How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 02-01-2004, 05:42 PM
neon03

picking a mechanic

I'm finally getting my car fixed and wondered will I be better off going to the dealer to get work done or taking my chance with a random shop? I need my seals replaced on the engine and a transmission hose but I dont want to pay some rediculous price. I dont have a regular mechanic so I would endup picking a shop by random and I dont know if this is something that should be handled by an experienced shop or not. any advice? I'm located in Maryland if anyone wants to recommend a shop.
Old 02-01-2004, 05:54 PM

there are several MD members.

pending their reply here's my method when I can't or don't want to do the work. Ask at a bunch of places, i.e., a parts house, a gas station or two that dosn't handle the kind of work you're thinking of, find out where the local police dept gets their work done (may not apply in big sities). Ask at work. Keep asking until two or more people recommend the same place.
Old 02-01-2004, 06:44 PM
No front plate on My SVX

Send a message via MSN to CDG
I agree with the first comment, there are several local SVX members, they will reply, you may want to move this post to the Technical Q&A but your local SVXers will tell where not to go.

As for the 2nd opinion, very well done Lee, its very good advice, ask people you know who they trust, and ask the local shops that you do deal with about where they take their Japanese cars.

Current Ride, 1985 Honda Aero 80, stock 3024 klms
Old 02-02-2004, 03:48 AM
Way over-the-hill Member

I have had good luck with HERITAGE SUBARU, in Owings Mills. In fact, mine goes in today for Timing Belts, Water Pump, Drive belts, Trans. Flush, etc. etc.
'03 Forester XS 214,000 miles
'05 Outback 3.0R
Old 02-04-2004, 07:33 PM

Good shop in westminster

EIP Tuning in Westminster, MD is a good shop. They specialize in high performance imports, mainly VW, but do others as well. I had them do my wheel bearings, cold air intake, timing belt, and a few others as well. I can't think of anything negative to say about them. Except you pay for what you get. I think there labor rate it around $60 or $65 an hour. But the guys no their sh*t.

I have a local shop closer to home I go to for minor things I don't want to tackle myself

If EIP is to far, I would just ask some people you know about a good shop that might be closer, and do a little research at the dealer. Ask them if they have any regular SVX owners that bring their cars in, or if they have ever done the work that you need done.

Best of luck.

Oh yeah, http://www.eiptuning.com
Old 02-05-2004, 03:35 PM
neon03

I was going to get a intercooler put on my XR4TI at EIP but they are real expensive but do very good work except for when they chipped my friends jetta and messed it up.
Old 02-07-2004, 05:05 AM
Way over-the-hill Member

I got my SVX back from Heritage Subaru yesterday. Had all of the Belts replaced (inner and outer). Had my 2nd 120,000 mile service, and had a frozen caliper replaced (not bad for 248,000 miles. I had a drain and refill on tranny #3 just for good luck. I also used their Mr. Tire service right there at the dealership to get a set of Continental 'EXTREMES'.

That's what I call one stop shopping.

I'm still satisfied with the service there.

There was another '92 Black SVX waiting to be serviced there, it only had 139,000 miles on the ticker (just 'broke' in!!), anyone here own that one? I don't think it was Ron's.
'03 Forester XS 214,000 miles
'05 Outback 3.0R
Old 02-07-2004, 06:45 AM
calmone

ian who trades as "mastertech" in sykesville works on my cars, including the svx. he's a jag trained mechanic (web site is "fixmyjag.com); phone 410-781-7004 (pretty bad that i know the number by heart, grrr). anyway, his labor rate is $60/hr., but he often takes care of small stuff and throws it in. he'll let you get your own parts if ya want to, some shops won't.
Old 02-07-2004, 08:33 PM
Invisible avatar
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Ron Mummert Send a message via Yahoo to Ron Mummert
I'm still satisfied with the service there.

There was another '92 Black SVX waiting to be serviced there, it only had 139,000 miles on the ticker (just 'broke' in!!), anyone here own that one? I don't think it was Ron's. [/B][/QUOTE]

Nah, not me. Mine's logged just over 128K, so I haven't even drained the break-in oil yet. I too, had just about the same stuff done at Heritage at 100K, with no complaints yet.

Ron.

'92 stock semi-pristine ebony - 160K
'96 Grand Caravan - 240K
'01 Miata SE - 79K
'07 Chrysler Pacifica - 60k - future money pit.