IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-04-2006, 09:42 PM
Freezepop's are Awesome!!!!
Subaru Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Hocrest
Battery light is on??

I just went out to swap in a loaner MAF out of the racer to see if that would fix the problem in my pearly (it did )

When I got into the car I noticed that the battery light on the dash was lit, with no key in the ignition??? I tried to start the car, and she started right up. The Battery light went out and everything seemed to be acting as usual. I turned the car off and the battery light came back on??? I tested the battery with the car off and it shows about 13v. A little low, but I've had BAD batteries in the car and never before seen that light. It also doesn't give the "glowing dash light" symptom typical of an Alt problem.

So what does that light mean? I have no real good light source to work on DXing it tonight, I'll play with it tomorrow...
Old 06-05-2006, 02:10 AM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hocrest
I just went out to swap in a loaner MAF out of the racer to see if that would fix the problem in my pearly (it did )

When I got into the car I noticed that the battery light on the dash was lit, with no key in the ignition??? I tried to start the car, and she started right up. The Battery light went out and everything seemed to be acting as usual. I turned the car off and the battery light came back on??? I tested the battery with the car off and it shows about 13v. A little low, but I've had BAD batteries in the car and never before seen that light. It also doesn't give the "glowing dash light" symptom typical of an Alt problem.

So what does that light mean? I have no real good light source to work on DXing it tonight, I'll play with it tomorrow...
Presuming your car is the same as the JDM model ---
The Battery/charge light is connected to an alternator output circuit and a positive supply via the ignition switch. When the ignition is first turned on the light is in circuit to ground via the alternator and is illuminated, however when the engine is started and the alternator produces voltage there is no ground and instead a positive supply, so that the light then goes off, showing the alternator is charging.

As you have had the light on with the ignition off, this indicates an ignition switch fault, or a short circuit energizing the "only ignition on" section of the power supply circuitry. Check to see if any items normally only operating with the ignition on are working with it off.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!

Last edited by Trevor; 06-05-2006 at 02:19 AM.
Old 06-05-2006, 07:30 AM

I am now getting, code 12 Ign Switch fault. Also when I turn the car to run the relays (Round silver and square brown) that are mounted to the opposite side of the plate as the ECU/TCU bundle cycle on/off on a one second cycle. When I start the car they stop cycling.

I unplugged almost every wire under the dash and could not cause the Batt light to go out. I unplugged every fuse and disconnected the alternator and all of the engine and tranmission connectors by the bellhousing. None had an effect on the light. So far the only disconnection that has caused the light to go out is when I disconnected the battery.

Last edited by Hocrest; 06-05-2006 at 07:53 AM.
Old 06-05-2006, 12:18 PM

Found the problem

The two wires to the plug on the alt were crossed.

Is that plug available from Subaru? or would I have to get a new harness. I'd like to replace those wires, I found a few cracks in the insulation.
Old 06-05-2006, 12:46 PM
Formerly known as henryrace@hotma

Quote:
Found the problem

The two wires to the plug on the alt were crossed.

Is that plug available from Subaru? or would I have to get a new harness. I'd like to replace those wires, I found a few cracks in the insulation.
Just curious how could they get crossed. Was there some recent work done in that area?
89 Yamaha FJ1200
07 Yamaha FJR1300

"GO RAVENS"
Old 06-05-2006, 02:42 PM

Sorry, not crossed but shorted... The insulation is brittle and has many cracks exposing the wires.
Old 06-05-2006, 03:07 PM
There's a storm coming.

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Quote:
I believe its only available as a compleat harness , or from a donor car.
You could make your own plug out of wires, connections, and liquid urethane from McMaster Carr.
the first equal length headers,
the first phenolic spacers,
the first Class Glass fiberglass hood,
the first with 4, 4.44s in his driveway

Fiberglass Hood thread
My locker
4.44 Swap link