Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 05-11-2006, 05:24 PM
#1 6MT In Cali

Send a message via AIM to gest24
What is the SAFC 2?

I was looking at the thread about Tom's old SVX on Ebay. Besides wanting to tell my mom to buy it and trade her my Pearl for it. I'm curious what the SAFC 2 is. What does it do, does it work with Stage 2v5 and what is the installation like? Loving the 191whp from the dyno plot (even tho it was on a dynojet), give me some more motivation knowing that 200whp is feesible.
1992 SVX LS-L: Now TomStock Stage 3... 6MT, R180 Rear, Tomstock Short Shifter and hard rubber mount, Group N Motor and Tranny Mount, Stage 2V6 Chip, Z32 MAF, Stage 3 CAI, Stebro, Intake Cams, 17" STi BBS Powder Coated Black, Bridgestone Potenza RE070, and Koni inserts w/Mychailo's Springs!

Sand Diego SCCA Solo 2 #308

RIP
84 VW Scirocco
02 WRX
88 XT6(regret the day I left her behind)

socaleuro.com They like the flat 6...

Check My New Homepage..
Old 05-11-2006, 05:49 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
Just a reminder that car is all go and no show. All the body panels need serious work.

Ask for SAFC:

http://www.autosportz.com/accessorie...i_S-AFC_II.htm
Old 05-11-2006, 05:56 PM
#1 6MT In Cali

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earthworm
Just a reminder that car is all go and no show. All the body panels need serious work.

Ask for SAFC:

http://www.autosportz.com/accessorie...i_S-AFC_II.htm
Thats how I like em...
1992 SVX LS-L: Now TomStock Stage 3... 6MT, R180 Rear, Tomstock Short Shifter and hard rubber mount, Group N Motor and Tranny Mount, Stage 2V6 Chip, Z32 MAF, Stage 3 CAI, Stebro, Intake Cams, 17" STi BBS Powder Coated Black, Bridgestone Potenza RE070, and Koni inserts w/Mychailo's Springs!

RIP
84 VW Scirocco
02 WRX

Check My New Homepage..
Old 05-12-2006, 12:09 PM
#1 6MT In Cali

Tom, any insight on the SAFC?

RIP
84 VW Scirocco
02 WRX

Check My New Homepage..
Old 05-12-2006, 12:35 PM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX
I never cared for piggy backs. I blew the load on the Stage2v5 for a reason. I say stick with what you got and work on it. That car is basically a race car. Like Earthworm said, all go and no show. The body is in bad shape not to mention some rust on the undercarraige and whatnot. I had a deal I couldn't pass up on when he offered to buy, thats the only reason I sold it.

Tom
Old 05-12-2006, 12:51 PM
#1 6MT In Cali

Def want to stray from Piggy Backs. Just curious about that, never heard of it before. Nothing wrong with an SVX race car.

RIP
84 VW Scirocco
02 WRX

Check My New Homepage..
Old 05-13-2006, 11:34 AM
sans SVX

Send a message via AIM to mbtoloczko
The SAFC2 is a tool that is used to adjust the afr by tricking the ECU. It makes the ECU think there is more/less air coming into the engine, and the ECU then adds more/less fuel than it would otherwise which then richen/leans out the afr. The SAFC does this by intercepting the MAF signal coming off the MAF sensor and raises or lowers the MAF signal voltage. Higher voltage = more air = more fuel = richer afr.

The SVX runs a little on the lean from the factory for better gas mileage (and probably emissions). An SAFC2 would then be used to increase the MAF signal voltage and therefore make the ECU dump more fuel. This wouldn't work well on the SVX though. The ECU can only accept a maximum voltage of about 5.1 volts, and the factory MAF is tuned to produce about 5 volts at air flow (peak HP). So, there's hardly any room to increase the MAF voltage and hardly any capability to richen the afr at peak HP where it would be most useful.

Visit my locker

SVX Mods: ND iridium spark plugs, Impreza RS fpr, afr tuned to 13.2:1 using a custom MAF bypass, custom exhaust, WRX 5MT w/ STi RA 1st-4th gear & stock WRX 5th gear, Exedy 13 lb flywheel & Sport Clutch, STi Group N tranny & engine mounts, urethane spacers in rear subframe, rear diff mounts, and pitch stopper, SVX Sport Strut Springs (185f/150r), custom 19 mm rear swaybar, urethane swaybar mounts, Rota Torque 17x8", 225/45-17 Proxes 4 tires, Axxis Deluxe Plus organic brake pads.
Old 05-13-2006, 04:06 PM
#1 6MT In Cali

The tune shop I organized a dyno day with the Owner was telling me about systems like that. Just wanted to see if that piggy back would augment the Stage 2v5 and Z32 MAF.

BTW MBT, you have a PM

RIP
84 VW Scirocco
02 WRX

Check My New Homepage..
Old 05-13-2006, 05:07 PM
sans SVX

Send a message via AIM to mbtoloczko
Quote:
Originally Posted by gest24
The tune shop I organized a dyno day with the Owner was telling me about systems like that. Just wanted to see if that piggy back would augment the Stage 2v5 and Z32 MAF.

BTW MBT, you have a PM
Sent you a PM back. :-) You could use an SAFC2 with Stage 2v5 and the Z32 MAF. With the SVX motor, the Z32 MAF signal output does not approach max signal that the SVX ECU can accept. The SAFC2 would allow you to have some control over the air/fuel ratio. Its not an ideal way to do it because the ECU also uses the MAF signal to control ignition timing, but lots of people have used it with success on other vehicles.

Visit my locker

SVX Mods: ND iridium spark plugs, Impreza RS fpr, afr tuned to 13.2:1 using a custom MAF bypass, custom exhaust, WRX 5MT w/ STi RA 1st-4th gear & stock WRX 5th gear, Exedy 13 lb flywheel & Sport Clutch, STi Group N tranny & engine mounts, urethane spacers in rear subframe, rear diff mounts, and pitch stopper, SVX Sport Strut Springs (185f/150r), custom 19 mm rear swaybar, urethane swaybar mounts, Rota Torque 17x8", 225/45-17 Proxes 4 tires, Axxis Deluxe Plus organic brake pads.