Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 05-19-2004, 04:03 PM

Red face Really mad about cracked engine...need advice fast

Ok so since last september, I have only been able to drive my baby for about 1 whole month. The other times she was in my driveway awaiting a rebuild, then I she was running fine until prom night last month. Was a classic prom story, break down wearing a tuxedo along with your date. The power steering pump decided that prom night was the night to go, spray fluid all over the engine and leave us stranded. Well anyways I got my new to me PS pump yesterday and installed it without any major problems. I have a new O ring coming tomorrow for it, and the PS seemed to be working fine and I worked the squeal out, hile test driving it I notice a leak...but not power steering but coolant. I look under the PS pump and notice puddles of coolant. So today I undid all of yesterdays work and removed the PS pump to discover that the bolt in the back which also holds on the resivoir had cracked the engine block. It is not that bad of a crack and it is on the raised "fins" portion of the engine. My dad is running out tonight to get some JB weld and we wil let it cure over night. Hopefully I will have her running by this weekend for the ball, or else I will have to drive my date in my parents '95 caravan.

So my question is: has anybody used JB wled and how did it hold up ?Also besides the little puddles of coolant there is a little coolant leaking from around the crossmember of the tranny. Not sure if it is just running back or what...but I think it was becasue it was dripping on to the exhaust..

I can post pics too if anyones interested.

Just thought that I would share my bad experience, and don' tighten those bolts too much.

Caleb
Old 05-19-2004, 06:55 PM
Making tires round, Six now :)

That is sad. How did your date take it? What did she say?

JB weld is GOOOOOD stuff. Make sure you clean off the metal real good with brake parts cleaner or equal first. You will have to drain the coolant system down enough so no coolant is in the area on the inside and leave the radiator cap off.

I have used JB weld metal on cast iron parts with small cracks to seal oil. It works well. Do they make one for aluminum?

If the crack is in the bolt hole fill it up with JB and use the bolt to force it into the crack. Just as a hydraulic ram would do.

Maybe the bolt is too long or missing a few washers? Seems I remember something similar when I did my ps pump. Switched bolts by mistake.
Old 05-21-2004, 12:27 AM
SVX Appeal

Generally things like that don't just break. I repaired a similar problem on a VW engine mount. The boss on the aluminum transmission case broke off. The reason it broke was because one of the three bolts that held it on was missing. Check for loose, damaged, or missing parts.

The solution was to weld a big blob of metal to the broken boss, carve it to the right shape with a file, and then drill a hole in it. You should be able to find someone who can do this for you for less than $100. (Which kinda stinks, but isn't that bad.)

Try the JB Weld first. A welding supply shop should have special chemicals for preparing a surface to be welded. For welding aluminum, it's crucial that the surface be absolutely clean. The chemicals they use for this also work very well to clean a part prior to gluing. I use MagnaFlux SpotCheck for this. First I use the Penetrant, then the Remover. Good stuff. Brake cleaner does work well also. Mix the JB Weld very thoroughly, as this is a common reason for it failing to perform.
Old 05-21-2004, 08:39 AM

Well the girlfriend took it great, me on the other hand was less than happy, but she did a good job telling me that it would be ok and not to worry about it.

I used JB weld and it worked great, but we overlooked filling the bolt hole so once the lower crack was fixed, the coolant began to leak out of the bolt hole, the path of least resistance. Well I stuffed cork down the hole, some high temp. silicon, and finally wrapped the bolt in teflon tape. It is as good as new now, along with the power steering.

Thanks guys, and JB weld is a lifesaver. I will have my car ready for the ball tomorrow now.

Caleb
Old 05-21-2004, 02:03 PM
Row faster...I hear banjos!!!!

Glad you were able to fix the SVX! Have a great time at the ball tomorrow...

-Chike

2013 Cosmic Blue 5spd Evo X GSR
2006 Galaxy Gray 6MT RX-8 (sold)
2006 Steel Gray WRX TR (sold)
1996 Brilliant Red SVX L (sold)