Old 06-29-2006, 05:30 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
I replaced my stock cooler entirely, and I don't think it ever gets too hot to touch. The threshold of pain is about 130degF. Obviously that doesn't tell me what the ATF temperature inside the tranny is, but I figure that's not bad.

I do have a tranny temp gauge sitting in a drawer in my garage. It never reads anything at all. I should really install it.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE
Old 06-29-2006, 11:31 PM

I doubt it's that clogged, the previous tranny had 130000+ miles on it before I replaced it, but I replaced it due to a bad front diff, not the transmission itself. The present transmission was rebuilt and used for a year or so before being put in this car. I was just concerned about possible buildup.

But put the aftermarket cooler first? I figured put the better cooler second in line before going back to the tranny.
http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/files/How-To/14330.jpg

Michael - Duct Tape Man

1992 Burgundy SVX LS-L, 138K: Brembo Slotted/Drilled Rotors, B&M Tranny Cooler and Filter, SmallCar Shift Kit

1992 Burgundy SVX LS-L, 123K: DEAD FROM FATAL HAIL DAMAGE, Parting out so PM me if you need something.

"It's only after we've lost everything that we're free to do anything" - Fight Club
"This is not my life, this is not my home, this is not me. I HATE THIS!" - Static X
Old 06-30-2006, 12:33 AM

Quote:
I doubt it's that clogged, the previous tranny had 130000+ miles on it before I replaced it, but I replaced it due to a bad front diff, not the transmission itself.
Haha, runon sentence. Anyways, thanks for your help so much. I think I'll do it as seen in that diagram. Can't wait to get the parts in! (Bought them from Summit)

Michael - Duct Tape Man

Old 07-01-2006, 08:04 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Quote:
I doubt it's that clogged, the previous tranny had 130000+ miles on it before I replaced it, but I replaced it due to a bad front diff, not the transmission itself. The present transmission was rebuilt and used for a year or so before being put in this car. I was just concerned about possible buildup.

But put the aftermarket cooler first? I figured put the better cooler second in line before going back to the tranny.
http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/files/How-To/14330.jpg
OK, but there is reason, that all the car manufactures use a water cooler, to cool the ATF. It is essential to maintain the ATF at its working temp. to allow some consistency in the hydraulic operation, as temp alters pressures and timing.

So they all use the engine radiator, as a temp stabiliser. To remove excess heat, or to bring the ATF temp up to operating temp. If the Air cooler is fitted after the water cooler, the temp of the ATF can be reduced, too low for the correct operation of the box. Valves, pistons, bands can all work slower, and take longer to reach maximum pressure.

Fitting the air cooler before the water cooler, allows it to remove the excess heat that a hard working trans can produce, then let the water cooler stabilise the temp to go back to the box.

So I would suggest, that to keep the trans operating as it should, the ATF from the box, go to the filter, then the Air cooler, then to the radiator cooler, then, back to the box.

Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.