Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 02-23-2004, 07:42 AM
kmin

Wink oh no, not another transmission thread!!

Okay okay, I know everyone's sick to death of reading yet another transmission thread. I've searched the forum though, and I'm just looking for opinions on what I'm planning to do, so please read on and either give a thumbs up or a thumbs down. Thanks!!

I'm going to get a Permacool tranny filter and a B&M cooler (19000 GVW rating). The order that they will be hooked up will be from tranny to Permacool to stock radiator to B&M (in series). That way the Permacool should stop whatever particles might otherwise get caught in the "mesh" in the radiator. I also won't have to worry about the radiator not functioning as it should (hopefully), thus eliminating the need to hook it up in parallel as a failsafe. I figure running them in series will allow for a greater cooling effect.

How does that sound? I'm still looking for an optimal place to mount the B&M cooler, any suggestions?

Thanks everyone! I still really like this forum...
Old 02-23-2004, 07:58 AM
Fight Eminent Domain Abuse!

Send a message via AIM to mohrds Send a message via Yahoo to mohrds
Re: oh no, not another transmission thread!!

Quote:
Originally posted by kmin
Okay okay, I know everyone's sick to death of reading yet another transmission thread. I've searched the forum though, and I'm just looking for opinions on what I'm planning to do, so please read on and either give a thumbs up or a thumbs down. Thanks!!

I'm going to get a Permacool tranny filter and a B&M cooler (19000 GVW rating). The order that they will be hooked up will be from tranny to Permacool to stock radiator to B&M (in series). That way the Permacool should stop whatever particles might otherwise get caught in the "mesh" in the radiator. I also won't have to worry about the radiator not functioning as it should (hopefully), thus eliminating the need to hook it up in parallel as a failsafe. I figure running them in series will allow for a greater cooling effect.

How does that sound? I'm still looking for an optimal place to mount the B&M cooler, any suggestions?

Thanks everyone! I still really like this forum...
If you put the aftermarket cooler before the factory one it will serve no purpose. The coolant runs too hot and will just heat up the tranny fluid before it gets back to the tranny.

If you insist on running them in series (I recommend just bypassing the stock cooler), run the new cooler after the radiator. I would still install the filter first in line before any cooler.

Doug
Black over Claret with 2.5" setback spoiler; 202,000 miles; Mods: B&M Cooler
1994 LSi (4/93)
Bordeaux Pearl; 198,000 miles; Mods: Weight reduction.

1969 Mustang GT Convertible
1970 Mustang Convertible
2000 Ford Excursion
Sola lingua bona est lingua mortua.

My Locker
Old 02-23-2004, 08:04 AM
kmin

hmm

Hmm, I must have phrased what I said wrong, because that's exactly what I meant! lol... tranny to permacool (before hitting any coolers), to stock radiator, to B&M cooler, back to tranny... I figure running them in series won't hurt.. even if one should fail for whatever reason, there's still the other.
Old 02-23-2004, 08:16 AM

Edited to correct my brain dump (see with Doug's help below):

What Doug was saying was put it in this order, Permacool filter, radiator cooler, then B&M cooler.

This is generally consider a "cooler" running solution.

and since I'm editing - I agree with what Doug put in, I just can't seem to type it correctly.
BTW (another edit since I'm on a roll): If you are going to use the OEM radiator cooler, the TSB for the filter kit speaks to backflushing the radiator cooler to make sure the gunk is out - just a shot or two of compressed air - watch out for flying ATF tho. This is something I would consider a must.

Last edited by lee; 02-23-2004 at 10:14 AM.
Old 02-23-2004, 10:02 AM
Fight Eminent Domain Abuse!

Send a message via AIM to mohrds Send a message via Yahoo to mohrds
Quote:
Originally posted by lee
What Doug was saying was put it in this order, Permacool filter, B&M cooler, then radiator cooler.

This is generally consider a "cooler" running solution than radiator followed by B&M.
No, I meant the opposite. Permacool filter, stock radiator, then the B&M cooler

Our engines have such a high operating temperature, the tranny fluid is too hot when it comes out of the radiator tank. The B&M cooler brings it closer to the air tempearture before it returns to the tranny.

Doug
Black over Claret with 2.5" setback spoiler; 202,000 miles; Mods: B&M Cooler
1994 LSi (4/93)
Bordeaux Pearl; 198,000 miles; Mods: Weight reduction.

1969 Mustang GT Convertible
1970 Mustang Convertible
2000 Ford Excursion
Sola lingua bona est lingua mortua.

My Locker
Old 02-23-2004, 10:39 AM
Shot king

Quote:
The B&M cooler brings it closer to the air tempearture before it returns to the tranny.
does anyone know what temp the transmission fluid needs to be to operate correctly?
Old 02-23-2004, 10:57 AM
kmin

best placement?

still wondering what's the best placement for the cooler. in front of the radiator was one setup that i saw somewhere, but i'm wondering if there are any other suggestions... if so, maybe i could mount a larger cooler somewhere else. thoughts?
Old 02-23-2004, 11:34 AM
sans SVX

Send a message via AIM to mbtoloczko
Re: best placement?

Quote:
still wondering what's the best placement for the cooler. in front of the radiator was one setup that i saw somewhere, but i'm wondering if there are any other suggestions... if so, maybe i could mount a larger cooler somewhere else. thoughts?
If you can fit it in front of the a/c condensor, that's the best place. It takes a bit of work to get there though. Depending on your winter climate, you may want to consider adding a by-pass thermostat for the B&M. Last winter, my tranny ran consistently too cool on the highway (when the temp was below 50F) causing the TC to constantly lock and unlock. I installed a Hayden by-bass thermostat on the B&M this winter, and now the ATF temp holds steady at 150F on the inlet into the tranny, and once the tranny warms up, the TC works as it should. Another benefit is that keeping the ATF at proper temp improves gas mileage.

Visit my locker

SVX Mods: ND iridium spark plugs, Impreza RS fpr, afr tuned to 13.2:1 using a custom MAF bypass, custom exhaust, WRX 5MT w/ STi RA 1st-4th gear & stock WRX 5th gear, Exedy 13 lb flywheel & Sport Clutch, STi Group N tranny & engine mounts, urethane spacers in rear subframe, rear diff mounts, and pitch stopper, SVX Sport Strut Springs (185f/150r), custom 19 mm rear swaybar, urethane swaybar mounts, Rota Torque 17x8", 225/45-17 Proxes 4 tires, Axxis Deluxe Plus organic brake pads.
Old 02-23-2004, 11:38 AM
sans SVX

Send a message via AIM to mbtoloczko
Quote:
Originally posted by Shot king

does anyone know what temp the transmission fluid needs to be to operate correctly?
Optimum is anywhere from 150F to 190F. Petroleum-based ATFs can only handle temps up to about 210F before they start to rapidly degrade. Synthetics can handle temps up to at least 250F, but I wouldn't let the ATF get that hot on my car.

Visit my locker

SVX Mods: ND iridium spark plugs, Impreza RS fpr, afr tuned to 13.2:1 using a custom MAF bypass, custom exhaust, WRX 5MT w/ STi RA 1st-4th gear & stock WRX 5th gear, Exedy 13 lb flywheel & Sport Clutch, STi Group N tranny & engine mounts, urethane spacers in rear subframe, rear diff mounts, and pitch stopper, SVX Sport Strut Springs (185f/150r), custom 19 mm rear swaybar, urethane swaybar mounts, Rota Torque 17x8", 225/45-17 Proxes 4 tires, Axxis Deluxe Plus organic brake pads.
Old 02-23-2004, 11:48 AM
kmin

thanks!

thanks for the great info.. i'll keep that temp info in mind. i don't anticipate any winter weather conditions to come up... since i'm hoping to move west to arizona or california anyway! sorry, but winter just doesn't agree with me... i'll keep the bypass suggestion in mind though. thanks!
Old 02-23-2004, 12:42 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
Re: best placement?

Quote:
I put mine in front of the AC condenser, and it's really not the chore some make it out to be. I think it's the best place, and it fits easily. I recommend removing the entire bumper (beam and cover) so you have easy access to the area and won't bang up the radiator fins trying to wedge the cooler in there.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE
Old 02-24-2004, 02:21 PM
tmaslar

How much room is there in front of the condenser? Will a 1 1/2" thick cooler fit? Or is the 3/4" all there is enough room for?

Thanks,
Tom