SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 06-24-2006, 10:09 AM
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX
Fuel Additive That Works ?

Has anyone used this additive?

Various news shows tested this and it seems to work.

http://www.ethosfr.com/PressRoom/VideoGallery.html
Old 06-24-2006, 11:27 PM

gasoline is already a solvent. 8%-50% increas in a fleet is not that much when your talking single MPG numbers, and the only real well to tell is in a lab. Fleet vehicals tend to be deisels and not gas engines for the most part. The epa tests only say that the additive burns clean. A patent doesnt really mean anything. I cant find any independent tests on it, and everything i do see refers to deisels and biodeisel. Every link has the same paragraphs. Now if you want to use it to decarbonize an engine it seems to do that well. Their own website only addresses deisel engines. I think this additive is canola oil based, which is vegitable oil, which goes back to biodeisel.

What do you want an additive to do for you.

Personally i wouldnt use it.

nipper
Old 06-26-2006, 06:05 AM

Fuel additive that works?

Yeah, it works EXACTLY as intended: It cleans hard-earned money out of the wallets of gullible consumers.

dcb
Old 06-26-2006, 04:39 PM
Not as old as Randy

Significant Technical Input
I just replaced four trashed O2 sensors on a customer's car (not SVX) that had evidence of excessive additives. 4x$114 + 2.8 hours + 1hr. diag. @ $100/hr.

Yes, there were codes for all four sensors - eight in all: four for heater malfunctions and four for failure to transition across bias adequately. Once replaced they were all highly active in less than 25 seconds - the proof in the pudding.

How much crap you wanna toss in your tank now? I'm not picking on you, and especially not on anyone in particular. I just hope that this helps someone avoid a similar expense.
Old 06-26-2006, 05:04 PM
I miss my VR-4

Send a message via Yahoo to gtdanielgt
Ok,

Now I know I am opening up a HUGE can of worms here, and a lot is going to be said about this. I noticed a huge increase in performance when adding TYPE-F transmission fluid to my gas, maybe just a few ounces of the stuff. Bear in mind I've only added it to my toyota celica, which was a couple cars before the svx, but I had a friend add it in to his rx-7 , and he said he noticed a power increase as well. Since I haven't heard good or bad on it other that myself using it and a friend of mine, I would say don't put it in your svx. Marvel mystery oil or lucas fuel injection cleaner is probably the best stuff.

Thoughts anyone?

No more subie

Current Cars: 96 Chevy Caprice Impala SS clone
93 Chevy Full-size blazer
Soon: 2002 Honda CBR 954RR
Old 06-26-2006, 05:17 PM
Not as old as Randy

Significant Technical Input
The only huge difference you should notice is the white smoke coming out of the tailpipes. Oil is heavier and less volatile than gasoline so you would have slowed the flame propagation in the cylinders. It's easier, and probably cheaper, to just use cheap gas with a higher ethan/methan/alcoh - ol content.

ATF, Marvel Mystery Oil, et al were/are used as high detergents, not as BTU enhancers. As such, the primary goal was to dislodge crud/carbon from cylinders, valves and combustion chambers and to free stuck piston rings. About the only thing they are really good for is adding more crap to be turned into crud by way way of 'coking'. There is one possible way for these additives to help: if the rings are so stuck that they only provide the most marginal seal the oil would help enhance the piston-to-cylinder seal, much like the difference between a 'dry' and 'wet' compression test. In this instance the engine in question would have resembled a mosquito-fogging truck to begin with.