How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 01-14-2004, 05:18 PM
JLittell

Exhaust Noise Help.. Not Heatshields

My exhaust pipe on the left side (drivers side in the rear part of the car only) rattles when I start it up in cold outside temps. If I put my foot on the exhaust tip while the cars running the rattle ceases. I had the car up 2 months ago by Midas as they could locate the source or find any faulty heatshields. Can this be a bracket or hanger that's gone bad? The rattling goes away once the car reaches normal opp. temp. Any ideas? Looking for a underside pic of this exhaust area so I can put this annoyance to rest!
Old 01-14-2004, 06:44 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
It's not the tip or resonator?
Old 01-14-2004, 07:17 PM
JLittell

No it's not the tip. I guess I need to chop the resonator off. Is there any emission stipulations if I take it off? Does a resonatorless SVX still sound the same?

Last edited by JLittell; 01-14-2004 at 07:38 PM.
Old 01-14-2004, 08:29 PM
deruvian

When the exhaust resonator is removed, the sound is nearly the same. When I had mine removed, the tone became just slightly deeper. The only noticable difference while driving is that I can now just barely hear the exhaust system when cruising at about 2k RPM.

There are no stipulations against removing the resonator. A local muffler shop can do it for about $20 in about 15 minutes.
Old 01-19-2004, 04:35 PM
JLittell

Well it could be very well be the tips... I get the noise when I knock on the tips especially the right side. Can rocks somewhere/ somehow get inside the OEM tips to cause noise?
Old 01-20-2004, 10:19 AM

I had the same type of rattle on my first 92 and my mechanic found a piece of metal right near the inside of the bumper opening that he was able to just bend away from the exhaust tip and the noise was gone, no charge! I think it may have been a corner of the heat shield around the muffler that was vibrating against one exhaust pipe/tip. Good Luck.
Old 01-20-2004, 11:40 AM
From POST-***** to LURKER

I have a slite vibration that ya can hear if ya kneel down next to the tips at idle... If you put your hand on the tips the vibration goes away... I wonder what it is...

Dosen't bother me all that bad though, but I wouldn't mind getting it fized though

** SOLD **1998 Subaru Legacy 2.5GT Wagon - MOST RELIABLE car I've ever owned
** SOLD **2006Subaru WRXSTi (Former "Boxer4Racing.com / Continential Tire" STi) - Built EJ22t block / EJ207 JDM STi "big port heads" - 9,000rpm MONEY PIT!!!
** SOLD ** 1995 "Tree-Hugger Green" SVX L AWD(5 MT) --- "Gumby" 130K miles #399 in MY95, my original love...