Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > Regional SVX Forum & Clubs > European Forum

Old 07-01-2005, 04:43 AM
Blackbir2001

Petr,
I will be very interested in hearing how you progress. I am still driving my car, but, like you, going very carefully on sharp turns!
Dave
Old 07-07-2005, 02:52 PM

Easy as pie!

I've done this job, all you need to do is drop the exhausts, prop and rear gearbox mount then the last section of the box unbolts to reveal the clutch pack and duty solenoid. I did this on my first SVX. (incidentally the previous owner had driven 25000 miles stuck with the binding after the gearbox place told him there was nothing wrong, it turned out that when they rebuilt the unit they had not plugged the solenoid back in!!). A couple of tips though. 1) drain the gearbox oil first as it will drench you when the box separates. then when you try to wash your clothes the ATF will knacker the washing machine and your wife will hit the roof. 2) separate the box slowly and carefully, otherwise the 'park' lug will fall out and dissapear into the enormous puddle of ATF on the floor (see note 1). Genuinely though, its not a job to be scared of. Al
Old 07-26-2005, 04:13 AM
Blackbir2001

Petr,

Just to let you know that I now have the transfer valve - I picked it up this morning. The car is now booked in to have the work done next week. I will let you know how it goes.

Dave
Old 07-26-2005, 08:46 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Nobody Send a message via MSN to Nobody
Hi Dave, mine arrived after one week after order (two weeks from now) and car is booked for replacement on 1st of August. Seems we will have it done in the same time but who knows what else will have to be replaced and how long I will be waiting for it.
Petr
Old 08-04-2005, 05:50 AM
Blackbir2001

Harvey, Petr, Phil,
I now have the black machine back after the new transfer valve has been fitted (3 hours labout by the way). Although it is early days yet, it does appear to have completely fixed the problem. I have only driven it for about 30k, but I have done a number of sharp turns including some full lock turns in the company car park. There is no trace of the juddering/binding at all.
So, I am delighted.
Many thanks to everyone who has given me advice, and, in particular to Harvey and Phil, without whom I would probably have ended up having the whole gearbox rebuilt, possibly without solving the problem.
Old 08-04-2005, 08:38 AM

Grrr, my car is still untouched. They have too much work (mostly Audi - I would never buy Audi with AT) and have no time to take it apart.
So you mean you just replaced tranfer valve and it is OK? No other job like new plates etc.? They promised to do it tommorow and call me so I will post my progress. Maybe I should buy some Transmission Shop instead of hard working in IT industry...
petr
Old 08-04-2005, 09:23 AM
Blackbir2001

They only replaced the transfer valve and it appears to have solved the problem. Let's hope your garage does manage to fix yours tomorrow.
Dave
Old 08-04-2005, 04:59 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbir2001
Harvey, Petr, Phil,
I now have the black machine back after the new transfer valve has been fitted (3 hours labout by the way). Although it is early days yet, it does appear to have completely fixed the problem. I have only driven it for about 30k, but I have done a number of sharp turns including some full lock turns in the company car park. There is no trace of the juddering/binding at all.
So, I am delighted.
Many thanks to everyone who has given me advice, and, in particular to Harvey and Phil, without whom I would probably have ended up having the whole gearbox rebuilt, possibly without solving the problem.
Thanks for coming back to let us know how it worked out. The valve seems to stick in the on position, may be we don't work the LSD hard enough.

If we drive 'soft and easy' and don't cause the Limited Slip Clutch to operate, the transfer valve will stay in the off position, so that when the car does get some wheel spin (wet grass, mud, ect) the transfer valve moves to a position that it has not been in for sometime, so it sticks in that position.

I think it could be best to exercise the valve every now and then, by either spinning the wheels on wet grass, or inserting the fuse for a few minuits, to get the valve to move to the on position, so that it stays free.

I try to spin the wheels on the grass, every month or so, to keep it free.

Harvey.
Ps. This is only for the VTD AWD, Euro version. The US Transfer AWD is different, and inserting the fuse, does not move the valve to the on positon. That version can only be exercised by spinning the wheels on wet grass.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.
Old 08-05-2005, 02:57 AM
Phil & Belha

No need to thank me Dave, Harvey is the real guru. I'm glad it worked out for you and particularly that you avoided a costly rebuild.

Petr, let us know if it works for you too.

Phil.
1994 Alcyone SVX S40-II
2004 Subaru Legacy 2.5 SE Sports Tourer
1996 Subaru Legacy 2.2 GX Wagon
1988 Subaru Justy J12 SL-II
Old 08-05-2005, 06:24 AM

Hi, just spoke with my tranny guy, job finished, car ready on Monday so I will have chance to test it next weekend. My story is: plates are OK, like new ones; potencial problem with tranfer valve (he said the same story like Harvey posted, so it is more common, I think), replaced bearing . As I remeber there are two bearings one let's say front and one rear. The rear one was completly dead wich caused some strange mechanical sound I was complaining as well. He told me he never saw this for 15 years he works on trannies. So cost of my repair is 130 USD in parts excl. labour. We will see how it works on the road next weekend.
Maybe I should test it on some wet grass
Petr
Old 08-06-2005, 04:51 AM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nobody
Hi, just spoke with my tranny guy, job finished, car ready on Monday so I will have chance to test it next weekend. My story is: plates are OK, like new ones; potencial problem with tranfer valve (he said the same story like Harvey posted, so it is more common, I think), replaced bearing . As I remeber there are two bearings one let's say front and one rear. The rear one was completly dead wich caused some strange mechanical sound I was complaining as well. He told me he never saw this for 15 years he works on trannies. So cost of my repair is 130 USD in parts excl. labour. We will see how it works on the road next weekend.
Maybe I should test it on some wet grass
Petr
Everybody contributes something, thats what makes this place, such a good resource.

It'll be OK Petr.The bearing being unusually worn, may mean that at some time, the car may have been towed on one set of wheels. That happened to a member here, towed on the rear wheels, for a short distance and distroyed the planet gears, in the AWD diff.

If the front is lifted and towed on the back wheels, the rear wheels will drive the gearbox main shaft, through the planetary gears that were not designed to run that fast. The same will happen if it is towed on the front wheels. This VTD must be 'all up lifted'.

You could flat tow it for a short distance, say a couple of miles/ks, at no more than 30mph/50kph. The mainshaft is running without lube.

Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.
Old 08-13-2005, 11:35 AM

Hi everybody, today I have tested may SVX and it runs OK. No strange sound of bad bearings. I am really satisfied and it seems to be also very cheap for SVX. Now I have to sort another problem what makes me worry. Please see my special thread.
Thanx for help, Petr
Old 08-13-2005, 02:56 PM
Blackbir2001

What 'special thread' Petr?
Dave
Old 08-13-2005, 03:21 PM

This one
Petr

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: