Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 03-02-2004, 02:33 PM

New Double DIN Stereo

Before buying a new Sony WX-4500X Double DIN stereo I consulted at least three sources on how to remove the exisitng unit. All sources said you start with rmoving the center air vent panel and the instrument cluster surround. WHAT A LOAD OF RUBBISH! I started doing it that way and wasted about an hour and gave up in fear of breaking very visible plastic.

Plan B was MUCH easier. I just pulled out the ash tray. Next close the stereo door and reach behind it from below and pop off the grey backup piece in the door. The black trim surrond of the radio is next off. Two or three more screws and out it comes. I was also told that the "can" would need to be modified; it was suggested that there was a central piece between the stock amp and CD unit. MORE RUBBISH. Undo 4 screws on each side of the can and out slides the both pieces from the can. Slip in the new unit and assemble with its screws and it is ready to slide back in the car.

Oh yeah, the wiring. That is another story. I did not have a complete wiring list for the stock stereo. So I had to do some hunting and testing to determine which wires were + and - on each speaker, the power wires, antenae and illumination. I got it all right the first time, with one possible exception. There are two illumination power supplies to the stock amp (not the CD player). I flipped a coin and the one I used does dim the Sony illumination when you turn on the lights but it is not sensitive to the dash brightness adjustment. If I get annoyed by the brightness I may pull it out and switch to the pink rather then red wire.

If anyone wants the wire colors for the stock unit send me an email to <lotuselan2@comcast.net>.

Now for a comment on the Sony Double DIN unit. Ignore the graphics by closing the door and just LISTEN. Unfreakin' believeable, for no external amp, but upgraded front speakers! I used to find excuses to take the SVX out for a ride; now I look for excuses to listen to the music!
Ken
'69 Lotus Elan +2 w/Cosworth BDR
'04 Audi allroad 2.7 TT Black