Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 10-14-2005, 12:53 PM

Send a message via AIM to DreamingOfSpeed Send a message via MSN to DreamingOfSpeed Send a message via Yahoo to DreamingOfSpeed
Trans Dying?

I think my car is about to kill her first transmission. When i bought it, it had a relatively new torque converter on is so i expected a longer life from it than this. (i've owned it less than 3 months) but since last week it has become more and more apparent that the transmission is possibly going bad.

I noticed last week it felt somewhat sluggish, but i passed it off as bad gas and thought i would look into it if was still a problem in a week or two. Then 3 days ago as i turned a corner it made a loud thump. It made the thump one other time that day and it then disappeared for a whole day. then it came back with vengeance yesterday night. it did it more times in 10 miles than i could count. anytime i hit a bump or turned a corner it would thump, sometimes doing double or triple thumps. So today i had my dad drive it to work to have him decide if sounded like a CV joint. It only made the thump a few times but he called me during his lunch hour to ask if i knew my transmission is slipping. something it didnt do yesterday when i drove it that i'm aware of.

i drive the car alot (200 miles a week), but i'm fairly gentle on it. how likely is it i'm about to loss a transmission? Is there anything that can be done to save it (new clutch ect.) or am i destined to move on to tranny number 2? i dont know which gears its lsipping in or anything more about the slipping b/c i havent driven it myself yet. Once i know i'll post the info.

I read a post saying that most people spend close to 2000 dollars for a new transmission (or a rebuilt one) I paid 2200 for the car including taxes (the power steering didnt work for those of you who dont remember)
Old 10-14-2005, 01:08 PM
A Fake Vision

I THINK.. that you are destined to replace your trans... with a 5MT!
i swear.. my ouija board told me!!
Old 10-14-2005, 01:15 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
Do you notice it slipping now?

The thump could just be a failed mount (engine/tranny/differential)
Old 10-14-2005, 01:15 PM

Send a message via AIM to DreamingOfSpeed Send a message via MSN to DreamingOfSpeed Send a message via Yahoo to DreamingOfSpeed
no i dont think so. unless i'm a prodigy at driving a stick.

i bought my car the same exact day i got my first drivers license. i'm not really ready to start driving a stick (let alone learn on a conversion on my subi! after all the work i certianly dont want to hurt it)

i havent driven it since the slip began, that i know of, so no i havent feel the slip

Last edited by DreamingOfSpeed; 10-14-2005 at 01:18 PM.